28" outdoor lazy susan for 6' stationary satellite dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I think I found it!!!

Remember I was looking into a lazy susan for my 6’ satellite dish? I found several 18” industrial lazy susan’s, but didn’t know if drilling holes would affect the ball bearings. Plus I needed a platform to mount on top that would be good for outdoors.

The satellite dish base is 25.5”, so I needed something that was 28” in diameter in order to mount the base to the platform. While searching for an outdoor 28” platform I found this which is also a lazy susan and has a hole in the middle.

PERFECT!!!!

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Royal-Tahiti-Yellow-Balau-Outdoor-28-inch-Round-Lazy-Susan-with-Umbrella-Hole/5077520/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla

What do you guys think?

Probably not real tight/stable in design. You're doing this because you can't get a polar mount? I can see you dropping a C note on this project in short order.

That would be too easy Pixl. :) Plus I would need to purchase a VBOX, actuator, additional cable, cement, etc and move the dish off the deck.

I would attach the lazy susan to the table the dish is currently fastened to and then drill holes for various satellite positions and insert some sort of long bolt and nut to secure.

You also need to make the elevation adjustment simple to adjust as well as fixing the lazy susan.

If you get the polar mount, a threaded rod or large turnbuckle makes a good actuator and does not require more electronics, AND keeps the arc working. A pillow block at one end with double (and tight) nuts at that end of the rod a nut welded as a pivot in an eyebolt in the midst and a nut on the other end for the ratchet for the "Hand Motor" . NO extra power! No clicks to count! And you will not lose your redneck reputation! -- Unless you forget to put some duct tape on the dish somewhere.

I mentioned this over a year ago and several people thought it was a good idea. Just wait, I'll be the only Satellite Guy who has a lazy susan under his satellite dish. :)

Well I started about 3 years ago with a lazy susan under a 500 dish, check out pic (dish3).

I have improved the design by making my own lazy susan (pic dish1 & dish2) by using a section of formica counter top.

I use the dish and the lazy susan mounting all the time. I can go from 61w to 97w with only minor elevation and skew adjustments.

I use it alot when I work in the garage and try to catch CNBC on 72w.

And to watch the Naked City on RTV at 83w.

dish1.JPGdish2.JPGdishh3.JPG

Not sure I understand your scheme but if you are talking about drilling holes for the various azimuth positions, how about instead of that, just making some index marks and using a c-clamp or some kind of friction stop on your turntable? That way you could have more flexibility in your rotation adjustment.

Or I guess if you had the holes drilled you could just rotate your table slightly for tweaking too. ;)

Well I started about 3 years ago with a lazy susan under a 500 dish, check out pic (dish3).

I have improved the design by making my own lazy susan (pic dish1 & dish2) by using a section of formica counter top.

I use the dish and the lazy susan mounting all the time. I can go from 61w to 97w with only minor elevation and skew adjustments.

I use it alot when I work in the garage and try to catch CNBC on 72w.

And to watch the Naked City on RTV at 83w.

View attachment 77786View attachment 77787View attachment 77788

Thank you! At least someone doesn't think I'm crazy. :) I love your lazy susan design.

I like the idea, but I think the price is a bit high. Maybe not, I dunno... I would like to be able to spin PortaBUD, and this looks like the best idea for doing that.

This same outdoor lazy susan is available at Linens -n- Things for $54. This will allow me to actually see it before I buy to make sure it will work.

PopcornNMore said:
This same outdoor lazy susan is available at Linens -n- Things for $54. This will allow me to actually see it before I buy to make sure it will work.

I know this is out there. But another idea is a boat seat swivel most I,be seen can take a load of 200 - 250 lbs Should be in the 20 - 25 $ range

BTW the weight of the dish on my home made lazy susan is enough to make turning the azmuith for satellite alignment easy and comfortable. I adjust the azmuith all the time to pickup different satellites. On windy days I but a bucket of sand on the wooden platform to stop it from being blown over. So far the wind has never blown the dish out of a satellite alignment.

Before you purchase the lazy susan you can experment with two pieces of wood and some stiff plastic sandwiched between then to try out your idea. also you can go to Home depot or Lowes and see if they have a remnant piece of a formica counter top thats cheap and use that as a lazy susan.

Linen -n- Things went out of business in 2008, they liquidated all of their stores and only have an online website for sales.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts