3 Joey2s refuse to connect to Internet thru Hopper3 !!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If you use a 2 piece mesh system, do you keep the modem/router in the middle? For instance, modem/router on the first floor, one mesh is on the second floor and the second is in the basement. Since I use a cell tower connection (living in the sticks) my T-Mobile gateway has to be on the second floor for best connection. So, what makes the most sense? Keep the gateway on second, place one mesh on the first floor and the second in the basement? Keep one mesh (attached to gateway with ethernet cable) on second floor and the second mesh on the first floor (or in the basement)?
Now you're giving me a headache! As HipKat said above, any modern mesh network will be tri-band like his and mine both. One of these has to be a full-blown wireless router which could stand alone in your house or be combined with satellites. HipKat makes it sound like the Velop mesh are all routers. The satellite in the Orbi system is just a satellite and cannot operate without the master/router part.

If your T-Mobile gateway must be on your upper floor, if I were you, I'd place a satellite in your basement with a wired backhaul if possible. My two Orbis (one in basement and the other on my top floor) fill in all the dead spots in this house. With a mesh system, you can wander around your house with a wireless device and the mesh will seamlessly hand off the connection as needed. Supposedly (I have heard that) wireless extenders aren't so seamless and you can suffer drops while moving around.

So that is my recommendation: a mesh network with a wired backhaul if possible.
Second question: Unlike range extenders the speed does not degrade with mesh systems. Is this correct?
I am not sure about that. I think it has to slow down, depending upon the number of wireless connections it has to deal with. But with a wireless backhaul, you will have difficulty ever finding that limit.

Thanks Hipkat. I am checking mesh systems (3 nodes) at Amazon.
I have one question.
The system I am looking at has 3 identical units. I must connect one of them to existing gateway (that has 2 ethernet ports) via ethernet cable. Run the phone app and set it up, Then, place the other units at different locations. Apparently, I have two options. Either use it as replacement router or as an access point.
Now, what is a better choice?
Disable wifi on gateway and use mesh system as a new wifi network? (I guess that means I need to reset all of my 17 devices, one by one.) Or, should I use all three units as access points? With this method, I leave some of my devices that need 2.4 GHz (garage door opener, Amazon echo speakers,etc.). I switch wifi connection from gateway's wifi network to mesh network for stability and better signal.

Currently, I am using a range extender which works fine. But, the speed will be better with mesh. Of course, I will disable the extender.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Disable wifi on gateway and use mesh system as a new wifi network? (I guess that means I need to reset all of my 17 devices, one by one.)
If I were you, I'd disable the T-Mobile gateway WiFi and set up the mesh network using the same credentials. I do this when I upgrade routers and none of my equipment ever needs to be connected to a "new" network. Before you buy anything, you might look into whether that gateway can form a mesh. My friend's Cox gateway can do that with fairly cheap wall wart mesh add-ons. Perhaps T-Mobile can as well.

Reactions: HipKat
Now you're giving me a headache! As HipKat said above, any modern mesh network will be tri-band like his and mine both. One of these has to be a full-blown wireless router which could stand alone in your house or be combined with satellites. HipKat makes it sound like the Velop mesh are all routers. The satellite in the Orbi system is just a satellite and cannot operate without the master/router part
True. The Velops are all Tri-band Routers. (They have a Dual-band model, too). The Google Routers are a Router/Router or Router/Point (Satellite) combo.

Thanks Hipkat. I am checking mesh systems (3 nodes) at Amazon.
I have one question.
The system I am looking at has 3 identical units. I must connect one of them to existing gateway (that has 2 ethernet ports) via ethernet cable. Run the phone app and set it up, Then, place the other units at different locations. Apparently, I have two options. Either use it as replacement router or as an access point.
Now, what is a better choice?
Disable wifi on gateway and use mesh system as a new wifi network? (I guess that means I need to reset all of my 17 devices, one by one.) Or, should I use all three units as access points? With this method, I leave some of my devices that need 2.4 GHz (garage door opener, Amazon echo speakers,etc.). I switch wifi connection from gateway's wifi network to mesh network for stability and better signal.

Currently, I am using a range extender which works fine. But, the speed will be better with mesh. Of course, I will disable the extender.
I would probably disable WiFi on your gateway and when you set up the others, keep them close to the first one, then take them to where you're going to place them after they each get set up. For some reason, the Velops and the Googles like to be near the "Main" unit. I also do like Krell said and use the same credentials

Thanks to you both. After reading T-Mobile gateway user guide. I will call T-Mo's customer service and ask about mesh system to be sure they work fine with their can. T-Mobile improved its service about a month ago. The speed almost tripled!
A wired backhaul (running ethernet cables behind drywall, two floors down) is not possible for me. I wish the technology existed when I had my house built 19 years ago. So, my only option is wireless backhaul.

Reactions: TheKrell
I will call T-Mo's customer service and ask about mesh system to be sure they work fine with their can.
I don't see the necessity of doing that, IF you can turn off their WiFi. So far as their wired port is concerned, you just have one computer attached. Your "one computer" is your mesh wifi router.

Thanks TheKrell. I had few questions to T-Mo rep such as how to turn off wifi on their gateway. He explained clearly. I always worry messing things if I don't know whole lot.
Anyway, T-Mobile gateway works with any mesh system. I will be getting my mesh soon and excited about it.

Update December 14, 2021

I received my mesh system yesterday from Amazon. TP-Link Deco S4 with 3 nodes. I was very satisfied with TP-Link brand products (range extenders, USB wifi external antenna for a pc, etc.) That and the cost ($110) were the reasons. I felt 400-500 dollar system would be overkill for my needs.
I downloaded the user guide and read reviews at Amazon yesterday. Since I wasn't sure what type of connection my gateway used, I called my ISP. Out of 6 choices my iphone deco app listed, it was 'Dynamic IP'. After installing the deco app on my iphone, I followed the instructions. The app showed the type was Dynamic IP. So, that was a relief. I set up the first node (satellite or unit) with ethernet cable to my gateway. it was easy. Deco app created the network. I followed one of the Amazon reviewers' recommendation, and set up the remaining deco units in the same room where my gateway and first node (which now works as a router) are located (second floor bedroom). No problem. Then, I unplugged those 2 units and placed them on first floor and in the basement.
I tested wifi speed. (speedtest by Ookla). Everywhere. Next to gateway, first floor, basement. I used both my old 7S iphone and a new HP Chromebook. Speed with T-Mobile's network was about 40-50 mbps. (Not much change. Considering the signal is coming from a cell phone tower.) Then, I switched to Deco's network. The speed went up to 120-130! Even in the basement. That was my whole purpose. Increasing the wifi speed down there, two floors down. If it stays like this, I will be a very happy camper.

Few thoughts:

1-Two networks. t-Mobile and Deco. Some say it may cause wireless interference and suggest I reconfigure my system.

2- Keep everything the way it is. Some devices, especially the ones that require 2.4 gHz connection are using T-Mobile's network. They are working fine at the moment.

3-Disable wifi on T-mobile gateway, and use Deco's router and its network? In this case, I need to reset every wireless device. Doable but sort of annoying.

4- Use Deco mesh system as AP. (access point) Apparently, some people have had issues when they used Deco as a router. This method disables some features on Deco. (port forwarding, guest network, time limits on kids, etc). I don't care about those.

I will wait few days or a week and see how the mesh is working.
I can't tell what method will work the best. I am open to any suggestion from network gurus here.

Speed with T-Mobile's network was about 40-50 mbps. (Not much change. Considering the signal is coming from a cell phone tower.) Then, I switched to Deco's network. The speed went up to 120-130! Even in the basement. That was my whole purpose. Increasing the wifi speed down there, two floors down. If it stays like this, I will be a very happy camper.
Sounds like a 2.4G vs 5G thing, or is TMO's gateway that weak? Interesting.

3-Disable wifi on T-mobile gateway, and use Deco's router and its network? In this case, I need to reset every wireless device. Doable but sort of annoying.
4- Use Deco mesh system as AP. (access point) Apparently, some people have had issues when they used Deco as a router. This method disables some features on Deco. (port forwarding, guest network, time limits on kids, etc). I don't care about those.
Both of these would be the ideal. To avoid setting up a bunch of devices again, I would recommend changing the wifi name and password to match the TMO unit's, then disable the TMO gateway wifi. That way all of your devices will connect with the same user/password thinking they are still on the old gateway. Also, as you have it now, you are double NAT'ing (In simple terms, going through two routers before you hit the internet). This introduces latency and may reduce performance on time sensitive internet traffic (video gaming, video/audio calls, etc). Normally you would disable the ISP's router to combat this (also known as placing the device in bridge mode) since your Deco units are most likely better at routing traffic, but TMO does not allow this (Due to weird IPV6 technology I wont get into), so placing the Deco's in access point mode disables routing and you are back to having only one router in the network. If this sounds to complicated I would just match the Wifi name/passwords then disable the TMO wifi and be done with it.

Speed with T-Mobile's network was about 40-50 mbps. (Not much change. Considering the signal is coming from a cell phone tower.) Then, I switched to Deco's network. The speed went up to 120-130! Even in the basement. That was my whole purpose. Increasing the wifi speed down there, two floors down. If it stays like this, I will be a very happy camper.
And that is the primary reason for Mesh! Better internet throughout your whole house

Good morning gentlemen;
Ethan, I am glad T-Mobile gateway has both 2.4 and 5GHz speeds. Some of my stagnant devices such as garage door opener uses only 2.4 gHz. I switched the operating mode on Desh system from router to AP. Interestingly, Deco network did not disappeared. Still there. No drop in speed. With this method no need to reconfigure all of my devices. I attached an ethernet cable from laptop to Deco satellite in the basement for even higher download speed. I tested it with Ookla's speedtest. Not a big difference compared to what I get with wifi. That surprised me. Not hugely disappointed. But, I thought ethernet connection is always better. maybe, it is the reliability not necessarily the speed.

I attached an ethernet cable from laptop to Deco satellite in the basement for even higher download speed. I tested it with Ookla's speedtest. Not a big difference compared to what I get with wifi. That surprised me. Not hugely disappointed. But, I thought ethernet connection is always better. maybe, it is the reliability not necessarily the speed.
Well, that is because you are technically still working with WiFi. Even though you are hooking the laptop up with Ethernet, the interconnection's between the satellites is still wireless. You essentially get limited by the weakest link between the laptop and gateway. Have you tried the laptop connected directly to the main Deco unit?

Ethan: Have you tried the laptop connected directly to the main Deco unit?

I always thought about that. Good point. I will try both cans. T-Mo gateway and the main Deco up there. I am pretty sure I will get much better signal. In reality, I will never be in that guest bedroom on the second floor to use my laptop. The reason for that gateway to be there is it gives me the best signal at that location. High enough above trees. I am living in a very heavily wooded area. I will report the results asap.
Thanks Ethan.

Some of my bad spelling and grammar in the past threads were caused by not checking before posting them!!

My test results: Connecting my laptop directly to T-Mobile gateway with ethernet cable gave me the best speed. I also tried it with main Deco S4 satellite (node) using the same cable. Same result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts