26 New HD Channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Neutron said:
My wife and I are having cable installed this week.

Sorry D*, but your HD content is a joke!!

How many cable channels does your system have in HD? What market are you in?

Neutron said:
My wife and I are having cable installed this week.

Sorry D*, but your HD content is a joke!!

So you left a company, where HD content is getting better by the day, to a company whose very essence, cable, will limit the amount HD it can provide?

boston area dtv said:
So you left a company, where HD content is getting better by the day, to a company whose very essence, cable, will limit the amount HD it can provide?

Not neccasarly, here is the listings for comcast where i live,

dot.gif
ESPN HD
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
iN DEMAND HD 1
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
iN DEMAND HD 2
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
Showtime HD
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
HBO HD
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
WLS-DT (ABC)
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
WMAQ-DT (NBC)
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
WBBM-DT (CBS)
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
WFLD-DT (FOX)
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
WTTW-DT (PBS)
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
WGN-DT
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
Cinemax HD
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
Starz HD
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
Comcast SportsNet HDTV
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
ESPN2 HD
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
TNT in HD
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
Discovery HD Theater
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
MHD

Left D* for cable 3 weeks ago. PQ of SD on cable looks like the HD-LITE on D* and the HD is now the real HD. On a small screen there won't be too much difference but on a large screen is the difference between a good picture and unwatchable. Only thing I'm missing is my TIVO and I don't have high hopes for the S3 because it's cablecard based. Cablecard doesn't work well with my setup (Mits 73927).

BTW, If D* adds more HD channels as you guys want , before 2007, be prepared to get a HD channel looking like the old NTSC. They can't compress even more!!

I don't understand when comaring HD offerings from a cable provider to D*, the only real channels missing are (Starz HD, Cinemax HD. MTV HD) D* provides locals in HD just like cable, RSNs in HD (in a few weeks) just like cable, and a number of national HD channels just like cable. (Voom channels only come into play when comparing D* to E*)

The only aurgment that holds water to me is the HD Lite issue. But I will holdout some hope that this will go away once all of the HD channels go MPEG4.

slimoli said:
PQ of SD on cable looks like the HD-LITE on D*

I would love to know what cable system you have. This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard anyone state about a cable company. I have just the basics on Comcast for my internet and the PQ is horrendous.

173 ESPN HD - (GOT IT)
174 iN DEMAND HD 1 - (cable fight)
175 iN DEMAND HD 2 - (cable fight)
185 Showtime HD - (GOT IT)
186 HBO HD - (GOT IT)
187 WLS-DT (ABC) - (GOT IT)
188 WMAQ-DT (NBC) - (GOT IT)
189 WBBM-DT (CBS) - (GOT IT)
190 WFLD-DT (FOX) - (GOT IT)
191 WTTW-DT (PBS) - (GOT IT)
192 WGN-DT - (GOT my local IND)
195 Cinemax HD (yawn)
196 Starz HD - (FINALLY a possible want)
200 Comcast SportsNet HDTV - (GOT my RSN)
203 ESPN2 HD - (GOT IT)
204 TNT in HD - (GOT IT)
205 Discovery HD Theater - (GOT IT)
209 MHD - (yawn)

with DirecTV I also have:
NFL Sunday Ticket SD & HD
Universal HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
NFL HD / Game of the Week HD
PPV HD
CD USA HD
FOX HD Special Events

charper1 said:
173 ESPN HD - (GOT IT)
174 iN DEMAND HD 1 - (cable fight)
175 iN DEMAND HD 2 - (cable fight)
185 Showtime HD - (GOT IT)
186 HBO HD - (GOT IT)
187 WLS-DT (ABC) - (GOT IT)
188 WMAQ-DT (NBC) - (GOT IT)
189 WBBM-DT (CBS) - (GOT IT)
190 WFLD-DT (FOX) - (GOT IT)
191 WTTW-DT (PBS) - (GOT IT)
192 WGN-DT - (GOT my local IND)
195 Cinemax HD (yawn)
196 Starz HD - (FINALLY a possible want)
200 Comcast SportsNet HDTV - (GOT my RSN)
203 ESPN2 HD - (GOT IT)
204 TNT in HD - (GOT IT)
205 Discovery HD Theater - (GOT IT)
209 MHD - (yawn)

with DirecTV I also have:
NFL Sunday Ticket SD & HD
Universal HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
NFL HD / Game of the Week HD
PPV HD
CD USA HD
FOX HD Special Events

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! I just came over from Dish, and I am happy at Directv with The HD they have, also as someone else pointed out, people are making fun of DIrectv's HD, which is only going to go up as they launch more satellites and fully implement Mpeg4, to say that cable companies (which are pretty much maxed out of Bandwidth until analog cutoff or switched video starts happening) are the best. I am confused, do people just complain to complain and trick themselves into thinking they are happy?

stuart628 said:
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! ...... do people just complain to complain and trick themselves into thinking they are happy?

YES, and anything to promote some fight....

BUT my ONLY point is no one company has it all, and they all have their own issues good & bad, so all this channel war crap is childish and stupid. Just pick what you and your family wants and be done with it.

Comments like "my SD looks like DBS HD-lite" is just plain wishfull thinking stupidity, and baiting for flame replies. Just push away from the keyboards people and go watch your TV. Come chat with the board when you need real help .

I think stupid is to pay D* to watch their junk SD and HD-LITE but maybe some of you either don't care about PQ at all or have a small display. Quality is for me much more important than quantity. D* in SD is like a bad VHS tape, period.

That only your opinion not everyone's. Keep it to your self. Until you see my system keep it zipped. Maybe just maybe other's have compared cable to D* and they like D*'s. You cannot judge other's PQ if you have never seen other's PQ. Just like I cannot compare your's.

Who said I'm comparing YOUR picture? I'm just posting MY own experience. I had Dish (loved it but I can't have it in my condo), Directv and cable. I bet you haven't seen D* SD picture on a real large screen TV otherwise you wouldn't defend this crap.

Well show's how much you know which is not much. You missed the whole point of what I said! Of course you have not seen my picture. You are the one saying D* PQ is crap but yet you beret others for their opinion. Like I said your opinion but you make it out to be the only correct position and run down others who say different. Oh I have a 61" DLP so Maybe I do know what I am talking about. Oh my Borther-In has a 61" DLP with Time Warner and he has very good PQ too!

Robbiee
We are both being childish with this argument. Keep your opinion about D*, that's fine. I have no reason to bash any provider and make no money with that. To tell you the truth, I actually didn't cancel my Directv. I got a very nice CSR on the phone who proposed that I should suspend my account for 6 months until things get better on the PQ front. He told me that with the new satellites on 2007 things will be different. I keep my 2 HD-TIVO on the shelf and hope that I can go back to D* someday.

My cable company really has a good picture, probably because they are new and all the wiring (fiberoptics) and equipment are top notch. I don't like their DVR (E-8300) since I'm a "TIVO" guy but I'm very happy with the SD picture . I'm paying almost twice the price of the same package on D* and , believe me, I would never do that without a strong reason.

Peace!

slimoli said:
I think stupid is to pay D* to watch their junk SD and HD-LITE but maybe some of you either don't care about PQ at all or have a small display. Quality is for me much more important than quantity. D* in SD is like a bad VHS tape, period.
If you don't like it, WHY are you HERE ?

Jimbo

bgartz said:
RSNs in HD (in a few weeks) just like cable,

The only aurgment that holds water to me is the HD Lite issue. But I will holdout some hope that this will go away once all of the HD channels go MPEG4.
What cable company are you refering to that already has RSN's in HD ???

Jimbo

Last edited:
plus whoever said Directv's sd is not good, I beg to differ, it looks better on my set then Dish networks...thats my opinnion. BUit I guess thats why i am in the directv forum, I enjoy their product!

slimoli said:
Robbiee
We are both being childish with this argument. Keep your opinion about D*, that's fine. I have no reason to bash any provider and make no money with that. To tell you the truth, I actually didn't cancel my Directv. I got a very nice CSR on the phone who proposed that I should suspend my account for 6 months until things get better on the PQ front. He told me that with the new satellites on 2007 things will be different. I keep my 2 HD-TIVO on the shelf and hope that I can go back to D* someday.

My cable company really has a good picture, probably because they are new and all the wiring (fiberoptics) and equipment are top notch. I don't like their DVR (E-8300) since I'm a "TIVO" guy but I'm very happy with the SD picture . I'm paying almost twice the price of the same package on D* and , believe me, I would never do that without a strong reason.

Peace!
Peace it is. I get tired of people bashing people on here for liking D*. We are here to share information and to help. Is D* the greats thing NO but I like D*. Do I want more HD yes but I can wait. I agree with stuart628 my SD looks darn good.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)