$33,000 TV (no joke)

ahhhh nothing. I just finished a home theater design for a client that was 50K for the projector (and not the most expensive projector I've installed).

Forgot about the 70k Panasonic Plasma.

There will be a television for $2,000-$3,000 in 2-3 years that will be better than that television priced $33,000 today.

Nice to read about and is probably a great TV, but even if I had the extra cash to throw down $33k for a TV, I don't think I would do it. There comes a point when value for each dollar needs to be considered and I just don't think I would get enough bang for each buck on this one.

Nice to read about and is probably a great TV, but even if I had the extra cash to throw down $33k for a TV, I don't think I would do it. There comes a point when value for each dollar needs to be considered and I just don't think I would get enough bang for each buck on this one.

Has anyone actually seen this set? I have (or its predecessor) and the mere specs don't do it justice. This set absolutely blows away any other rear projector, and seems to work well in ambient lighting as well. A 70" picture is enough to give that theater experience. I could definitely see this set built into a wall and being used as a basis for a dedicated home theater.

Not that I can afford it either, but if I was looking at spending $100k on a theater, this would definitly be on my list as an alternative to a front projector.

Bet it doesn't look great either. Sony LCD's are only average looking, and any LCD I've seen over 42" has a much lower picture quality than a plasma in the same range.

What about the 103" Panasonic plasma that retails for $70,000?

I cant see how 20 more inches is worth so much more then its little brother.

The diagonal difference equates to a surface area nearly twice that of the 50" counterpart for the 70" display (~1050 sq in vs ~1950 sq in.).

This is a dramatic increase and the price doesn't scale linearly with surface area unfortunately. You have to have a much bigger perfect mother glass and the reject rate is likely 5-10x for the 70" glass vs the 50" glass. Plus, that same mother glass can make multiple smaller displays or one monster display.

When you add all these in; and the fact that the weight increases dramatically as well it no longer uses the same enclosure design. It has to be scaled up too. That adds more to the price there.

I'm not saying that it costs whatever the price differential is for the two screen sizes; but it is quite a bit more than the simple ratio of the two screen sizes.

Cheers,

:welcome to SatGuys Bigbear2......

Yes that is the sad part someone will buy it, just to find out they can but the same thing six months down the road for half that, but who cares they have more money than sense.

Even worse you can get a top quality 90" - 200" (or more) HDTV right now for less than $3500 (less than $2000 in many cases depending on your needs) BUT they (retail) don't want you to know about that because FPTVs have lower street markup/profit margin and end up costing them (retail) money if they enlighten you; the user.

YES, you heard me right!

Last edited:
Front projectors have one drawback - to get the most out of them you need complete light control. If you don't have it front projection is not for you. But if you do and "theatre experience" is what you are after, nothing can beat a 100"+ image of a HD/BD movie on one of the latest 1080p projectors.
Top quality front projector and screen? I'd say around 15k for a high end FPTV system in that size range.
Having seen a nice setup of a JVC RS1 (for half that much), I've had a hard time to pinpoint what was missing...

Diogen.

yep $5000 can get you top notch home gear, and total light control is VERY easy and inexpensive, so really not a big issue. My den/HT has one patio french door/window and 3 std windows (one direct behind the seating area) and I have NO issues controlling light and achieving a STUNNING picture even during the height of the day..

Speaker Suggestions

Home system help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)