311 vs 301?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

deuces

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
What is the difference between the 311 and the 301? Dish is taking my 311 when I get my 622, because I will have too many leased receivers. I know someone with a 301 that is not being used. Will I see any difference between the two? Will I be able to use my IR remote converter kit with the 301?

What is the difference between the 311 and the 301? Dish is taking my 311 when I get my 622, because I will have too many leased receivers. I know someone with a 301 that is not being used. Will I see any difference between the two? Will I be able to use my IR remote converter kit with the 301?

I agree with the second post.
Will you be able to get the 301 turned on if you have to many receivers?

I agree with the second post.
Will you be able to get the 301 turned on if you have to many receivers?

Yes he will be able to get it turned on because the limit is si:mad:6) receivers on an account but the second limit is four(4) leased tuners per account. The bigger question is will he have an open port to connect the 301 to the satellite dish?:)

Thanks guys. Great receiver comparison link. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the difference with the Smartcard, and what is 8psk?

Also I think I should be fine on the dish, I am getting the 622 added so I have to get a 1000+ where I am. After that I will have a 622, 942, 522, and then want to add the 301. Is my assumption that I will have room correct?

Last edited:
There is an internal smart card built in for security, in some models. There is also a slot for an external smart card (size of a credit card) if need be. Most models have only had the slot for a card.

8PSK is a way of carrying/modulating a signal, getting IIRC about 30% more data in the same bandwidth. Perhaps someone else can improve on my terminology.

Here is a little more googled explanation of 8PSK.
QPSK can encode 2 bits per symbol.
8PSK can encode 3 bits per symbol.
The provider can use this advantage either for your benefit or their benefit.

What is 8PSK?
8PSK (8 Phase Shift Keying) is a phase modulation algorithm.

Phase modulation is a version of frequency modulation where the phase of the carrier wave is modulated to encode bits of digital information in each phase change.

The "PSK" in 8PSK refers to the use of Phased Shift Keying. Phased Shift Keying is a form of phase modulation which is accomplished by the use of a discrete number of states. 8PSK refers to PSK with 8 states. With half that number of states, you will have QPSK. With twice the number of states as 8PSK, you will have 16PSK.

Because QPSK has 8 possible states 8PSK is able to encode three bits per symbol.

8PSK is less tolerant of link degradation than QPSK, but provides more data capacity.

Thanks for all your help. I may be more confused than ever lol.

So to sum up it, sounds like you all agree I won't see much difference between the 311 and the 301.

Thanks for all your help. I may be more confused than ever lol.

So to sum up it, sounds like you all agree I won't see much difference between the 311 and the 301.

Correct. The 311 is just the newer model and is capable of 8PSK modulation. There's been discussion of moving all programming to 8PSK but until that happens, you'll be fine with a 301.

Thanks. I know someone who is willing to give me the 301 for nothing, so I guess that will have to do until they move everything to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)