3 Body Problem - Netflix

Another show, I really wish there was no TV Season until Fall so I can catch up.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I saw that Prime Video has “Three Body”, so I started the first episode, not knowing what to expect. First, on goes the English captions as it is entirely in Chinese (Cantonese? Mandarin? I couldn’t tell you). However, the premise is that something is causing theoretical physicists around the world to commit suicide. This show is also based on the novel “The Three Body Problem” by Liu Cixin. After watching the Netflix trailer, I wonder which will be closer to the novel.

There are 30 episodes in total. I’ve watched seven so far and it’s quite well done.

I have finished ”Three Body” on Prime Video and have to say, Wow! It’s a slow burn, but it does a fairly good job with the source material. As I mentioned in the “What are you Watching” thread, the last two episodes pull out all the stops with over-the-top CGI to leave you wanting more.

Now, Peacock is planning on releasing it on their streaming service this month, before Netflix’s adaptation.

Last edited:
I have finished ”Three Body” on Prime Video and have to say, Wow! It’s a slow burn, but it does a fairly good job with the source material. As I mentioned in the “What are you Watching” thread, the last two episodes pull out all the stops with over-the-top CGI to leave you wanting more.

Now, Peacock is planning on releasing it on their streaming service this month, before Netflix’s adaptation.
Just subtitled right for the Chinese version?

Just subtitled right for the Chinese version?
Definitely had their subtitles turned on. It made me pay attention as I couldn’t understand anything that was being said (rarely was there English dialogue).

There were some “interesting” bits of dialogue when interacting with the non-Chinese characters. I’m not sure if that was done as a way to denigrate these foreign cultures or just not being familiar with how people outside of China actually talk.

No other nationality is mentioned by name, usually referenced as “Country T” or “City M”, again a strange way of dealing with the other countries of the World. I don’t know if that’s how the novel was written, but it’s a quirk and really doesn’t diminish the work as a whole.

All 8 episodes available to binge. One of those shows you have to watch and judge for yourself. Me, I liked it...quite a bit, character-wise. And Liam Cunningham! (Game of Thrones, as well as the producers) Pretty confident it will continue.

We already had a thread for Netflix’s “3 Body Problem”:
I’m surprised XenForo didn’t nag you about creating the new thread, especially since you and klang both picked the exact same Thread title.

Maybe it’s time to re-start the Netflix account to watch this version. It seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews.

All 8 episodes available to binge. One of those shows you have to watch and judge for yourself. Me, I liked it...quite a bit, character-wise. And Liam Cunningham! (Game of Thrones, as well as the producers) Pretty confident it will continue.
I am only on the 2nd episode, I know I will be up late t-nite watching as many as possible.

Definitely a show that should be binged.

I wanted to like it. Occasionally, I did. Some of the ideas are great. But talk about plot armor!

-The aliens can’t lie.
-The aliens can’t coexist with humans.
-The aliens have the ability to manipulate reality.

Therefore there’s no question that the aliens intend to destroy humanity.

So other than serving the story, why don’t they just cause humanity to destroy itself now? Why wait 400 years for humans to possibly learn how to fight back?

Also
I really think the Wallfacers were chosen by the disembodied head, after it drifts in space for 5,000 years, is revived, and sends the message back in time.

Reactions: TheKrell
Up to 2am, burned thru 6 episodes, that Ship scene was amazing.

Watched it on Netflix (had no idea it was on Prime). I liked it. Really loved the first 4 episodes, then the last 4 still good but not great. Lots of plot holes for sure, but enjoyable. Gengis Khans army scenes, now that alone was worth watching.

Finished last night and enjoyed it a lot. Hopefully we get to see the remainder of the story. There are three books in the series but I haven’t seen anywhere if season one aligns with book one. Two of the three men behind the series are the pair that brought us Game of Thrones.

Reactions: TheKrell