322 reboots almost every night

tv watcher

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
I've a Dishnetwork 322. At least almost every night it comes up with a message that states - The system will now power down to check for important system upgrades. Select "No" or "Cancel" to continue viewing TV.
It is message number 513.
The system then reboots and ends up with a screen saver type application of the Dish Network logo bouncing around the screen until someone presses select.
This really screws up the DVR.
Any idea what can be done to stop this?
It has messed up enough recordings and will do so in the future that if I can't get it to stop, I'll have to look at another Sat TV provider.
Thanks

Thanks for the help. But that appears to be a different message. That one states - shut down for inactivity. Mine states power down for important upgrades.

Thanks again. Using that screen, I can change the time it checks for updates. But why is it shutting down the system?
Does everyone's unit shut down once a day when it checks for updates, unless they are there to tell it No or Cancel? If so, then maybe I'm just too particular. Then again I'm spoiled as I've never had it do that before. This started about a month or so ago.

And again, it does not recover from the reboot. I get the screen saver type application with the Dish Network logo bouncing around until someone turns the tv on and hets the select button. Until then any recording that is done will be of that screen saver.
We're lost days of recordings due to this problem.
No, we don't sit down at the tv every day.

I don't know. I might want that headache. Otherwise, I'll be spending hundreds on a new system.
How can I set it to manual? I've looked and don't see any way to do so. Seems there must be a time in place.
And again, thanks for your time and patience with these answers.

Thanks again. Using that screen, I can change the time it checks for updates. But why is it shutting down the system?
Because it can only update if the system is shutdown
Does everyone's unit shut down once a day when it checks for updates, unless they are there to tell it No or Cancel? If so, then maybe I'm just too particular. Then again I'm spoiled as I've never had it do that before. This started about a month or so ago.
It should have been doing always.
You should be able to setup an autotune timer about 30 minutes after the update time (to give it time to finish) to turn it back on.

you may try to set an auto tune timer on the receiver itself. i understand you will be setting two timers to record one show but i believe it will kick into viewing
That's an interesting workaround. Not a perfect solution, but if the auto tune on the reciever will knock out the screen saver, it'll work.
Unfortunatly it'll be a bit before I can try to see if it works.
Thanks

I don't know. I might want that headache. Otherwise, I'll be spending hundreds on a new system.

Call Dish Tech Support and tell them about the problem, especially the recording of the screen saver. That is not normal.

KAB that is perfectly normal a 322 isn't a DVR so he is probably using a stand alone TiVo and what ever is the output that is what is recorded. This is far from the first time this has been posted. The alternate is having no programming guide all DISH receivers go into a standby mode to download programming information and also upgrade software if there is an upgrade available. This receiver isn't rebooting it is merely updating programming guide.

Is there any way to set the 322 to manual update? I wouldn't mind telling it to update every couple of days.
You are right. I'm recording on an external DVR. It records whatever is playing. In this case it's a bouncing DishNetwork logo.
I'd like to take the moment to thank everyone for their replies.

If you never use the guide or care about any new channels or updates that need new software, then disable it. I have a 622 and 722 I couldn't do without my guide info. Without it I'd need to set up all my DVR recording manually. These update is something the receiver needs to do, to keep it current with software updates. Sometimes glitches in a channel or functionality of the receiver can be fixed with a software update. Just change the update time when you won't be viewing or recording.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts