3 Days In, Already Trouble In Paradise

Shleprock

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
Ok- I had Voom installed on Friday. After a shaky start and several reboots I was finally getting what I was supposed to just without a few of the locals (that's another story). I watched Voom pretty much all weekend. Had to unplug it and plug it back in once after fast channel changing. No big deal. Came to this forum read it was a problem, figured a software update would take care of it. Went to bed last night and woke up to a whole new Voom experience today. The sat receiver will work for about 2 hours then flash up an error message, signal indicator will go red, and that's all she wrote. The only thing that will bring it back is unplugging it and plugging it back in. Granted, that works, but doing it every two hours from now on would really suck.
Here is where it gets more irritating. I called Voom to explain this whole situation. After 40 minutes of "explain and hold" I was offered an appointment of April 10 to switch to a new receiver due to lots of installs in the area. Now I ask you, would you want to have to unplug and plug back in a receiver every two hours you watched TV for almost 3 weeks?!! Needless to say since the CS person is just a go between for Voom and Installs, Inc. there was no real resolution. I love the system, but this will not do. If April 10 is the date they want to address this it will be to pick the equipment up. No one has yet to call me back about no locals and the fact that they created duplicate accounts for me, so I'm not holding my breath on this issue either.
I really feel strongly they should give priority to customers with systems who aren't working properly and push back a new install. To say they can't take an hour to swap my receiver because they have to install new customers is bad business. Oh well, I was hoping my first post would be to extoll the virtues of the system and beat down the naysayers not to complain. Stay tuned, we'll see what happens...

Seems after the call to CS the receiver has been targeted for the new software. Maybe I should unplug, etc. and see what mischief that brings :eek: ??

OK - Unplug, Plug, Wait.... so far didn't work for update. We'll see if it updates overnight tonight, and more importantly if that stops the receiver from acting up.

Software should come between 12 and 3am, so check it back tomorrow and post an update, please.

See what the update does. If the box still acts up, try the replacement one you have scheduled.

I imagine your a little sour how things have gone so far...but try and hang in there. Theres bound to be bad STB's.

Bill

Software update was done during the night last night. So far today, at least from the time I turned the box on at 6 am until now, everything is stable. We'll see if it remains that way - I sure hope so - I dig the service.
Channel changes are really snappy, that's the truth. Other than that, I don't know what else the update has done for me. Will keep you posted.

Shleprock said:
Software update was done during the night last night. So far today, at least from the time I turned the box on at 6 am until now, everything is stable. We'll see if it remains that way - I sure hope so - I dig the service.
Channel changes are really snappy, that's the truth. Other than that, I don't know what else the update has done for me. Will keep you posted.

Good. Keep us posted. Any comments negative/positive regarding the new software download, keep it here. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)