311 Refuses to detect 119 Even

akschu

Original poster
May 15, 2006
I have a 311 that will not detect satellite 119 Even when doing a switch test. I have another 311 that works fine, both using the same power, cable, everything. Because the second 311 works fine, I have narrowed it down to the receiver, but it just doesn't add up that it would fail in such a way where only half of the channels work.

Anyone have any other suggestions on troubleshooting?
Has anyone seen a failure where a receiver is suddenly unable to see certain sats, but gets others just fine?

akschu said:
I have a 311 that will not detect satellite 119 Even when doing a switch test. I have another 311 that works fine, both using the same power, cable, everything. Because the second 311 works fine, I have narrowed it down to the receiver, but it just doesn't add up that it would fail in such a way where only half of the channels work.

Anyone have any other suggestions on troubleshooting?
Has anyone seen a failure where a receiver is suddenly unable to see certain sats, but gets others just fine?

Disconnect the Sat. In cable from the bad receiver and then do a check switch test.
After the check switch is finished, connect up the Sat. In cable and do another check switch test with it connected.

Then wait for an aquiring satellite signal and guide download.
If receiver is fine, you are good to go.
Failing that, call Dishnetwork.

Thanks for your reply.

Dish network says the receiver is bad, but it doesn't make sense to me that it would kinda work. It seems to me that it would detect all of that sats or non of them. Perhaps I need to accept its bad and buy another one.

schu

Slight chance you have bad cable/connectors or wet central wire after rain. Even transponders required higher voltage +18 VDC, so if the cable's impedance increased and your first receiver going little down to the spec ( +16 VDC for example ), then it could happen. Try to measure VDC on central wire with and without cable connected.

Thanks for the help,

What central wire are you talking about? I opened the case and didn't see anything that was obvious.

thanks,
schu

I tried to measure vdc on the copper wire in the coax and didn't get anything above millvolts. Should I be seeing 18vdc on the F connector?

ok, I tested my good receiver and did get voltage, so I'm sure I have a bad receiver at this point. Any ideas on how to fix it? Is the onboard amplifier fused? If it's not really repairable I'll just pitch it and buy a 322 and save a couple of bucks a month.

schu

akschu said:
ok, I tested my good receiver and did get voltage, so I'm sure I have a bad receiver at this point. Any ideas on how to fix it? Is the onboard amplifier fused? If it's not really repairable I'll just pitch it and buy a 322 and save a couple of bucks a month.

schu
call e* get the 5 dollar receiver protection program....get a replacement then cancel the insurance...should cost you about 5 bucks for 1 month of insurance

I found a 322 on ebay for $75 which will reduce my dish bill $5 so it will pay for itself in a little over a year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts