268 Where the Heck is it?

So true.... maybe CSR stands for Clueless Service Individual
or Clueless Sadistic Individual

SpenceJT said:
Has someone has been watching too many shows called CSI? :yes

Yeah, I've been watching CSI-Dishnetwork. All of the episodes show guys cutting receiver engineers up to figure out where their brains went. This program is just like the real thing. No one has a clue.... :D

It isn't in HD either, it's not compelling enough!

I read a post on dbstalk that said the next 811 update is now going to be in August!!!!!!!!!! It was a post about 2.03 on the 301, the person said they called a Dish CSR and was asking them questions about when the newest software would go widespread on the 301, and they said at the bottom of the post the CSR said it would be August for the 811. I don't think no one at Dish knows what they are talking about. I can't remember if Dish said it would be June or July that the update would be coming to the 811 on Tech Forum, but I think they said it was July. So the 811 probally won't be working like it is supposed to until 2223!! So all of us would have a less stressful time if we just forget about getting our 811's to work fully.

I just called Dish again and spoke with a nice lady in advanced tech support. While 266 took care of most of the problems with the dark s-video output (her words, not mine) engineering is currently working on a fix that should completely take care of the problem, and this will be 269 - which should be released in July.

I asked what the heck happened to 268, which was supposed to take care of the problem and she said that's also scheduled for July, but 269 is going to fix the dark s-video problem. She stressed that it's not a hardware problem and is definitely a software issue.

So, here we all sit, being told to just wait another month, and next month we'll hear the same thing. I sure hope that they don't string us along until our warranties have run out and then "discover" that it really was a chip/hardware issue after all. I went through that mess with my old 4700 receiver and the red jaggies problem, and it's not a battle I'd care to re-fight.

Scott

Well that is why one should take a release date from a CSR with a grain of salt even if they say they are sure... Working for a software company dates are always subject to change and usually the information is not passed along to other departments. Lots of lag and

Some people may think that software companies have a website that you pop over to to get the latest estimated release date info. This is not the case from my experience and I never put any credience to an unofficial or even official announced date. From my experience software releases are usually known by word of mouth and are often times stale, very inaccurate and not regular.

So it looks like 268 is a phantom.... Then again it may appear later today, tomorrow, or next week.

Does anyone else find it totally ironic that a receiver that is supposed to give you the best highdef quality has all these problems?

Mine had a dark output on all three outputs: sd/dvi/component. This is unacceptable. I gave my 811 in as a trade in on my 921. That being said my 921 has a thin red/blue/green line that runs down the screen on dvi/component outputs. This only happens on sd channels over the hd component and dvi outputs. The replacement is on the way.

It is funny how Dish has all these problems with the hd receivers . They have been out since Dec on the 921 and I think the 811 came out sooner than that. I would hope they can get these fixed before the X-mas shopping season or they will be sh*t out of luck again on high dollar electronic shoppers. :shocked

I shudder to think about the 942 and it 's release slated for November "no matter what" according to Scott and the last Dish trade fair.

WeeJavaDude said:
Well that is why one should take a release date from a CSR with a grain of salt even if they say they are sure... Working for a software company dates are always subject to change and usually the information is not passed along to other departments. Lots of lag and

So it looks like 268 is a phantom.... Then again it may appear later today, tomorrow, or next week.

Agreed. Working in the software development field as well, it is very important for folks to understand that application development is far from an exact science. A change in one small line of code can fix some problems and cause a myriad of others elsewhere in the system.

So, yes, release dates are a fairly fluid thing. We try to meet our deadlines, we try to release software that works right the first time, but that is rarely the case.

Example: a satellite travels millions of miles through space to enter into orbit around Mars. Instead, it's lost moments before orbital insertion. Why? Because a section of code for burn time and duration was using metric math and not "standard" math.

Mistakes happen. It's not fun and it's frustrating for everyone involved (trust me), but we don't live in a perfect world.

GaryPen said:
They certainly do. That Mars probe mistake was one stupid-ass, major league, bone-headed fluck up, if I ever saw one.

Yep, it was one nasty mistake in coding (to correct myself, I intended to say "metric calculations instead of 'standard' calculations", but I screwed that up)...

Anyway, hopefully 268 will be along sometime this month...

SRW1000 said:
So, here we all sit, being told to just wait another month, and next month we'll hear the same thing. I sure hope that they don't string us along until our warranties have run out and then "discover" that it really was a chip/hardware issue after all. I went through that mess with my old 4700 receiver and the red jaggies problem, and it's not a battle I'd care to re-fight.

Scott

The Last time I spoke with a CSR I told them that I wanted my account documented with my complaints about the 811. I said that I will wait on software to fix it, but if after a couple more releases and my warrenty is up I will ask for a replacement if it is not fixed. They said that was fine and I called back to make sure my account was documented. Next CSR confirmed that it was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts