3-Room HD w/ 942 Install question...

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
O.K., so sorry if the info is scattered about for me to find elsewhere, but what I really need is for some kind soul to give me a quick-and-dirty checklist of what to request of the installer when they arrive this Sunday morn...

I'm a new E* sub having a three-room install done w/ a two-dish setup to get all my locals--a 942 in the main room and two 811s, one in the bedroom (hooked up to a small HD set) and one hooked up to an SD set (got the 811 so I can have OTA HD/see all channels, incl. letterboxed/downrezzed HD ones). I have a Winegard unpowered terrestrial installed on the roof and currently feeding the two HD sets with splitters (to take advantage of both sets built-in tuners as a 'worst case scenario' and for PIP) and V* boxes (soon to be doorstops). The cable drops and coax into the rooms are done, but I want to make sure all the hardware is put in place to ensure optimal signal strength/PQ, enable PIP on the 942 and the ability to have OTA folded into the guides in all rooms.

So, is this a 'normal' install as the CSRs seem to be telling me? Or am I going to have to insist on some upgraded components here for a good setup? I know that the 942 needs proper wiring/diplexers and I'm cutting the antenna strength by splitting it three times (or am I wrong here, the V* boxes (2) show 94+ current antenna signal strength which seems pretty good). In short, what all should I make sure to have the installer do?

Thanks in advance...any help is much appreciated. I'll feel much more comfortable if I have this checklist to run down with the installer, so I don't have to have a repeat service call later to fix something and therefore bug the hell out of my third floor/rooftop condo neighbors again.

I sent Shane a detailed PM. Did not want to get flammed if I said anything bad about intallers. If I did, I was only talking about the young Kids that sometimes fill in for the real installers and forget to do things.

You will need to power your ota antenna. The voom box supplied the power, the dish box does not. The 811 will have the program info on the guide. The 942 will only have guide info for locals that are provided by dish (you must subscribe). The 942 mirrors the analog listing povided by dish. Any locals scanned in that are not in the "customary" local area will list as local digital. You can only record those manually.

Don't expect the installer to do anything about your ota signal. If the wires are where they should be, he will diplex them for you. You will still need to power the antenna.

Have the installer provide the 61.5 signal also. This is where the voom bird is, and will probably be needed in the near future. This will require two dishes. Nothing like being ready.

I am having a similar install done friday 1/811 and 2 basic sd receivers. So from what you all are saying, i CAN splice/share the cable from the dish and the ota antenna.I called dish to ask and they didnt understand my question. I was hoping it would work like voom, 1 cable to 1 input on the box, but the guy at dish implied i would need cables all the way from both the antenna and the dish.
Thanks for all your help, Chuck

The basic sd receivers do not have a way to receive ota signal. The 811 can receive the signal. The installer can combine the signal from the ota antenna with the dish signal using a diplexer (it looks like a signal splitter). The signal is then separated at the other end (at the receiver) with another diplexer. This way you only have to run one wire from the signal to the receiver.

Any specifics on the diplexers. That's what I had set up w/ my initial D* and V* installs (the D* was just split to feed the TV ant in pre-STB HD upgrade, the V* boxes took the single line-in and I split it for PIP on the TVs).

On that note--I was getting good signal pre Voom, so my question about the need to power the antenna...A) is the 942 and third room going to cut the signal strength and thus require powering the antenna, and B) is that something I can evaluate when the E* installer is here and have them do if necessary (for a fee), or are the parts something I'd typically have to pre-order and seperately schedule/reschedule? I had Abt in Chicago do the original OTA install--and paid a good penny. If I need more work done to be fully functional with this particular sat provider, hopefully, worst case scenario, they'd work with me on the issue.

Oh, and thanks 'ScottChez', I'll have your recs handy day of install, etc.

shanewalker, may I ask how much you paid for that 942 and two 811?

New sub 'lease' option on all...so, $250 down for the 942 (and $5 DVR fee waived w/ 180 pack), $5mo for the two 811s. Really good deal IMHO.

The install is 'free' after $49 refund upon first billing, BTW. That's what made me question whether there were 'corners' on the install that would preclude me from having everything done optimally.

It will be difficult to know if your signal would be too week ahead of time. Your ota antenna will probably need to be powered, as the dish receiver does not provide power as the voom box did.

If your installer is from the dish office, not a contractor, he will not have the power for your antenna. If it is a contractor he may.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, just wanted to see if there are any other deals out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts