211 extremely slow after adding EHD

bentjm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
I added a 1 terabyte WD My Book Essential external hard drive. Finally got it activated. Now the 211k is extremely slow to react to any commands. It can take it 20-30 seconds just to change channels. I have talked to Dish Network and I am up to date on all software, ... This is not a minor inconvience. It is making the 211k pretty much unusable. If I remove the EHD and reboot, it goes back to the way it was before.

Any advice?

Yeah - it is inconsistant. Sometimes it seems to be OK, but most of the time it is very slow. There seems to be two versions of this hard drive. I am going to Best Buy tomorrow to see what their's looks like.

I replaced the WD My Book Essentials drive from Walmart with one from Best Buy - they are different. Different part number and different controls. This fixed the problem. So, either the Walmart drives are inferior or I got a bum one or the initial formatting (it took several tries) was bad.

Either way it works now with no discernable delay.

Thanks for your responses.

I replaced the WD My Book Essentials drive from Walmart with one from Best Buy - they are different. Different part number and different controls. This fixed the problem. So, either the Walmart drives are inferior or I got a bum one or the initial formatting (it took several tries) was bad.

Either way it works now with no discernable delay.

Thanks for your responses.

Was it the same size? I have been wondering about the WD Mybooks, I have two with my computer but they have no on/off switch, they turn on with the computer. They do have their on power supply, but with the EHD for the dvr function it says it needs to be on all the time, wonder if this feature can cause problems since it goes by weather or not the device it is hooked up to is on or off, I have used it with my PS3 as well and it works the same as with my computer. They are good drives, never had problems and are very quiet compared to a Lacie I have, but worried about getting another one to use with the 612 i have for extra storage. Has anyone else had problems with these types of hard drives?

Yes it was the same size - 1 tb. The one from Best Buy has an on/off switch on the back. The one from Walmart did not.

My 211k got SLOW the other day for an entire evening, channel changes, walking through the guide, anything was painful. Next day... back to normal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts