3 birds 3 antennas

aikoentp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Peoria area Central Illinois
Just moved to Illinois from Puerto Rico. I had 3 (two 1m and one 1.2m) antennas shipped along
with three dual dp pro lnbf's, switches and more. What is the third bird and what is AZ and EL from 61552?

You would have been much better off to sell the PR gear in PR and invested small part of the proceeds in a Dish 1000.2 (or do a Mover's Connection to Illinois). Residents of the mainland aren't accustomed to dish farms.

To answer your question, visit here:

http://www.dishpointer.com

Peoria/Bloomington appears to be a dual arc market so you need to be seeing either 61.5W and 72.7W (Eastern Arc, the third dish isn't necessary) or 110W, 119W and 129W (Western Arc). If you have any SD receivers, you'll need to opt for the Western Arc (or upgrade the receivers to HD).

Reactions: KAB
Why o why would I install a small 1000.2? The idea is more signal gain and less rain fade, bigger is better. besides these new installers wouldn't even begin to know how to install anything other than what the "system" tells them. I can find the AZ and EL for 129, thanks

Why o why would I install a small 1000.2? The idea is more signal gain and less rain fade, bigger is better. besides these new installers wouldn't even begin to know how to install anything other than what the "system" tells them. I can find the AZ and EL for 129, thanks
Look at dishpointer.com

Why o why would I install a small 1000.2?
Because it is sufficient?

Overkill in the CONUS footprint only consumes more acreage and electricity and even the largest dishes aren't going to help in Ku band when they're inundated with snow. Peoria averages 19.9 days of snow and a total annual snowfall of 24".

It's the law of diminishing returns. For the KU band here anything much more than the 1000.2 isn't going to make much difference. It could make a rain fade last a little less, maybe. If it cost you little to get it here and you are happy to install it then in the end you will be happy doing it your way. I'm also assuming you don't have a residential association.

rain fade is the issue. in PR, that now has a small dish. I never lost signal with my 6' and 5' antennas. the house next door dropped out all the time. Sure there wasn't a driving snow, but more surface area is more gain. As it only cost me $30 to ship the 3 antennas it's cost effective. I have a 1000.2 with LNBF's I can install on a DTV mast that is on the property we're buying. I'll tie it all together later after I install the pole mounts and trench for the RG6.

I have a 1000.2 with LNBF's I can install on a DTV mast that is on the property we're buying.
As part of developing your fallback plan, did you research whether the existing mast was the old 1-5/8" model or the new (2006) 2" HD version? The 1000.2 requires the smaller mast.

I haven't had access yet, but I have the complete setup. I hoped to be able to use the existing base plate. If not I will have to rethink everything.
If it was a DIRECTV HD setup with their behemoth "Slimline" dish, it won't work. The Slimline foot plate (and that of its predecessor, the AT-9) won't "hug" the smaller mast so it would require a some manner of bushing (or perhaps a sleeve welded on to a DISH tube) to provide the rigidity and holding power necessary to withstand a good wind load.

I would imagine that adding flat spacers will simply cause the through-bolt to flex where the flat spacer meets with the round tube.

One outfit sells a clamp-on adapter but it looks pretty hokey with a couple of setscrews threaded into a split tube.

On the other hand, if it wasn't an HD dish, the 1000.2 should slip right on. ;)

Come to think of it, if it was a worldDIRECT dish, those came with a 1-3/4" mast.

It's a slim line. What is the possibility of using an adapter and a dish lnbf for western arch? All temporary.
There is no practical way to adapt a DISH LNB to a Slimline.

A tripod may make sense here. If it were me, I'd pole mount the DISH 1000.2 and be done with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)