211 Running Bug Thread

It looks like this thread has gotten off track more than once lately but here goes.
VIP 211
L 264
Dish 500 legacy quad feeding 211,510 and 811
OTA Radio Shack about 5' boom uhf/vhf no idea what model about 10 years old on roof 6' mast
#1 Optical 5.1 lip sync is so far off I could not watch more than a few days.
#2 No info in guide when going OTA to Dish
#3 Loss of picture once when going OTA to Dish
#4 SD PQ just plain sucked compaired to my 811. HD was better on 211
The 211 has been sent to the basement (hooked up and working) untill camping season when it will be put in motorhome untill mpeg2 is cut off or 211 is fixed. I have OTA HD locals and dish AT180 + HD.

MIKE
HD feed from 211was via componet cables now its the 811.

Last edited:
VIP 211
L2.64
Dish 1000 feeding 211
OTA Terk HDTVo in the backyard

Loss of all video (several times a day) when
- losing signal from 129 due to bad weather;
- keep the same OTA for a long time.

Always needs a reboot to solve the problem. Haven't found a quicker way yet.

ViP211
L2.64
DPP44 -> D1000 + 61.5
HDMI -> DVI input on Benq 8700+
Optical output -> Onkyo 801

NBC OTA the sound is not sync'd to the video. All other OTA stations are fine. I have tested it with two different NBC channels and both have the same problem. WRC-DT (Washington DC) and WBAL-DT (Baltimore, MD). Really pissing me off.

Vip 411
Super Dish, Dish 500
Component and digital out

Im having the audio sync problem with most of the HDs and the OTA. If I change to RCA cables will this fix the problem?

How many have felt the bottom of their 411 or 211 for heat issues?

411 is cool on the top, on the bottom it is very hot.

Do I build a display with a hole in the middle for the heat to escape?

Wow, what a great thread this is..So helpfull!

Yesterday I was all set to drop $500 on equipment and install so that I could get the DISH stand alone HD Pack and HD Locals..

I am so glad that I came here first and checked out this thread..It looks like the 211 is nowhere near ready for primetime yet, so thanks to this thread I will be waiting for them to fix some of these problems before I take the plunge...

Thanks again everyone! I believe this thread may have saved me a whole lot of hassle!

I put 61.5 back on my ViP211 even though that means I loose my HD LIL - just to try it for 48 hours and see if I still get the horrible lockups. Surprise (or not) no lockups which cause video to lockup and only audio to remain when you change channels (requiring a reboot).

With this said, I am very confident in this statement.

The errors that cause the lock up in the video happen when there is an error in the signal. If you are in, say Atlanta, trying to get 129 with a Dish 1000 where the signal is anywhere from 55-85, expect alot of problems and lockups. I threw a dedicated Dish 300 at 129 and was averaging in the mid 80s and still could not watch UHD without major disasters.

Thus, the errors cause their output circuits to go bonkers, with sync issues (as was the case with the 6000 that was never fixed) or worse, total lock up of video that never resyncs and you need a hard reboot to correct.

There will always be errors to some extent (you can minimize them with a signal approaching 100) but even rain will knock your signal out at some time and cause errors.

The question that needs to be asked (and I fear the answer will be like the 6000 which still has the issues) can they upgrade their output circuits via firmware updates to minimize the lockup issues with errors?

Bug
ViP211
L264
.90M Dish

Unlike earlier STBs, if you pull the signal for rain fade or whatever reason (I manually pulled the RG6 connection to test this) and then reconnect it, the loss of signal display stays on the screen and does not go away when the signal returns.

You are forced to hit ok or scan up or down to get off the channel or to regain a signal.

Old STBs like the 6000 would resume when the signal was restored.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Bug
ViP211
L264
.90M Dish

Unlike earlier STBs, if you pull the signal for rain fade or whatever reason (I manually pulled the RG6 connection to test this) and then reconnect it, the loss of signal display stays on the screen and does not go away when the signal returns.

You are forced to hit ok or scan up or down to get off the channel or to regain a signal.

Old STBs like the 6000 would resume when the signal was restored.

Then the 211 takes ten minutes to find a signal and download the guide again, by then the program that you were watching is over.

411 runs Hot

Chelsea you are right, I put 4 little 3/8" blocks under my 411 tonight, and put the outdoor thermometer probe underneath the receiver after ten minutes I got a reading of 107 degrees, thats much too hot for resistors, and maybe whats happening here, when you first get your 211 or 411 receiver it seems to work fine, but maybe it's just running to hot and causing a breakdown.

Just My Opinion

Bill

I found the source of the Audio Sync issue

I have done so much troubleshooting with my 211... i have the issue where the day i switched from 811 to 211 my OTA locals the audio was out of sync by like a milli second or 2 but noticable... ALSO the locals in HD from the satellite were out of sync.. i could sometimes power off for a bit and back on and sometimes i might fix it...

have a sony surround sound recv. with a optical cable going from the 211 to the sony recv... again this all happened the day after i switched from 811 to 211

my permenant band-aid is to switch from Dolby Digital to PCM which yeah it sucks but at least i don't get the sync issue

SO the problem is with the 211 software and Dish needs to fix it... I called them and went into small details of what I troubleshoot and told them it is their problem they did not disagree with me.. how could they... :)

I told them i am not paying for this reciever the 211 you know the monthly fee until the problem is fixed...

I suggest anyone having this issue at least do that... if they get a bunch of people demanding not to pay for a broken reciever that should catch at least the eyes of some corp management...

I'm really considering dropping my HD package and returning the 211 receiver that I got for $99.99 if they don't fix it soon. It was my mistake to jump the gun and can't complain about throwing away $99.99. I can't watch any HD with my Sony A/V receiver, the sync digital audio is so annoying.

I had a 501 and a 811 receiver connected to the same A/V receiver with the same Toslink cable, no problems at all with those two receivers and my A/V receiver.

Too Hot

I've had a 211 for about 2 weeks. No problems with anything yet unlike my 811.:) :)
I can put mine up on blocks also as a preventive measure, what do you guys think?:confused:
If I can prevent problems, I will gladly do this.

JohnEL said:
I've had a 211 for about 2 weeks. No problems with anything yet unlike my 811.:) :)
I can put mine up on blocks also as a preventive measure, what do you guys think?:confused:
If I can prevent problems, I will gladly do this.

If you haven't had any problems then just leave it alone. Don't even look at it, it might get mad at you.:) These receivers are temperamental. If I only knew what I did to upset mine so I won't do it again.;)

Thank you,
for checking your under carriage bottoms.

This is not a good situation and needs to be corrected.
Dish should start making stabilizier block systems.

New VIP211

These problems showed up this week -- caller ID and loss of audio

Software version: L264
Dish setup: 110,119 and 61.5 (via SW-21x and SW21)
Description of bug: Caller ID does'nt work and - usually shows unidentified caller, and total loss of audio. Had to re-boot to restore audio
OTA Antenna: CM4228 - chimney mount -- OTA using the 211 shows better results han the internal ATSC tuner.

Bill Millar said:
Chelsea you are right, I put 4 little 3/8" blocks under my 411 tonight, and put the outdoor thermometer probe underneath the receiver after ten minutes I got a reading of 107 degrees, thats much too hot for resistors, and maybe whats happening here, when you first get your 211 or 411 receiver it seems to work fine, but maybe it's just running to hot and causing a breakdown.
Just My Opinion
Bill

I don't know if they're make-up is the same, but a lot of people have average readings in the 100's for their 625 & 622 DVR's. The 211's may be different, but I know my 625 averages about 104-107 and I've never had a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts