211k lifespan, and potential replacement

4d3fect

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
central Cali
We're just a two -person household with ordinary-to-low usage patterns, one TV, and an EHD connected. We're still on our 211k from 2009, all good so far, but I was wondering how long the 211k lasts. If we had to replace under this usage scenario, would a Wally work? Would the PQ differ?

Thanks for looking.

We're just a two -person household with ordinary-to-low usage patterns, one TV, and an EHD connected. We're still on our 211k from 2009, all good so far, but I was wondering how long the 211k lasts. If we had to replace under this usage scenario, would a Wally work? Would the PQ differ?

Thanks for looking.
I am not sure about the 211k, but I have had an original model 211 last for more than ten years before it died. The Wally would be a good replacement, since it has two satellite tuners for recording. You would need to add an OTA adapter to the Wally if you want to watch and record OTA through the Wally. The picture quality on my Wally is at least as good as the picture quality on the 211k it replaced. (My 211k still works, but I decided to upgrade to Wally anyway.)

Reactions: 4d3fect
Thanks. We have a separate solution for OTA. (Only 3 channels without having to resort to antenna gymnastics, which I'm too lazy for.)

Reactions: pattykay
I am not sure about the 211k, but I have had an original model 211 last for more than ten years before it died. The Wally would be a good replacement, since it has two satellite tuners for recording. You would need to add an OTA adapter to the Wally if you want to watch and record OTA through the Wally. The picture quality on my Wally is at least as good as the picture quality on the 211k it replaced. (My 211k still works, but I decided to upgrade to Wally anyway.)

So, a Wally can have two independent HD TVs connected to it? Does it cost extra to upgrade or/and a contract extension to add along with existing receivers? We have 2 211s and a 222k. If you had 2 Wallys, would the equipment fee be $7/month or $14/month? I would guess $7, and I am guessing there is no DVR fee associated with it except the one-time DVR integration fee. I thought at one time it was just a one tuner receiver similar to the 211 but an upgrade as it was released later.

So, a Wally can have two independent HD TVs connected to it? Does it cost extra to upgrade or/and a contract extension to add along with existing receivers? We have 2 211s and a 222k. If you had 2 Wallys, would the equipment fee be $7/month or $14/month? I would guess $7, and I am guessing there is no DVR fee associated with it except the one-time DVR integration fee. I thought at one time it was just a one tuner receiver similar to the 211 but an upgrade as it was released later.
The two tuners are for recording, not independent viewing. (The Wally does not even do PIP.) Two Wally receivers would only cost $7 per month. ($7 per month for each additional Wally after the first.) If you already paid the one-time DVR fee to cover the 211, that also covers the Wally at no additional cost. The upgrade that enabled the second satellite tuner (and the second OTA tuner in the dual-tuner adapter) was software U430, released in December.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The two tuners are for recording, not independent viewing. (The Wally does not even do PIP.) Two Wally receivers would only cost $7 per month. ($7 per month for each additional Wally after the first.) If you already paid the one-time DVR fee to cover the 211, that also covers the Wally at no additional cost. The upgrade that enabled the second satellite tuner (and the second OTA tuner in the dual-tuner adapter) was software U430, released in December.

Thank you! Good information to know. I thought I saw something posted a few months back and wanted to ask for clarification to make sure I understood. I suppose the two independent viewings was wishful thinking.

Thank you! Good information to know. I thought I saw something posted a few months back and wanted to ask for clarification to make sure I understood. I suppose the two independent viewings was wishful thinking.
Someone speculated a while back about being able to add a Joey to a Wally, but Dish has not done anything along that line. The Hopper Duo serves that purpose. (with its monthly DVR fee, of course) Either way, a Joey would add a $7 per month fee. So, I would recommend keeping your 222k if you like that functionality, and maybe just upgrade your 211's to Wally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts