211 and Legacy Dish / LNB Help!

ScooterS

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 14, 2003
I'm helping someone change receivers and ran into a problem.

They had a legacy dish with a Dish Twin (not pro) running to a legacy 301 receiver. I believe that it is a twin legacy because there is only one cable an no switch coming from the Dish. There are no "pro" markings. It worked fine with one coax to the 301

They are swapping the 301 for a new 211.

I activated the new receiver on a working dish and then tried to hook it up to this old dish. It can't find any satellites and the receiver claims a switch error.

I've done multiple check switches, power plug reboots, and front panel reboots. I also disconnected the coax, ran a checkswitch, reconnected the coax, ran another checkswitch. Still no luck.

Where have I gone wrong?

The 211 is a single tuner right?

If so, then I would check the cabling. The 301 & 211 are both DishPro receivers but will run on Legacy equipment just fine. I have a 811 using 2 dual LNB's and a SW21

Hook the 301 back up and see what happens

Thanks guys... I'll give it a try tomorrow or this weekend. Now that I know that this SHOULD work, I'd give it an end to end check.
I'll start with the 301 and then work my way down to connectors and cable.
... I'll let you know.

I resolved the problem. It was a serious case of what I used to know as "backhoe fade."

I walked the cable and found that it had gotten too close to the weed whacker (not at my house). Evidently it was hanging on with a thread of conductor. When I swapped the receiver, I bumped it enough to lose continuity. I was able to cut and connector around it.

I can verify that the 211 will work with the legacy twin LNB.

Thanks for the advice.... It is nice to confirm that something "should work" when you are attempting to diagnose.