2023-2024 NCAA Football Thread

ACC will be adding Stanford, Cal, and SMU next year for the 2024 season.

Might as well drop Atlantic from the name and call it the Coastal Conference. And the PAC-4 now becomes the 2PAC.

With Stanford being added, I wonder if this might be a prelude to Notre Dame going full time, as they were a huge proponent of Stanford being added.
Well, Cal and Stanford are relatively close to a Coast, but SMU ???

Great game last night with Utah taking Florida down 24-11 :D

Utah looked good, even without thier Starting QB ... That said, Florida looked Lousy.

Reactions: AZ.
However, we asked NBC again this week after the episode description of the upcoming ECU-Michigan game included a 4K HDR (High Dynamic Range) tag. The NBC Sports spokesman today confirmed that the 4K tag was correct.

Supposed to be in real 4K/HDR, not up-converted 1080P into 4K that Fox puts out.
I have this game on Peacock now and it doesn’t look all that great to me on my LG C1 OLED. Anyone else?

I have this game on Peacock now and it doesn’t look all that great to me on my LG C1 OLED. Anyone else?
What device?

Using a Roku Ultra with my Sony Z9K, looks good, not great..

Have to say, those are some shiny purple helmets East Carolina has.

Last edited:
Well, Cal and Stanford are relatively close to a Coast, but SMU ???
This has to be one of the dumbest moves I've seen the ACC leadership make, and there are lots of them. Now you're going to have all the East coast ACC schools going to the west coast constantly, and Cal/Stanford are going to have to spend a fortune on travel for conference games. SMU actually makes the most sense, at least it is close to the southern ACC schools.

It's all a $$ game. They know Clemson, FSU and UNC are unhappy in the ACC due to the media rights revenue deal with ESPN and most likely will leave at some point in time. The terms of the ACC/ESPN deal say ESPN has a right to renegotiate a better deal if the league drops below 15 teams, so they went out and found 3 insurance policies.

What device?

Using a Roku Ultra with my Sony Z9K, looks almost great.

Have to say, those are some shiny purple helmets East Carolina has.
Peacock app on AppleTV 4K. At first the white jerseys looked crushed, but got better. It could be not all the cameras are 4K HDR. But the sideline cameras can’t handle the cloudy sky and white polo shirts.

Does the level of Peacock subscription make a difference? I have the basic level that we got during the Memorial Day $19.95 for the Year sale. Anyway, it’s a better picture than I usually get, but Fox 4K games last year looked better.

edit: Peacock just had an Instant Replay and the one camera view looked washed out but the end zone camera wasn’t. Perhaps the IR isn’t 4K HDR capable.

Does the level of Peacock subscription make a difference? I have the basic level that we got during the Memorial Day $19.95 for the Year sale. Anyway, it’s a better picture than I usually get, but Fox 4K games last year looked better.
I have the no commercials package, they sent me a win back offer late last year for $50.

If they did not have the Big Ten, I would be dropping this service.

Peacock app on AppleTV 4K. At first the white jerseys looked crushed, but got better. It could be not all the cameras are 4K HDR. But the sideline cameras can’t handle the cloudy sky and white polo shirts.
The Notre Game on now looks a lot better then the Michigan Game.

The Notre Game on now looks a lot better then the Michigan Game.
Unfortunately, I’m visiting with family and no 4K to be found. (I know, what kind of son-in-law am I? ;))

• Haha

edit: Peacock just had an Instant Replay and the one camera view looked washed out but the end zone camera wasn’t. Perhaps the IR isn’t 4K HDR capable.
Depends on your settings. Apple TV 4K doesn’t do automatic HDR on Peacock via the match dynamic range setting. You have to change the Apple TV video settings to 4K HDR.

I swapped to the Roku after trying several other devices I had. TiVo Steam 4K and Google TV built into my Sony only did 1080p on Peacock.

Roku automatically switching to 4K HDR looked better than Apple TV with manually switched settings. Fox Sports app doesn’t do HDR on Apple TV either.

Reactions: Foxbat
Depends on your settings. Apple TV 4K doesn’t do automatic HDR on Peacock via the match dynamic range setting. You have to change the Apple TV video settings to 4K HDR.

I swapped to the Roku after trying several other devices I had. TiVo Steam 4K and Google TV built into my Sony only did 1080p on Peacock.

Roku automatically switching to 4K HDR looked better than Apple TV with manually switched settings. Fox Sports app doesn’t do HDR on Apple TV either.
I have said it before about the Roku, it is not the prettiest interface, but everything always works.

- The Big 12 is garbage. West Virginia was manhandled by a, truth be told, destined for third or fourth place, Penn State. Sanders' crew beat Texas Christian. Sun Belter Texas State embarrassed Baylor. Mountain Wester Wyoming beats Texas Tech. Everyone else played a cupcake.

- Sad to see so much discussion about picture quality. Really?

- Sanders' act will wear thin, but with the team moving down to the Big 12 next year, he could easily win 8 or so games a year with little effort.

- It is time to forget about the letters or numbers in conference names as actually meaning anything. These are four competing packages of media rights. In that discussion, IMHO, there are three things that really matter. One is raw numbers of people in different media markets. Two is how good the teams are so to attract casual fans. Three, and this is the most important, is how important college football is in said media markets. It varies quite a bit, more than any other non-motor sport around the country.

Naw, it is only about raw numbers. Why else would Rutgers be in the Big Whatever it is. Of course, with the corporate model of cable/sat under great stress, will be interesting where things go from here when income drops with the channel subs. All this consolidation to grab chunks of subs in highly populated areas, kind of backfiring down the road shortly.

Of course, it will backfire, as will all televised sports not called NFL, and most other forms of entertainment. Streaming doesn't work as a business plan, that is clear.

Rutgers is in the Big 10 because the Big 10 Network, AKA Fox, outsmarted everyone else, which is a pretty common thing Fox does. All of the conference specific networks have an in-market and out-of-market rate. The Big 10 then added Rutgers and Maryland to pick up those markets, even though 99% of people in the NYC DMA, including those who live in New Jersey, could not care less about Rutgers.

Which bring me back to the point. Numbers are nice, but it is not everything. If you think Boston College occupies the same place in the minds of Bostonians as Alabama does in the minds of Birmingham; you need to spend some time in Birmingham. Or just watch Finebaum. Fact is that college football is a creature of the forgotten, fly over, or bluntly red places. While 1% of NYC is a whole lot more than 1% of Birmingham, or Columbus, or Kansas City, or Raleigh, the point is I can get 25 or 30% of those places, contrasted to the 1% in the northeast.