$299 BD player in 2007?

yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. Sony's biggest problem is making announcements the rest of the company has no information on. Stupid comment to make before the $600 version even launches. "hey wait a few more months and it'll be cut to $299, just in time for Christmas"

But if they do get one out for $299, it'll be very bad for HD-DVD to compete unless they start dropping prices.

Yes, it is a STUPID comment to make. Didn't Osborne Computer go under because they prematurely announced their next model, killing all current sales?

Sony keeps shooting themselves in the foot. And their hardware is hit or miss. Ya gotta wonder how they survive.

$500 by Xmas I can see. $300 is really, really hard to see, even with subsidies.

Did you guys really read this? The "$300 player this year" statement was a misquote.

It went from "We think the tipping point is $299" to "We will have a player at $299".

Good lord...

Did you guys really read this? The "$300 player this year" statement was a misquote.

It went from "We think the tipping point is $299" to "We will have a player at $299".

Good lord...

From the link, today at 12:30:

"...Last Friday we reported on a quote from TV Week that Sony President and COO Stan Glasgow said Sony had plans to cut prices on its Blu-ray players to $299 by the end of the year. Well, don't update your Christmas list just yet. According to a Sony representative, Glasgow was misquoted. What Glasgow said, apparently, was that he felt the $299 price would be the tipping point where the average consumer would start to consider buying a Blu-ray player. Indeed, the Sony spokesman went on to specify that the company has no plans to roll out a Blu-ray player at that price point in 2007. That makes a lot more sense considering that Sony just announced a $600 Blu-ray player for this summer, and Glasgow basically said the same thing in an interview with CNET in January...."

Sure sounds like they are admitting they stated $300 by year's end. THEIR mistake, not ours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)