2nd HDTVs with 2 HD-DVRs Setup

neadisher

Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Jonesboro, AR
I am looking at getting a second HDTV around Christmas time. I currently have an HDTV hooked up to a VIP622 (my only reciever) by a HDMI cable. TV2 on the VIP622 is hooked up to a regular TV by RG6. The regular TV will be replaced by the new HDTV.

I would like to have a HD-DVR hooked up to the new HDTV. Currently we watch more recorded shows than live TV on TV2. I think that a 211 may be a good option at that time if the DVR to an external HDD function has been added by that time. I also like the thought of get a second 622 or a 722 since I know this does work. I really think that a 211 would be better since I may use this reciever in a camper from time to time and an external HDD is easy to replace if it goes bad.

I plan on buying the new reciever. Does any one know what extra fees from E* I can expect if I do this? I know I will not have to pay the lease fee on the second reciever since I will buy it, but will I have to pay a second DVR free for the second 622 or a 722?

Can I use the same external HDD on two different 622's or between a 622 and a 722 with out lossing any of the content on the HDD?

Any other information you can give me about a 2 HDTVs with 2 HD-DVR setup would be a bonus to me.

External hard drives work with any 622 or 722 on the same account.. You can watch and save programming on any 622 or 722 on the same account as well as record on any 622/722 unit on the account and move the drive between units without losing your stuff. If you try to plug it into a box not on your account, it will ask to format the drive and delete everything on it.

DVR fee applies per DVR box. If you have DVR Advantage, your first DVR is included (lease and DVR fee are all waived provided you have broadband or phone line attached).

I believe the only fee you'd pay with ownership of your box is the 6$ a month DVR fee. But I'm not 100% sure, you may have to pay a 5$ additional receiver fee too.

No-one has any estimated time as to when the VIP2xx external drive DVR feature will become available, if it ever does. I'm thinking it's probably quite a ways off if it is.

The guy to talk to about this is Claude over at The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25. He'd have all the answers and offers a good deal on owning a VIP622 or 722 if you should decide you want to own one. He should have your portable dish (tripod, etc.) needs as well if you need them for your camper.

"External hard drives work with any 622 or 722 on the same account"

Last I heard, this is an upcoming feature. Right now, you can only move that external HDD between receivers 3 times. This was intended to allow for saving material from one ViP that's being returned, to put on the replacement. Later on, we should have unlimited moves between receivers on the same account.

You'd know better than I.. I don't have or intend to use external storage. :)

I always read it as it was portable between capable devices in the same account. But maybe that was an intention and not an actuality yet.

External storage is great. However, I wonder if I'll ever get the time to watch everything I'm recording. And Dish Network so ungraciously keeps adding more and more HD, more than I can record and watch! ;)

I don't record much but I do love the fact that if I autotune schedule then it still applies the 'already seen' tag and skips it.. :)

I'm coming from a 721, which means no NBR....

although damn do I hate that '3 am daily update'.. I wish they could make it a weekly update instead.. I don't want to turn it off because I think I lose my guide then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts