222 DVR Conversion

b0471@kzhosting.com

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Iowa
I saw this on the another site and I was wondering if this true:

First 513 lucky owners getting DVR functions on their ViP222 !

PID=08B5h
DownloadID:VVTB
Upgrading parts of new FW with filters: [3]
L378:'AAA1'-'BTD1','L040'-'L377'
L378:'AAA1'-'BTD1','L040'-'L377'
1613:'1[0-6]1[A-HJ-NP0-2]'&'AAA1'-'BTD1','L040'-'L378'
New FW:'L378'
List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs and SN: [1/1]
'1[0-6]1[A-HJ-NP0-3]'&'VA[ACEGJ-NP-R].': {ViP222} [513]

first spool for all new (OOB) ViP222

Quote:
PID=08B2h
DownloadID:1UGC
L378:'L040'-'L099'
L378:'L040'-'L099'
1613:'1[0-6]1[A-HJ-NP0-2]'&'L040'-'L099','L378'-'L378'
List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs and SN: [1/1]
'1[0-6]1[A-HJ-NP0-3]'&'VA[ACEGJ-NP-R].': {ViP222} R0000000001-R4000000000
and first range for regular customers:

Quote:
PID=08B5h
DownloadID:1VGC
L378:'AAA1'-'BTD1','L100'-'L377'
L378:'AAA1'-'BTD1','L100'-'L377'
1613:'1[0-6]1[A-HJ-NP0-2]'&'AAA1'-'BTD1','L100'-'L378'
List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs and SN: [2/2]
'1[0-6]1[A-HJ-NP0-3]'&'VA[ACEGJ-NP-R].': {ViP222} R0078568401-R0082756977
'1[0-6]1[A-HJ-NP0-3]'&'VA[ACEGJ-NP-R].': {ViP222} [627]
Thanks

Please update this thread when you plug in a hard drive. I have two 211ks, and just recently installed the 2nd rcr. The menu is totally different before installing the external hd. I had forgotten about that as my first install was a year ago. Once I plugged in the ehd, the reformat screen popped up. I was happy that after one year, there was no hassle about the dvr enabling fee. I have a 622 on lease and would like to replace it with a 222k, so let us know how this plays out. Thanks

Finally. I hope it is true and coming soon. I would also ask whoever gets this functions enabled first to please report the experience compared to an internal HDD 2 tuner DVR. My big concern is that the 222 and 222K DVR functionality will be limited compared to the internal HDD 2 tuner DVR's because Dish choose to use USB 2.0, which has limited bandwidth. Everyone else, it seems, went with eSATA, which has much more bandwidth and can allow for an experience just like an internal HDD 2 tuner DVR. I hope it works well, all the same.

Well my VIP222 now shows software L378. Last night I plugged in a USB hard-drive and got nothing.... I havn't yet tried plugging that drive into my 722 to make sure it works and is compatible. Hopefully will have time for that in the next few days. But so far it doesn't appear as though the software update enabled external HD capability? Anybody else tried it yet?

Well my VIP222 now shows software L378. Last night I plugged in a USB hard-drive and got nothing.... I havn't yet tried plugging that drive into my 722 to make sure it works and is compatible. Hopefully will have time for that in the next few days. But so far it doesn't appear as though the software update enabled external HD capability? Anybody else tried it yet?

You have to pay dish a one time enabling fee for the EHD to work, 39.95. Call them and tell you want the EHD enabled as DVR, not archive. Those are two different things. The archive function if for the 622, 722, etc. If they don't seem to understand, ask for tech support.

Just contacted E* tech support via online chat and was told "External Hard Drive or DVR capability is not available on the VIP222 at this time"

Maybe try again later and see if I get the same response?

VIP 222 Not Compatible with EHD?

Tried to connect EHD to my VIP222 with L378. No go. Had tech support change my access code from Archive (I used EHD on my VIP722K). No go. Tried another tech support person. I am now assured by Dish that the VIP 222 is not enabled for a EHD!!!
Anyone had better luck?

If I remember right when the 211 got the DVR feature I think it was announced on the tech show and they gave a date when it would available. Isn't it supposed to be on the Feb 8th? I emailed tech support and pasted the download for L3.78 to see what they would say. So far no answer. They won't give someone a straight answer even if it's in the works.

If I remember right when the 211 got the DVR feature I think it was announced on the tech show and they gave a date when it would available. Isn't it supposed to be on the Feb 8th? I emailed tech support and pasted the download for L3.78 to see what they would say. So far no answer. They won't give someone a straight answer even if it's in the works.

I don't believe there was such an announcement, at least not reported by Scott.

We may never see it on the 222. I wish they would put it on there but then again your only saving $3 if it is an additional receiver minus the upfront $40 and EHD you have to buy considering the fee is $14 for an additional now. You save $6 per month if it is the only receiver on your account since there would be no DVR fee. That might make it worthwhile but don't know if its worth saving $3 per month. It would take 13 months to break even on the $40 EHD fee and another 2-3 years to make up for the cost of the EHD hard drive if it is an add on receiver, half the time if it is the main receiver on your account.

I received this back from Dish about the conversion. It doesn't sound promising.

Thank you for your email. We are sorry for any confusion concerning the EHD features. The 222 receivers as of now are not being given this capability. This is not something that appears will be happening soon. As of now there are hardware issues that may not be able to be worked around.

They can say what they want, but nearer to the truth is probably the fact that it won't be a money maker for them with 2 tuners and no DVR fee, especially if it's the only stb on a sub's account.

They said "hardware" not "software" so it seems like that type of equipment is not DVR capable with any type of software they put in it OR they would stand to lose too much money on the 722 receivers.

They may be having some sort of problem getting the USB 2.0 port to carry 5-6 HD streams simultaneously.

WAG!

You have to pay dish a one time enabling fee for the EHD to work, 39.95. Call them and tell you want the EHD enabled as DVR, not archive. Those are two different things. The archive function if for the 622, 722, etc. If they don't seem to understand, ask for tech support.

When I plugged my EHD into my 211K before I called to have it activated, it recognized that I had a drive attached and prompted me to call Dish.

That is a 211 vs. the 222 being discussed in this thread. It is possible on a 211 (single tuner receiver) and not the 222 dual tuner receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts