301 won't power up

new_to_hdtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
not far enough North
I picked up a used 301 today and it turned on fine when i first plugged it in.
I ran a check switch to clear the switch matrix and then plugged in the sat. feed and re-ran to detect the switch. After finding the switch it won't power up. When i unplug the power and re-plug it back in the power light comes on for a second then goes out and won't come back on. I tried doing a reset (by holding the power button in for 10 seconds) and the power light comes on briefly but then goes back out right away.

Is it toast?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

I picked up a used 301 today and it turned on fine when i first plugged it in.
I ran a check switch to clear the switch matrix and then plugged in the sat. feed and re-ran to detect the switch. After finding the switch it won't power up. When i unplug the power and re-plug it back in the power light comes on for a second then goes out and won't come back on. I tried doing a reset (by holding the power button in for 10 seconds) and the power light comes on briefly but then goes back out right away.

Is it toast?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.
IF I were to discover this on a service call I would replace the receiver. From your observations, it is toast.

As was stated before, you might have a short in the cable between the 301 and the dish. If there is one, you should be able to hold the receiver to your ear and hear a buzzing. If you disconect the cable from the dish and the buzz goes away, that is your problem. The receiver is trying to send voltage to the dish and a short will shut it down. On the other hand 301s go down in this manner all the time (for no apparant reason) and have to be replaced.

Update -

I tried plugging it back in last night (w/sat feed connected) and it turned on and said there was an update available. I accepted/downloaded the new update and it seems to be working for the moment, although it said the smart card needs to be replaced.

I'll call Dish and try and activate it.