$25 cancellation fee on Digital Service Plan

tarheel

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
Southeastern NC
Has anyone had to pay this charge when you cancel the Digital Home Service Plan?:( This could change how some things are done.

That is the new fee charged and was effective February 1st.

No more having something die then calling up and adding the service plan to get your problem fixed for free, then canceling the plan when your issue was fixed.

Now they charge you $15 for using the service plan, and $25 to get rid of the service plan.

Its a way for customers to pay for Dish Network's equipment failures. They split the cost up to make it not appear as bad ($25 and $15 or $6) or reduce the cost of Dish Network's equipment failures.

I'm sorry, but I still think it's RIDICULOUS that Dish charges the customers to fix THEIR equipment! I can see that I should pay if, for example, I dropped a receiver on the ground, or spilled a drink on it, but if a hard drive fails in a DVR from normal use, I just don't think that I should get charged to get that DVR fixed/replaced. It's been a while since I was with Comcast Cable, but I don't remember them ever charging me to replace a defective receiver....

Just my 2 cents!!

I'm sorry, but I still think it's RIDICULOUS that Dish charges the customers to fix THEIR equipment! I can see that I should pay if, for example, I dropped a receiver on the ground, or spilled a drink on it, but if a hard drive fails in a DVR from normal use, I just don't think that I should get charged to get that DVR fixed/replaced. It's been a while since I was with Comcast Cable, but I don't remember them ever charging me to replace a defective receiver....

Just my 2 cents!!

+1

what u expect it like reciever fees they have to get their money back from being sued from tivo case

Just my 2 cents!!

I agree. Thats why we pay a lease fee for there recievers.

I don't agree with paying a truck roll to replace a bad receiver either, or paying to ship it back if its under warranty.

However the issue on $15 truck rolls is due to the fact that over 50% of all the truck rolls are due to customer caused issues. If you did not charge customers, then they would expect you to roll a truck everytime they needed the batteries changed in the remote. The $15 charge is not ment to punish the customer, but make them think twice before they request a technician to come out and try to resolve the issue over the phone.

The only thing that should be changed is if its not a customer related issue, then they should not charge for the truck roll.

As far as the lease fees, its just named that way because its easier to explain. If it was truely a lease charge, then you should not have to pay an additional outlet fee when you buy your receiver outright.

Do they charge to ship a bad receiver back? I cant see that either unless you own the equipment and is still under warranty. I just paid the $15 to have an install of EA after the new hd channels were added to 72.7 and frankly I dont think we should have too pay that either. I think the only time that you should have too pay for them to send a tech out if you want to change services that require an additional dish. But all thinks considered for what I want for tv, dish has the best price . Until someone else comes out with a better price for the same package I get I chose to stay with dish.

Just my 2 cents!!
+3

-1. Dish has provided free lunches too often, especially to abusers. It needs to be curbed to some extent.

:)
-1. Dish has provided free lunches too often, especially to abusers

-3x +6xy - 4y

It astounds me that they charge to fix their own equipment. I would understand it for owned equipment if they did not charge "lease" fees even if I were to buy my own receiver.

People abused DHPP because it is ridiculous to charge customers to fix DISHs broken equipment.

Having had DISH for 5 years now I know for a fact the fees they charge to lease my 625, 322, 622 and now 722, including the DISHn it up charges of $99 each for the 622 and 722, they have made their money back several times over in fees plus locked me into another 18 mo then 24 mo commitment to boot.

I can say with certainty, when the HDD goes on my leased 622 or 722, they either replace it for free or lose me as a customer.

I do think that Satellite is at a disadvantage compared to Cable . Cable never charges you for initial installs, or to replace a crappy receiver. Nor do they charge you for fixing their cable coax to your house if it goes down. But cable does charge for a remote control use at TWC. It's like $2.00 on the bill each month on my sister's TWC bill. I don't think that is fair, but neither is DISH's new equipment fees for the dual tuner dvrs like the 722k /722/622/522 receivers. They combine a tv 2 connection fee for $5.00 + the additional receiver fee at $7.00 + the dvr fee at a discounted $5.00( regular $6.00) = $17.00 for an additional duo tuner dvr.

I do think that Satellite is at a disadvantage compared to Cable . Cable never charges you for initial installs, or to replace a crappy receiver. Nor do they charge you for fixing their cable coax to your house if it goes down. But cable does charge for a remote control use at TWC. It's like $2.00 on the bill each month on my sister's TWC bill. I don't think that is fair, but neither is DISH's new equipment fees for the dual tuner dvrs like the 722k /722/622/522 receivers. They combine a tv 2 connection fee for $5.00 + the additional receiver fee at $7.00 + the dvr fee at a discounted $5.00( regular $6.00) = $17.00 for an additional duo tuner dvr.

Dude, Cable initial installs are not free in most cases.
And their fees include a truck load of hidden fees.

I don't agree with paying a truck roll to replace a bad receiver either, or paying to ship it back if its under warranty.

However the issue on $15 truck rolls is due to the fact that over 50% of all the truck rolls are due to customer caused issues. If you did not charge customers, then they would expect you to roll a truck everytime they needed the batteries changed in the remote. The $15 charge is not ment to punish the customer, but make them think twice before they request a technician to come out and try to resolve the issue over the phone.

The only thing that should be changed is if its not a customer related issue, then they should not charge for the truck roll.

As far as the lease fees, its just named that way because its easier to explain. If it was truely a lease charge, then you should not have to pay an additional outlet fee when you buy your receiver outright.

:up x100 - We actually see a higher percentage of customer caused issues on trouble calls. The problem is that the majority of the public abuses the system and it is everyone else who has to suffer.

Remember people..........you do not see the whole picture. DHPP abuse was rampant and it had to stop.

Just my 2 cents!!

Do they charge to ship a bad receiver back?

It astounds me that they charge to fix their own equipment. I would understand it for owned equipment if they did not charge "lease" fees even if I were to buy my own receiver.

I've always had DHPP on my account. Over the years I've had several receivers replaced. Not once have I been charged for having a receiver replaced, nor have I ever had to pay to ship them back. Dish has always provided a return UPS label. I even had a tech come out once to replace a bad LNB and was not even charged the visit fee due under DHPP. :)

I've always had DHPP on my account. Over the years I've had several receivers replaced. Not once have I been charged for having a receiver replaced, nor have I ever had to pay to ship them back. Dish has always provided a return UPS label. I even had a tech come out once to replace a bad LNB and was not even charged the visit fee due under DHPP. :)
SKrueger, that was not my post (your third quote).

What will end up happening is that subscribers will start going to a different provider out of principal when they are told that they have to pay this fee.

If someone has a bad receiver, are they requiring a truck roll now? They were shipping the receiver to the customer and allowing them to install it thsemselves.