21 Voom HD Original Channels On Dish Network by CES?

Paradox-SJ said:
This may be a bit OT but it does referacne something Sean brought up...

I hear people talk about HDLite and down rezed channels and how bad they look etc etc....

The fact remains unless you TV's NATIVE RESOLUTION is 1980X1080i your TV can not take advantage of the full 1980x1080i resolution signal anyway....

Most fixed pixel displays on the market today are all native 1366X788. (There are newer (as in this years modles) sets that are 1280X720p and 1980X1080p native)

So a full resolution 1980X1080i broadcast are down rezed by you set.

What hurts the quality more than bit starving is not having enough bandwidth to broadcast what bits you do have....

Note 15mbs is enough for a 1280X720p signal so its enough for a 1280x1080i signal...that just didnt 15mbs out of a hat...

You are right about the native resolution of the TVs but by getting the downresize right from the source, pixels are being lost in the convertion which creates a softer picture on big displays (greater than 42"). Also, remember that we are moving into the 1080p displays and right there those displays will show lots of the softness of the 1280x1080i.

Sean Mota said:
You are right about the native resolution of the TVs but by getting the downresize right from the source, pixels are being lost in the convertion which creates a softer picture on big displays (greater than 42"). Also, remember that we are moving into the 1080p displays and right there those displays will show lots of the softness of the 1280x1080i.

When the down-rez resolution is still greater than the native resolution of the set recieving it there is no loss of quality...

What IF the down-rez resolution was equal to the native resolution of a paticular monitor...do you think the pic would be soft?

"The VOOM 21 are coming back and that new channels like Sizzle HD, Gameplay HD, Renew HD, Coda HD and Torque HD were uplinked on Dish Network but there was no content on them."

Total contradiction in the phrase: uplinked <-> no content;
why not use more simple definition: System Tables changed and include xHD, yHD, ... zHD now ?

Paradox-SJ said:
When the down-rez resolution is still greater than the native resolution of the set recieving it there is no loss of quality...

Not true. It all depends on the scalers used. Remember that this process of downresizing the HD channels has one purpose -- conserving bandwith. When the signal goes out from the original source, there are various scaling processes that it goes through. Even after it reaches your house depending on the native resolution of your tv or receiver, you may upscale or downscale the signal again. I am not a technician in the whole process but there has been various analysis done by calibrators and even pictures had been posted where the comparison of 1920x1080i vs 1280x1080i and bitrates manipulation makes a huge difference to the quality of the signal.

The satellite/cable companies that are downresizing want to save bandwith at the cost of playing with bitrates and filtering so that the image or signal may look like a 1920x1080i signal. The more the signal up/down the more the degradation.

Sean Mota said:
In a nutshell, the Voom 21 HD channels need to be put at 1920x1080i in order to get full resolution and with a bitrate of at least 15mbps.​

Huh?

You want to REDUCE the current bandwidth on the 1920x1080i channels to at least 15mbps?

Put all 21 up where EquatorHD and MonstersHD are at 18.5mbps with telecine flag turned on.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Huh?

You want to REDUCE the current bandwidth on the 1920x1080i channels to at least 15mbps?

Put all 21 up where EquatorHD and MonstersHD are at 18.5mbps with telecine flag turned on.

You obviously read me wrong. I would like all of them to be 45mbps obviously. But it ain't going to happen. All of them are going to be 1280x1080i at 15mbps after January according to sources I have spoken to.

Hopefully things will figure themselves out. Things got really messed up with the update IMO but hopefully we'll be set straight

With the down resolution of the Voom 10, my interest in the return of the Voom 21 is zero, zip, nada...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)