2nd dish installation questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

a2zvisa

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 26, 2004
Visalia, Ca
I'm having DISH install the second antenna for independent local stations, simply because it's free, in a couple of days. Besides the extra locals, is there any other channels I may receive (free) with this second dish? Will the tech be using a different switch set up that may give me added benefits like additional lines for more receivers, etc?

Thanks for the input!

a2zvisa

You won't be able to receieve any additional channels for free, though if you are pointing to the 61.5 you could get some HD channels or internation channels, but they are subscription channels. As for the type of switch, it really depends on the type/amount of receivers you have now. If you have 2 older receivers, they will just cascade them with sw-21, if you have 2 new receivers, they will cascade them with DP-21's, if you have 3-4 receivers, then they will use either a sw-64, or dp-34. But if you have 3 recievers, now, then you already have the capablity to run up to 4, if they use the DP-34 switch, then you can cascade two more switches and have the ability to run up to 12 receivers. But those switches are not cheap.

Yes you will get some extra PI channels and extra shopping channels that are on 61.5 for Free. If your local CBS is owned and operated by CBS and you are getting your locals from E*, you will receive CBS-HD for no additional charge. International channels are extra and some are quite pricey. Sky Angel, a package of 20 Christian TV channels and 16 Christian radio channels are also available from 61.5 for $11.99/mo.

I just noticed that myself here in the LA area. I got my free dish back in February because they had alot of the "secondary" channels on 148 (I really just wanted a free SW64). Now it turns out that most of those channels have been quietly moved to a spotbeam on 119. Pretty soon they may stop offering those free second dishes in many markets. As a side note to this, if you live in LA (or NY too I imagine) and only have AT-120 and locals you are now good to go with only a Dish300!

dlsnyder said:
I just noticed that myself here in the LA area. I got my free dish back in February because they had alot of the "secondary" channels on 148 (I really just wanted a free SW64). Now it turns out that most of those channels have been quietly moved to a spotbeam on 119. Pretty soon they may stop offering those free second dishes in many markets. As a side note to this, if you live in LA (or NY too I imagine) and only have AT-120 and locals you are now good to go with only a Dish300!

Yes but you will not get all of the shopping and PI channels that are on 110 :D .

For the channels I REALLY watch, my old Dish300 is plenty. It's really conveniant to take along when we go on trips too. I have a tripod that I mount it on and one of those levels that goes inside the mast. All I do is assemble it, level it, then point it at 119. It goes up in about 10 minutes then we are watching TV wherever we may be. Nothing like going to the beach and watching satellite TV! :D

Well, OK, maybe there are a FEW better things...

Well the second dish install went without a hitch and I just realized that they installed a SW64 (I had a DISH500 with 2 SW21). Is this standard procedure? Doesn't this cost Dish Network a few dollars? Ive had a 2 receiver setup but now I guess I can add 2 more receivers now, right? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate this tremendously. This thrills me that Dish continues to "invest" in existing customers as myself since I had planned to add additional receivers in the near future.

a2zvisa

SW64's are old stuff. Tossup on swapping out the pair of Dual LNBFs for a Twin or Quad vs. using the SW64. It might depend on the receivers, also. Maybe you've got some that can't handle 3 birds via Twin/Quad plus SW-21 (although I can't think of any). It probably came down to what they had more of lying around.

If you only have 2 receivers, and added a Must Carry, then the tech should have used 1 Leg Twin, 1 Leg Dual, 2 Leg 21 switches and cascaded, or DP if you have DP receivers, so ya, you got lucky if he just used a 64 switch, just make sures its out of the weather, the 64 has a bad habit of dying if it gets to wet, or to hot, or to cold, or if you sneeze the wrong direction.

Yes, I only have two receivers at the moment. I now plan on adding an old 4000 and a 2700 in addition to my 811 and 3900. I remember the tech had a funny look on his face when I said I had only 2 receivers. After he left, I took a peek at the set up and there it was, a SW64 placed under the eve. I'm happy. Is there a website that I can see this set up: "the tech should have used 1 Leg Twin, 1 Leg Dual, 2 Leg 21 switches and cascaded"

Thanks
a2zvisa

jerrydss was trying to say the same thing I did, just in a confusion-causing fashion.

The Twin 500 plus Dual 300, 3-satellite, 2 receiver setup can be seen here.

When they did my second dish setup they also gave me the free SW64 since at the time I had all legacy equipment. My current LNBs are twin-duals on the Dish500 and single dual on the side dish. IRDs at the time were a 3900 and a 2700. I have since added a 508 and two 301s, one of which replaced the 2700. The 3900 I mainly keep activated for our frequent trips out of town (I have a Dish500 with a legacy twin set up a relative's house where we often visit - kind of a vacation home for us). If I would have known ahead of time how my equipment was going to change I would have gotten a DP quad instead of the SW64. I still might do it, then sell the SW64 on Ebay.

Hmm, I wonder what those things are worth right now...? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)