2nd Remote not working well

mkmpanic

Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
i received the VIP 622 and have the HD received downstairs and an LCD upstairs (using the same box which is downstairs). the remote worked well when i first started using it, but after a few days i couldnt control the box unless i was 3 feet in front of it. i replaced the batteries, tried the attenuator, and nothing.

i read you can use a piece of coax as an extension. will any piece of coax work? or does it need to be special kind?

any other hints?

I have heard of people using a piece of coax AND mounting a UHF antenna at the end, pointing it toward the part of the house where viewing takes place.

Welcome! Check the short UHF antenna that should be extended vertically from its connector on the back of the 622. Is it nearly vertical and not touching anything else? What others have done is either move that short antenna higher or away from their equipment using a regular RG-6 coax and a barrel connector on the free end to reconnect the short UHF antenna, or else strip the outer insulation and shielding away from the far end of the coax to essentially make a new antenna. (There is probably no need to strip the inner foam insulation.) I'm not sure what the optimal length of that stripped end would be, either the same as the existing antenna or some integer multiple of that length perhaps. Some folks have also used one of these techniques to bring the UHF antenna (original or stripped end) closer to the area where the UHF remote is to be used by using a significant length of coax between the 622 and the antenna. You can even diplex the signals into one of the sat. tuner cables. There are several possibilities.
Check that original antenna first...

The problem I have with the #2 UHF remote that came with my 622 is that when I try to do things with it like bring up the DVR guide, bring up the program guide, etc. it misinterprets what I pressed and usually brings up the program description of the program currently on. It messes up all the time. If I try to use the remote from my previous 942 receiver, the same thing happens. This didn't happen on my 942. It's very frustrating!

more details...

i have narrowed it down a bit... the secondary remote doesnt perform well when the primary tv setup is in use. anyone have any insights?

seandudley said:
The problem I have with the #2 UHF remote that came with my 622 is that when I try to do things with it like bring up the DVR guide, bring up the program guide, etc. it misinterprets what I pressed and usually brings up the program description of the program currently on. It messes up all the time. If I try to use the remote from my previous 942 receiver, the same thing happens. This didn't happen on my 942. It's very frustrating!

Localized interference in your home will cause this, you need to do the long jumper relocation of the antenna trick or the splitter antenna relocation trick.

Another quick and dirty fix would be to trade out the little antenna for a bigger one, like some rabbit ears. Bigger collector often equals better performance. Remove the attenuator too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)