2D to 3D Conversion??

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Anyone out there using a display or player that does this? Just wondering how you feel about the PQ.

I understand a film not shot natively as 3D wont compare, but I see a lot of folks looking forward to the players and sets that will do the conversion. Keeping REAL 3D out of the mix, does a 2D-3D conversion on a BR make it more enjoyable than just watching the same BR in 2D??

Also, does it matter whether the set or player does it?

TIA

A lot of it really depends on the material. I've only sen the 2D to 3D on the Samsung. Some looks pretty good. Other stuff doesn't. I guess which one does it better would depend on which has the better alogrithm.

S~

I just installed my Sony VW90ES and tested it out. The 2D to 3D setting works but it isn't as good as real 3D productions. What it looks like is when you watch a program in 2D it appears on the screen plane. When you switch to conversion mode, and sync up your glasses, it gives the illusion that you are looking through a window into the next room behind the screen plane. Some things pop out like logo bugs in the lower right corner but nothing I saw ever goes in front of the screen like you can reach out and touch it. With real 3D on bluray it fills your room with images and goes behind the screen plane. Also, in order to watch in this conversion mode you have to manually select it, otherwise the video remains in 2D ( that's a good thing )

I've been watching, 90% 2D/3D on a Sony HX800. Literally all sports and most movies. Usually the back window is a good analogy, but I've seen some good seperation (a football pass from Rodgers seemed to be apart from all else. Looked for that during the next game but the angle or speed didn't give me that wow) Because of the cameras that are used and the way they are used, 3D productions can be jaw dropping.:D

I've used my Simulated 3D on my TV a handfull of times, and echo Toto's statements. I have the one model up, the Sony NX810, and love it. Most of my simulated 3D has been with movies and sports as well.

I picked up the BDT110. Watched about 15 minutes of "Beauty and the Beast" using 2D-3D conversion. Brought about a whole new depth. Put it back in standard version and it looked flat :D

S~

I also watched the beginning of HP6 where the Death Eaters were flying through town very quickly. Not once did the conversion falter, blur, etc. I think Panasonic hit the nail on the head with this one. I'll be testing further and writing a review later on.

S~

Very cool, glad to hear it's working well. Bodes well for these movies that will be shot in 2D and converted, especially with the claims 2D to 3D conversion tech is improving.

Very cool, glad to hear it's working well. Bodes well for these movies that will be shot in 2D and converted, especially with the claims 2D to 3D conversion tech is improving.

Should have stuck with the Panasonic ;) For the money, it hands down beats the Oppo. If you need DVD-A/SACD support, that's another story. Guess what, It worked with my equipment out of the box, too.

S~

I talked to the wife, and then ordered the BDT110. No need for a 210 since I have 200mbps powerline adapters, and the 110 has the improved Uniphier. 2D to 3D is something I want, and glad to see the 110 does it well.

Be an interesting week, set comes tomorrow, stand hopefully Wed, and BDT110 Wed. Gotta put the stand together and do a good bit of arranging.

I talked to the wife, and then ordered the BDT110. No need for a 210 since I have 200mbps powerline adapters, and the 110 has the improved Uniphier. 2D to 3D is something I want, and glad to see the 110 does it well.

Be an interesting week, set comes tomorrow, stand hopefully Wed, and BDT110 Wed. Gotta put the stand together and do a good bit of arranging.

The 2D-3D conversion isn't the wow factor like you see on 3NET, but the depth makes it very worthwhile and an added bonus. It doesn't look like paper cutouts walking around like someone somewhere else said.

S~

Haha. I think the small added depth makes it worth it, especially with the lack of 3D content on current releases. May not use it for everything, but I'd like the option. What depth setting are you using?

Hard to beat at $149, especially with the performance and PQ.

Haha. I think the small added depth makes it worth it, especially with the lack of 3D content on current releases. May not use it for everything, but I'd like the option. What depth setting are you using?

Hard to beat at $149, especially with the performance and PQ.

Like I said, least expensive BD player I've bought. The default is -2. Way more fun than the Oppo. With BD, no difference. The player is stellar. Got Amazon connected now that there is free streaming for Prime members. Got connected to Pandora. Might set up VUDU nexst weekend.

S~

Yepp, my BD85 PQ compared to the oppo is just fine too. Im excited about the free streaming for Prime, and the Avatar deal is very cool. I was really hoping to get it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts