211k - Wireless connection

panache70

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Western Hemisphere
I have a Dish sub with only one 211k (EHD activated).

I would like to use the Dish Network Wireless Application from my Android phone to control what I record and also watch shows live on my phone / tablet.

I keep getting an error message that my receiver is not connected to the internet.

My modem/router is nowhere near the 211k, so I would like to know if I can get an ethernet or USB wireless adapter for the 211k?

Will this work? Also, I tend to "move" from my home location with my 211k receiver. Will connecting it to the internet flag Dish if I am out of state or out of the country? I do not want to have my service cut off, which is why I never plugged in the phone line.

Thanks

Last edited:
Dish Remote Access has never been available for a 211 w/DVR conversion, and the Sling Adapter only works for the 722/k and the Hopper. So, I see no way you will ever be able to control your 211 from an Android app, nor any way to watch shows on the 211, live or otherwise, unless Dish provides some pretty serious upgrades to their software. Sorry.

Now you might be able to watch shows available via DishOnline from your Android phone. But I've never done that.

So why does the 211k have a built-in Powerline adapter, and an ethernet port?
What purpose does it serve? Even if I could set event timers from my android app, that would be a plus...
If I were to connect my 211k to my router using the ethernet port, what features would I gain other than being able to order PPV from the receiver?

Are there any basic models of receiver that allow for streaming of live TV on your phone pr tablet? 222? Trying to get this feature without having to pay a monthly DVR fee if at all possible.

Thanks, looks like SD only though (or HD with no HDMI port). Might not be ideal for tablet. I suppose the HD models will set me back many hundreds? Almost worth it to upgrade and pay the DVR fee and just use the USB wireless adapter for 29$... I thought there would be a non-expensive solution for the 211k...

Are there any basic models of receiver that allow for streaming of live TV on your phone pr tablet? 222? Trying to get this feature without having to pay a monthly DVR fee if at all possible.

You may be out of luck on this, sling adaptor works with 722, 722k and Hopper, 922 already has sling loaded into the receiver. All have the dvr fee. Sling box should work on other receivers. There is an HD model, not sure of the cost of it though.

Thanks, looks like SD only though (or HD with no HDMI port). Might not be ideal for tablet. I suppose the HD models will set me back many hundreds? Almost worth it to upgrade and pay the DVR fee and just use the USB wireless adapter for 29$... I thought there would be a non-expensive solution for the 211k...

Right, to have HD you would need the Sling Slingbox PRO-HD. It can be had for ~$250.

To connect just about any device via wireless, the Netgear WNCE2001 ~$50, works really well.

Look at it this way, if you buy these, you can still use these devices without a subscription service. The slingbox pro HD has an ATSC tuner.

I have a SlingBox Solo hooked up to my 211K and it works fine. If you are planning to stream on your LAN to a PC then perhaps you can take advantage of streaming in HD, however, before you consider streaming in HD over the Internet determine if you have sufficient bandwidth. You will need at least a steady 3 - 4 MB/s of upload speed from your home ( even higher if you plan to try and stream to an over seas location ) and at least the same bandwidth at the location where you are going to watch the programming. It probably will have to be a WiFi connection at the receiving end. Even if your 3G or 4G speeds were good enough you would burn through your data caps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts