211k EHD problem

Jonhern

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Rhode Island
Searched the forum but could not find an answer. My father turned off the power cord in my brothers room which turned off the EHD. I know you need to keep it on all the time, and this has caused problems as the 211k will now not pick up the hard drive. I have restarted the receiver and still will not pick it up. I took the usb out and put it back in, it just showed a popup saying the EHD was found and it was checking for compatibility, but once that went away it was still not going into DVR menu. I restarted again and still not working. Any advice?

Find someone very familiar with Linux. The EHD is formatted and partitioned in Linux. When a Linux volume is unceremoniously turned off a Linux utility called FSCK (File System Check) needs to be run to find and correct errors. If it can't be "fixed" then the partitions need to be wiped out and let the 221k reformat the EHD.

I was afraid that would be the only solution, looks like I will need to reformat it as I know no one that uses Linux. So is it ever ok to turn off the EHD, like with the on/off button? My father turned it off because the EHD was loud. I read you can switch the EHD with different 211ks, what is the process for that so it does not lose programs?

So is it ever ok to turn off the EHD, like with the on/off button? My father turned it off because the EHD was loud.

I turn mine off (switch) all the time. Have you unplugged your 211 for a couple of minutes? Do it with the USB unplugged, then reconnect after the re-boot.

nope, did not work, actually started saying the same thing the other 211k was saying that something was wrong with the hdd and to use another one. anyway to force a format through the receiver?

ok, so my computer will not pick up the drive so I can reformat, I am using Windows XP Pro.

I reformated a disk that was on my Dish receiver last summer. As I remember you need to go to disk management to do it. On Win7 right click "Computer", then "Manage", then "Disk Management" in the left pane.
Getting to "Disk Management" in XP is different. Just type "disk management" into Google and follow one of the links. Assuming your USB disk is plugged into your computer it should show up in "Disk Management" where you can format it. I was using Vista at the time, not sure if it'll work in XP. I think there may be threads on this site also about the reformatting problem if you do a search.

tried that and the hd will not show up. Hooked up to 612 and said the hard drive was not compatible. I think it got corrupted as I get read/write errors when i tried it with swissknife on XP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts