21 Voom HD Original Channels On Dish Network by CES?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
We all remember the good old days of VOOM 21 -- 21 Voom Channels of High Definition and lots of new content each month. Before Voom DBS went down last March 2005, Rainbow Media made a deal with Echostar to bring back 10 VOOM HD channels in 2005 and all 21 Voom channels by 2006. Today Rush HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, GuyTv HD, The Majestic HD, Monsters HD, HDnews, Animania HD, Ultra HD and Equator HD are part of the Voom Package that Dish Network provides for an additional $5.00.

Most of Voom 10 content have been new to Dish Network customers who did not subscribe to VOOM DBS. However, since April 2005 the new content have been declining each month. We have read the uplink activity reports that points to new information about the new Voom channel lineup. The VOOM 21 are coming back and that new channels like Sizzle HD, Gameplay HD, Renew HD, Coda HD and Torque HD were added to the System Tables on Dish Network but there was no content on them. Satelliteguys have learned that VOOM 21 is going to be live on Dish Network before January 5th 2006. Voom and Dish Network will have a press conference at CES to unveil the new lineup of Voom HD channels. Nobody knows what the new lineup will look like but we have been told that it will be an exciting one with strong new content in 2006.

Some of the new content we already know. World Sport HD will continue its coverage of the Spanish Premiere League with LIVE games on weekends and UEFA coverage on weekdays. Animania HD has picked up three new series for their coverage. Samurai 7 Based on filmmaker Akira Kurosawa's classic 1954 movie "The Seven Samurai," Samurai 7 is loyal to the original plot and characters, but offers a unique sci-fi twist with the action set in the future. The half-hour series will have the U.S HD premiere on Wednesday, March 1, 2006 @ 9:00 PM ET. PICME is an award-winning interactive animated series where a child literally stars in his/her own cartoon. Each episode features a different child where their picture is placed directly in the pre-made cartoon using the specially developed PICME software. Each also entertains and teaches basic concepts to preschool children. PICME launches on Animania HD in April of 2006. Jungle Beat is the first animated series from Zimbabwe, which features a cast of animals in bizarre situations with hilarious results. This fun and quirky series consists of 5-minute self-contained episodes, all dialogue-free and suitable for all ages. Jungle Beat premieres on Animania HD in January of 2006. Ultra HD is currently producing the second series of Fashion Avenue. I believe that there are also episodes from the first series that never aired. Rush HD has a complete second series of Focused. They also have The North Face which will Air April 2, 2006. Rush HD has renewed NOMADS, a multi-sport action adventure television series in High Definition. The 2006 series will be similar in format to the 2005 series, which consists of 20 one-hour episodes filled with heart-stopping action and adventure travel in the sports of skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, kayaking, mountainbiking and wakeboarding. There are various new movie titles that will appear on Monsters HD and Majestic HD. See this listing for a sample.

If the Voom 21 HD comes close to new programming as before, many customers will be happy. There is one other thing that I need to bring up that needs to be addressed -- Resolution. Currently, there are only 4 Channels out of the 10 Voom channels transmitting at 1920x1080i. They are Monsters HD, Ultra HD, Animania HD, and Equator HD. All the other 6 channels are transmitting at 1280x1080i. If Voom 21 wants to compete against HDnet, HDnet Movies, INHD and INHD2, Voom 21 needs to transmit all their channels at 1920x1080i. Does it make a difference? Yes, it does. Most HD customers have large screens where a noticeable softeness in the picture will be captured at 1280x1080i. If these channels were intended to be 1920x1080i why not give us the full resolution. If they VOOM is so in love with 1280, convert everything to 1280x720p and no one will be unhappy. However, this alternative may be expensive at this stage of the game for VOOM. In a nutshell, the Voom 21 HD channels need to be put at 1920x1080i in order to get full resolution and with a bitrate of at least 15mbps.

You Rock Sean :) I know that there has been formal talk of a petition to get all these channels at 1920 X 1080I Even on my 32 inch hdtv I can tell a major difference... I would recommend dish to put all there hd channels in that format when available in that format as HD lite is not welcomed here :) Hopefully within this month we will see those channels pop up out of engineering mode along with espn2 HD and the networks that are testing on 129 and 61.5. All of this by jan 1st would make a lot of customers happy and some D* subs jump over. I know that D* is doing this LIL inititive but most customers in the major DMA's can receive OTA. I think the majority would be happy with hd dns and Network hd. I do commend dish on waiting for MPEG4, and would like to see a switch to 8psk on all channels HD and SD. I think within a 4 month period all legacy and Dishpro receivers that are not 8psk capable could easily be switched out at no cost to the customer with a year programming commitment. Its a win win situation as E* gets there money back with the year commitment, the costumers get updated equipment, and finally that would increase more bandwidth for National and LIL hd to begin rollout. By that time Echo 10 should launch and testing will begin. And three months later let the HD GODS pour upon us as E* well surpasses D* in hd programming. I would say if all this happens E* could be at 13 mil costumers by this time next year... (shake the magic 8 ball some more) By this time next year E* can begin rollout of mpeg 4 services as they would have installed new mpeg4 receivers in new customers homes and hopefully the encoding is there... With rollout of mpeg 4 This would be the time to swap out Existing HD customers with there new MPEG 4 receivers.. 211 and 962 (or what ever the hd dvr will be called) and all the Bugs should be out of the receivers by this time as the new customers just played guinnea pigs (aka beta testers)... then by mid 2008.... SD customers will make the transition to mpeg 4 as by then Analog should be ceased and non existent. and by then most HD LIL will be up and running. I think this is the war plan... we will see if I'm right or not!!! :) Or how close to it I am :)

tujumaster said:
Any word on other service providers getting Voom?

At this point there is nothing official from Rainbow Media or any other provider. However, Rainbow Media mentioned in their SEC filing on Nov 2005 that they have reached an agreement with TimeWarner to settle the dispute between AMC and TimeWarner (Remember this?). Well in the SEC filing Rainbow said, "and new affiliation and distribution agreements for other Rainbow programming services..." This is all conjecture at this point but it is strong possibility that What Rainbow is talking about is VOOM HD.

The other question which is more important is if TimeWarner is the next in line to get VOOM HD, do they have the bandwith necessary to handle 21 HD Channels even at 1280x1080i? Maybe this why Rainbow has made the compromise to downresize their HD channels. It is all conjecture at this point. We will know more at CES. By the way, we will have special coverage at CES and will be breaking news. So stay tuned because it will be an exciting month of December/January.

tujumaster said:
Any word on other service providers getting Voom?

I also thought that Verizon Fios had inked a deal to carry Voom at some point.

Although I don't have Dish/Voom I think it's great to hear all 21 channels will be back soon.

Additional 11 Voom Channels

I currently have a superdish (110, 119 and 121) and a dish at 61.5. Would I need any additional satellites to pick up the 11 additional channels of Voom?

Thanks
Mukund

T2k said:
What's going to happen to Worldcinema HD and Divine HD?

I have been told that new lineup will be a combination of old lineup and a few modifications. Worldcinema was a very popular channel with a clear path. My guess it will come back. I do not know about Divine HD. The line up is being kept secret until the official announcement at CES but don't be surprised if the channels launch before CES on Dish.

Sean Mota said:
...The line up is being kept secret until the official announcement at CES but don't be surprised if the channels launch before CES on Dish.
I would be surprised if they weren't activated at least a week before the announcement. That seems to be the way E* works.

I'm just wondering something...why can't the public go to CES? to me I think it would be very good if the public could go to this show. I live in Vegas and would love to go to this show.

This may be a bit OT but it does referacne something Sean brought up...

I hear people talk about HDLite and down rezed channels and how bad they look etc etc....

The fact remains unless you TV's NATIVE RESOLUTION is 1980X1080i your TV can not take advantage of the full 1980x1080i resolution signal anyway....

Most fixed pixel displays on the market today are all native 1366X788. (There are newer (as in this years modles) sets that are 1280X720p and 1980X1080p native)

So a full resolution 1980X1080i broadcast are down rezed by you set.

What hurts the quality more than bit starving is not having enough bandwidth to broadcast what bits you do have....

Note 15mbs is enough for a 1280X720p signal so its enough for a 1280x1080i signal...that just didnt 15mbs out of a hat...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)