30 second skip will get stuck on a Directv commercial

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cave1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hells waiting room (El Paso,TX)
When I ff through the commercials using the 30 second skip and a Directv commercial is playing, the skip toward will get stuck on the Directv commercial. It will replay the commercial until I either let the commercial play or use the regular ff button and not the 30 second slip/skip. This only happens with Directv commercials. The receiver is a HR24/500 with software 0x5d2 and I have reset the receiver a few times.

Who else is having or had this problem and is their a fix? The only thing I can think of that might fix this problem is forcing a download with the latest software version.

Last edited:
cave1376 said:
When I ff through the commercials using the 30 second skip and a Directv commercial is playing, the skip toward will get stuck on the Directv commercial. It will replay the commercial until I either let the commercial play or use the regular ff button and not the 30 second slip/skip. This only happens with Directv commercials. The receiver is a HR24/500 with software 0x5d2 and I have reset the receiver a few times.

Who else is having or had this problem and is their a fix? The only thing I can think of that might fix this problem is forcing a download with the latest software version.

I first noticed this about a year ago. It has been blamed on a software glitch and seems to come and go. I have noticed it most on DirecTV commercials but it has not been limited to them.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/268604-Can-t-FF-through-Sunday-Ticket-commercials

No, it's not intentional, despite some of the posts on the subject. DirecTv has been experimenting with "locally inserted" commercials, they are actually inserted into the video stream on your DVR. The DirecTV ones are the most obvious, but there are others. According to a poster on another forum there is a problem with the time code associated with the video stream, which is not generated correctly for these locally inserted commercials. As I understand it, 30 second "slip" works fine, but if you have 30 second "skip" enabled you have this problem. I suspect the "skip" takes the start timecode and adds 30 seconds, and then can't find that time code in the locally generated commercial.
Other than going back to 30 second "slip" there's no solution to this.

Happens to me on my HR-24 for any D* commercial, even last night.

texasbrit said:
No, it's not intentional, despite some of the posts on the subject. DirecTv has been experimenting with "locally inserted" commercials, they are actually inserted into the video stream on your DVR. The DirecTV ones are the most obvious, but there are others. According to a poster on another forum there is a problem with the time code associated with the video stream, which is not generated correctly for these locally inserted commercials. As I understand it, 30 second "slip" works fine, but if you have 30 second "skip" enabled you have this problem. I suspect the "skip" takes the start timecode and adds 30 seconds, and then can't find that time code in the locally generated commercial.
Other than going back to 30 second "slip" there's no solution to this.

Got it. Thanks.

I'm going to assume intentional until the SW "glitch" also refuses to skip over a Dish commercial :)

Funny how it only happens during Directv commercials... even if they are locally inserted... :rant: It started happening to my HR21's for about a week now.

It happened on a PSA during "Coma" on A&E recorded Tue night. In the past I noticed it on some Cadillac ads (not local) as well so it's not just DTV ads, though it does tend to occur predominantly during DTV ads.

The timecode explanation provided on DBStalk is plausible and keep in mind the 30second skip is NOT an officially supported feature so DTV is not going to be in a hurry to fix it.

At this point it is a minor inconvenience but I could certainly see where this could be turned into a cash cow for DTV were they to exploit it.

Its been happening to me for about 5-6- months. either I turn off the show and resume and then it will go forward or I hit the ff button a little and then start skipping again. Both work but it is annoying. Either way I don't watch the commercial, so if that is their intent it is not working.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)