211??

mxd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
N. Indiana
Have seen many posts where people have the new 211. May I ask where you are getting them? I have been told by the moronic CSR's that can not be had until Mid February to the end of March. This REALLY ticks me off, there is a lot of basketball to be seen on ESPN2 during February and March, not to mention the olympics. I would really like to get my hands on one of these for the Feb 1 launch of the new channels!!

mxd said:
Have seen many posts where people have the new 211. May I ask where you are getting them? I have been told by the moronic CSR's that can not be had until Mid February to the end of March. This REALLY ticks me off, there is a lot of basketball to be seen on ESPN2 during February and March, not to mention the olympics. I would really like to get my hands on one of these for the Feb 1 launch of the new channels!!
MXD, sent you a PM (private message).... Gerry

Was kind of wondering the same thing. Just got HD, would like to upgrade my DISH subscription, but would hate to get the older box only to have to upgrade to an mpeg4 compatible box in a month.

Lease?

boiler1111 said:
Was kind of wondering the same thing. Just got HD, would like to upgrade my DISH subscription, but would hate to get the older box only to have to upgrade to an mpeg4 compatible box in a month.
If you are going to upgrade existing equipment (?) then you will have to wait until at least the 2/1 date. You don't mention what you have for equipment or your overall plan.. Gerry

ggw2000 said:
If you are going to upgrade existing equipment (?) then you will have to wait until at least the 2/1 date. You don't mention what you have for equipment or your overall plan.. Gerry

Sorry, wasn't clear. I just got the HDTV, I've got SD DISH, a 522 that I lease. Ideally, I'd keep that and just get the lease a 211 if possible. I'm not sure about spending the $299 on the HD-DVR at this point. Anyhow, my concern is if I order the existing HD package, I'll get the 811, and then have to upgrade later to get my locals and whatever else will be offered in mpeg4.

Lease..

boiler1111 said:
Sorry, wasn't clear. I just got the HDTV, I've got SD DISH, a 522 that I lease. Ideally, I'd keep that and just get the lease a 211 if possible. I'm not sure about spending the $299 on the HD-DVR at this point. Anyhow, my concern is if I order the existing HD package, I'll get the 811, and then have to upgrade later to get my locals and whatever else will be offered in mpeg4.
Boiler, you are only going to want to do this once;) . At this point it appears you can only do one (mpeg4) receiver a year (at least for the time being). You have to decide whether to go with a 1 TV solution without harddrive in the 211 or go all out for the 622 dual tuner with harddrive (at $299). This is a lease solution, you can buy whatever you want. My opinion is that the 622 is NOT going to be available anywhere near 2/1.
I don't know where you live or how many dishes you have (you will need more than a Dish 500 to get some of the HD channels), but can you get HD OTA? (with an external antenna). If you get the 211 then you would be subscibing to the HD package on top of whatever you have... Gerry

ggw2000 said:
Boiler, you are only going to want to do this once;) . At this point it appears you can only do one (mpeg4) receiver a year (at least for the time being). You have to decide whether to go with a 1 TV solution without harddrive in the 211 or go all out for the 622 dual tuner with harddrive (at $299). This is a lease solution, you can buy whatever you want. My opinion is that the 622 is NOT going to be available anywhere near 2/1.
I don't know where you live or how many dishes you have (you will need more than a Dish 500 to get some of the HD channels), but can you get HD OTA? (with an external antenna). If you get the 211 then you would be subscibing to the HD package on top of whatever you have... Gerry

I'm in the Chicagoland area, so I can get most locals (except CBS) OTA, which is what I'm doing now. It seems like from what I understand, in addition to the HD package, that the Locals will also be broadcast via DISH in mpeg4 in Chicago soon (if they are not already?). For now, I just have the one DISH that goes with the 522, and only 1 HDTV. Like I said, ideally I'd like to hang onto my 522, which I'm using with the HDTV and another SD TV at my place, and add the 211 to my HDTV. So it seems like I should be able to add a 211 for $49 (for the receiver) + $49 for installation (from DISH), while keeping my leased 522? Or am I missing something?

Sounds like a plan!

boiler1111 said:
I'm in the Chicagoland area, so I can get most locals (except CBS) OTA, which is what I'm doing now. It seems like from what I understand, in addition to the HD package, that the Locals will also be broadcast via DISH in mpeg4 in Chicago soon (if they are not already?). For now, I just have the one DISH that goes with the 522, and only 1 HDTV. Like I said, ideally I'd like to hang onto my 522, which I'm using with the HDTV and another SD TV at my place, and add the 211 to my HDTV. So it seems like I should be able to add a 211 for $49 (for the receiver) + $49 for installation (from DISH), while keeping my leased 522? Or am I missing something?
I think you got what you want to do nailed down. However, you will need another dish. They will install it as part of your upgrade package as long as you commit to the HD package. (I don't know if it will be a replacement for your dish 500 to a dish 1000 (110,119,129 sats) or an additional dish where you live.. Gerry

Where Do You Buy a VIP211?

I do not want to lease a system, I would like to buy one. I called Dish, they just give you a run around. All they know is lease one. I have not seen one ebay either. If someone knows, please drop me a line.

OneBigJedi said:
I do not want to lease a system, I would like to buy one. I called Dish, they just give you a run around. All they know is lease one. I have not seen one ebay either. If someone knows, please drop me a line.
Sent you a PM (private message) Gerry

I have received a 211 as of 3 days ago. It clearly states on the front "MPEG4 RECEIVER". so that sould clear up other differences between that and the 411.
Insofar as upgrades.... I raised so much crap with CSR's finally to thru to TECH and explanied my dilema, and they were more than courteous to help get what I wanted.. For now.. I wanted true MPEG 4 receiver - the 211 is the only game in town, from what I understand.
The 622 will be out later. The Tech guy was more than cooperative to make a notation on my account that when the 622 becomes widely available, he has noted an exempition and that I can return the 211 (which BTW only cost $49 leased/shipped) for a ~leased~ 622.
We'll see what happens.
THE KEY TO GETTING HELP is to let them know you are no a**hole that just fell off a turnip truck. You are familiar with the temninology and can 'speak what they understand' as well --- keep in mind, these guys learning curve is much like ours. They have not seen many of the new things out there. One Tech told me that they had not even see screen dumps of what the 622 may even look like, but they are assuming similar to the 211.
I'm going to rotate one dish over to get 61.5 today and then will be all set for the 2/1 rollout and see what happens.
GOOD LUCK

211- Impressions

I received my 211 yesterday (purchased) and opened the box to see what was in there. Beside the unit it comes with a telephone cord, Composite cable, and a coax cable. As posted earlier there are NO HD cables whatsoever!
I temporarily hooked it up using a HDMI/DVI converter on a DVI cable and just the stereo audio at this time (when I get rid of my TW 8300HD I will move it into my equip rack and hook up toslink audio also).
Unit came up fine and found satellite and downloaded S/W and Program guide. Note: the unit comes up to the dishpoint screen (do not run check switch at this point) just exit out of that screen. I called dish tech support and got ahold of a nice young lady. She took the receiver and smart card #s and authorized the unit. I then ran check switch and all sats showed up (110,119,61.5).
PQ seems pretty much identical to my 921 on SD and HD. The menu screens are pretty cool and real XPish.....
What is a little confusing is that it appears Dish has gone to a one remote fits all for the VIP series. The 211 remote has all the DVR, skip, etc. buttons that you would use with a DVR unit but of course they don't do anything;) . I wish they just would have made a simple remote without all the rest of the buttons on it!
I must say it's tough getting use to a NON-DVR unit. You want to get up and take a leak but the pause button doesn't do anything:eek: .
Of course at this point I only know that the unit works with Mpeg2. And from what i'm reading about the new channels available on 2/1 they are also in Mpeg2 but are carrying a Mpeg4 header. I think it's going to be awhile before Dish gets there Mpeg4 working correctly and actually transmitting in it. Would be a real bummer if at that time none of the new receivers worked with it.
I bought the 211 because I truely believe that the 622s are not going to be available for a considerable time in quantity and with the one upgrade policy I want to use my 921 for the 622. I can use the 211 later on my wife's PC so she can watch her soaps while surfing and playing games (currently using my old 501 for the purpose)...
Gerry

I called Dish and spoke with a very nice CSR. She offered to sell or lease me a 211. I chose lease and told her I already had a dish 500 and a single dish pointing at 61.5. I ask if they could just ship the unit to me and she said we sure can. It cost me $50.00 She also noted that I own my receivers and did not have to return one unless I wanted the $25 refund for my receiver. How many of you people complaining have really even called Dish.

jerryez said:
I called Dish and spoke with a very nice CSR. She offered to sell or lease me a 211. I chose lease and told her I already had a dish 500 and a single dish pointing at 61.5. I ask if they could just ship the unit to me and she said we sure can. It cost me $50.00 She also noted that I own my receivers and did not have to return one unless I wanted the $25 refund for my receiver. How many of you people complaining have really even called Dish.

This is the standard Dish'n-it-Up offer. Only now that the 811s are gone they are substituting 211s as the single-tuner HD receiver. This offer expires on 31 Jan--then the new offers Charlie talked about will start on or about 1 Feb.

I've been told by TECH that I can use my vip211 for now, (which I got last week), until the vip622 begins shipping. To my knowledge (or Techs), nobody has a 622 yet. I will try to keep the 211 and send back my 522 for a 622, or at least that is where I am shooting! Tech said they would work with me on that....
I have 2 500's one to 110/110 and the ohter to 61.5. After Feb1, will have to re-aim 61.5 over to 129 to get ALL the HD's (Universal HD will not mirror on 61.5, nor the locals, although I get fine crisp pic OTA as is)
I think this boils down to who you talk to. I've had my best luck talking to TECH and going to 2nd tier. They are very nice and seem to want to help..
Amad Mohammed Biszawari or all the rest of the CSR's in India don't have a damn clue what is going on. It is a waste of your time even talking to them, and when you ask to go to the 'coach" (supervisor), they will argue with you till the moon turns blue.:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)