37 million iPhones, 15 million iPads, 5 million macs.. Apple posts 1st Quarter sales data

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
And the NY Times story on it..

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/t...-holiday-customers-snapped-up-iphones.html?hp

With the 37 million iPhones that customers snapped up over the holidays, Apple has sold 183 million of the devices since the product went on sale in 2007. Revenue from the iPhone and iPad — neither of which could be bought five years ago — now accounts for 72 percent of Apple’s total revenue, underscoring the transformation of the company.

And although phones based on Google’s Android operating system had been gaining more customers in recent years, Apple has begun to chip away at some of the advantages of these phones, narrowing Android’s lead in the United States over the holidays.

From 9to 5 Mac,

Despite reports that Verizon’s fourth quarter earnings were hurt mainly by high subsidies for iPhone, Verizon announced on Tuesday it sold 4.3 million iPhones– over 50 percent of the 7.7 million total smartphones sold during the quarter. This statistic follows reports earlier this month that Verizon sold approximately 4.2 million iPhones during the holiday quarter. Compare that figure to the 1.6 million 4G LTE smartphones sold during the same quarter, of which the carrier offers more than 18 (mostly Android) devices versus a few iPhone models. These numbers show consumers are still choosing 3G iOS devices over the latest generation of 4G LTE smartphones from other vendors.

More than 50 percent of Verizon's smartphone sales in the last quarter were even though they sell 18 android/other devices.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Even after Verizon and Sprint get the iPhone and even after all of the complaints about ATT (including myself), ATT is still whopping their arses in iPhone sales and iPhone subs.

One thing you can say is it is the phone and to a lesser extent, the iPad that is the main reason for their success. I would even venture to say that if it were not for apple having the iPhone and iPad their computer sales would be weaker.

i would shoose this over the iphone

tangrey2.jpg

We were talking about this at the office when the reports started coming across the wire.

That was one amazing quarter --

Samsung "only" sold 35 million for the quarter.

That is a lot of smart phones being sold.

Even after Verizon and Sprint get the iPhone and even after all of the complaints about ATT (including myself), ATT is still whopping their arses in iPhone sales and iPhone subs.

One thing you can say is it is the phone and to a lesser extent, the iPad that is the main reason for their success. I would even venture to say that if it were not for apple having the iPhone and iPad their computer sales would be weaker.

AT&T has a bigger base of iPhone users, after 4 years of selling it, and thus they sold more to people who were using upgrades. Verizon has not had it for a year, and built a large base of Android offerings, and now the iPhone represents more than 50% of their smartphone sales.

We were talking about this at the office when the reports started coming across the wire.

That was one amazing quarter --

Samsung "only" sold 35 million for the quarter.

That is a lot of smart phones being sold.

72 million phones between the two companies.

But with 37m sold last quarter, it seems like the critics booing the 4s really have to eat crow. I think the interesting part is how many 3G iphone 4/4s Verizon sold compared to their 4G LTE phones. Its a very healthy competitive market.

I moved two hundred shares of Apple yesterday. New targets have the stock price exceeding Google this year. Most companies move on world events. Apple has it's own catalyst and I don't think we have to worry because Tim Cook is at the helm and not Steve Jobs. The new markets for ipad and iphone replacing Blackberry in businesses will be the main catalyst for the coming year. ebooks for education is exciting but I don't think the numbers will compare. icloud certainly will be the big catalyst for 2013 and 2014. So, this means that you can invest in Apple for the long haul, but there is no money in that until you sell. My strategy is to keep a hundred shares for long term investment and trade 25 to 100 at a time as it cycles. Hard to believe I started out with just 10 shares of my own money in this 3 years ago. I wish all my friends would get into Apple and a few others but to many here, buying the Apple hardware is more important than the company. I like my ipad, hate my MacBookPro, but love the company! Does that make me an Apple fanboy? You bet it does! I'm just not a Machead.

For people like me, it's the bottom line that matters and if a particular technology is falling off, it's because it was replaced by a newer technology (iphone) that converged the tasks into one device. A 21% drop in ipod sales would be of concern if the converged device didn't have significant growth. The same could be said for laptops losing sales due to ipad. But Apple has the ipad so it makes up for that loss or lack of continued growth.

For a person looking at the company, I'm not trying to justify the loss you mention. I'm just saying we look at future company growth, not product sales. We look to future product sales and it's margins as a catalyst to company growth.

berck said:
Great results, but why does everybody brush over the 21% drop in iPod sales from a year ago?

We actually bought two this year, nano and touch ( for my son). But the reason for the drop? I'd argue it has to do with those millions of iPhones :)

Portable music players are a contracting market, as phones continue to get more powerful and do more people naturally don't want to carry more devices if one can do it all. See also: gaming handhelds. They won't go away, but you're much less likely to find someone carrying a phone, tablet, PSP/DS, anymore.

I won't be eating any crow, don't think I ever predicted doom and gloom for the 4S, just that it was underwhelming given what was being offered by competitors. Will consider my options with an open mind yet again in 1.5-2 years when my contract is up. Perhaps Apple and Microsoft will have something more compelling then.

I find this comment in one of those articles misleading:
These numbers show consumers are still choosing 3G iOS devices over the latest generation of 4G LTE smartphones
People are buying iPhones 'cause they want an iPhone, not because of the network it can operate on. Sure, geeks will hold out for LTE, but the average person doesn't care, in fact, likely doesn't know.

Besides, aren't the latest iPhones "4G" already ? :D (Goes back to people don't know)

Disclaimer: This is not an anti-Apple post :)

Also just read a posting over at Redmond Pie about Apple's $100 billion cash reserves and then these reports.... Mind you, I'm all for companies making a profit but Apple could afford to lower the device prices just a little bit and it would probably allow MORE people to buy their products ! The iPhones are so heavily subsidized by the carriers so they're reasonably affordable for wireless customers, but laptops and desktop computers are "high-end" (on price). I'd probably replace all of our home computers (except one) with Macs, but can't afford too !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)