3 HD channels on one transponder!!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
slacker9876 said:
but I have read some reports of, perhaps Voom, going as high as 35Mbps.
No, some of the major networks provide the signal to their local affiliates in a DS3 at up to 45Mbps, but that signal is of course re-compressed down to less than 19.3Mbps. I don't thinnk any of us have ever seen (on the consumer side), HD at 35Mbps. Dishnetwork reportedly provided the NBC Olympic feed at 22Mbps, which I would guess to be close to the highest that's been used to final customers. More typically, they use 2-3 HD channels per transponder, which is going to put them around 15-20Mbps, depending on the transponder loading. Voom has far too many channels for their bandwidth to do that. They are probably closer to 13Mbps. DirecTV has had to reshuffle some of their channels to make room for Sunday ticket... for those channels that are 3/transponder, it's around 11Mbps, while two/transponder is around 17. ALL these numbers are a bit higher than the real bandwidth, as there's overheard in there that reduces them down a bit. But those numbers are more elusive.

DaJoker said:
slacker,
you may have been confusing that with bandwidth per transponder.
Actually, Voom has the highest bandwidth per transponder, it's 55Mbps, after FEC, but before some other overhead numbers. But they have fewer transponders. 35 is closer to DirecTV's transponders.

Darin said:
Actually, Voom has the highest bandwidth per transponder, it's 55Mbps, after FEC, but before some other overhead numbers. But they have fewer transponders. 35 is closer to DirecTV's transponders.

Last I checked, this was the DirecTV forum, was it not? ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How can I trade out a Sammy 360 for an HTL-HD?

Soon to be new D* customer....Any HD Receiver deals ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)