211k lifespan/mtbf

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

4d3fect

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
central Cali
Our Dish content is starting to exhibit occasional Matrix-like glitches/pauses/stutters. I thought maybe I was hallucinating at first, but independent observations (well, my wife's eagle eye) have confirmed this. Idk what's causing this.

We have a WD 640GB HDD hooked up for your basic dvr/pause/replay functionality, but it's several years younger than the 211k.

If anyone has experience with this antiquated hw and cares to share, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for looking.
ETA: the 211k is going on 11 1/2 years, I believe

If you remove the hard drive and operate the 211K alone, does it exhibit the same macro-blocking? If not then your hard drive is going bad, replace it.

Moving parts of the hard drive are more prone to failure that the solid state items in the receiver.

If you remove the hard drive and operate the 211K alone, does it exhibit the same macro-blocking? If not then your hard drive is going bad, replace it.

Moving parts of the hard drive are more prone to failure that the solid state items in the receiver.
Right, the next logical step. Thanks.

Right, the next logical step. Thanks.
So, remove dvr select from main menu, I assume, then after observations, reinsert EHD usb cable &c and follow prompts? Does recorded content remain or is reformat required? (WAF a concern here, heh)

In looking over replacement EHD specs, it appears This one ticks all the requirements boxes.
Correct? or am I missing anything?

Thanks again for looking.
While it may work just fine the DISH requirement is that the EHD be self powered, like with an AC adaptor. Folks who have this setup will chime in to say whether or not the USB powered drive is OK or not.

Didn't work for me..I burned up 2 vip211k power supplies using the USB powered EHD before I wised up and bought a external powered 2T EHD.. setup works for some but not for me.. There's been alot of discussion about this if you search

ATM no stuttering, so idk what the cause might be.Temporary network congestion or something(seems to be happening around dinnertime thereabouts)? Will continue looking, and revise my hdd search to include only externally powered. Thanks for all the helpful responses!

Reactions: Tvland1
Here's a recent Link on some discussion about the EHD that might be helpful

Reactions: 4d3fect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)