211 with EHD. Watching and recording

BBfromCA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
I have searched the board and have not been able to find an answer to this:
Can you watch a recorded show on a 211 with EHD while trying to record another show?
I know you can not watch one channel live while trying to record another.

Yes. In fact, the 211 has 1 satellite tuner and 1 OTA tuner. So if you can get OTA, you can record a show from satellite and a show from OTA and still watch an already recorded show.

I record my HD locals off of OTA, when I have a time conflict with a satellite program.

You cannot record 2 satellite or 2 OTA programs at the same time.

Whatever you are recording, you can watch a previously recorded program.

Yes. It does everything a dedicated DVR does using a single sat tuner (except the online stuff). Works great. I have two.

Thanks. Now if I knew for sure what kind of hard drive to get. I know you need one with it's own power supply. I don't do a lot of recording so 500g would be big enough.

I got a Western Digital at Walmart. One is 500 GB and the other is 1 TB. They both work fine. Make sure it has its own power supply, a USB interface, and is one of the name brands. It may go without saying, but you'll need to pay a one time fee to use it.

Thanks for the help.

I don't know exactly which ones, but I believe most of the "ready to go" EHD drives do not have power switches. I put an internal drive in an enclosure with a switch which is handy since I turn it off and on frequently to keep the heat build up in check. You might want to check for that.

I had a different experience. Connect the drive first. The system will test for compatibility after which you'll get a screen asking if you want to activate it via the 800 number provided in the message. After you activate it will ask if you want to reformat - click yes. Once that's done, you're good to go! The 1-time activation fee is still $40.

When I went through this a year and a half ago, that 800 number took me to standard Dish customer service (in India then, maybe still?) and that person was clueless, not only "activated" the EHD on the wrong receiver but also hosed my account. It took another call to tech support (used the std. Dish no. and the TS option) to straighten both issues out, but once fixed everything has been flawless since!

I'm using a WD My Book Essential 1TB drive; it runs 24/7 and so far has been up to the task. I'm almost full however and will likely buy another drive soon.

The attached instruction was current when I activated. It's probably still valid for the most part. It indicates a 750GB EHD size limit which has since been increased, tho' it must still be a "single platter" drive...

Attachments

• DVR Conversion.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I had a different experience. Connect the drive first. The system will test for compatibility after which you'll get a screen asking if you want to activate it via the 800 number provided in the message. After you activate it will ask if you want to reformat - click yes. Once that's done, you're good to go! The 1-time activation fee is still $40.

When I went through this a year and a half ago, that 800 number took me to standard Dish customer service (in India then, maybe still?) and that person was clueless, not only "activated" the EHD on the wrong receiver but also hosed my account. It took another call to tech support (used the std. Dish no. and the TS option) to straighten both issues out, but once fixed everything has been flawless since!

I'm using a WD My Book Essential 1TB drive; it runs 24/7 and so far has been up to the task. I'm almost full however and will likely buy another drive soon.

The attached instruction was current when I activated. It's probably still valid for the most part. It indicates a 750GB EHD size limit which has since been increased, tho' it must still be a "single platter" drive...

I did the same thing for both my 211 and 722. I hooked the EHD up first and followed the prompts. I had no trouble with who I called. All has been good ever since.

Can you use multiple drives with the 211?

Do you think you'll ever be able to use 622 EHD's with the 211 or vice-versa?

Oh just to verify - Is it only $7 per month for the 211 as a second receiver?

I got my Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB hooked up to my 211 and it works great. The only issue I have is when I skip back it seems to go back 60 seconds instead of 10 seconds. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure.

Thanks

whats the differance between the 211k and the 222? is it just the second over the air tuner? meaning u record 2 OTA at the same time?

Can you use multiple drives with the 211?

Do you think you'll ever be able to use 622 EHD's with the 211 or vice-versa?

QUOTE]

I have a 622 and 211, both with EHD. As for interchanging drives, unfortunately, no. They have different file formats. I have been using a WD 1T on both receivers, and the performance has been flawless for 18 and 6 months respectively.

As I have posted in the past, the 211 with EHD is almost as good as a 622/722, but you will not be able to make custom folders to place your recordings in.

I was dissapointed in the 622 with EHD, you can move, not copy programs, and once you've moved recordings to the EHD there is no way (that I can figure out) to put them into folders, you just end up with a long list of recordings with no organization.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)