$399 PS3 On The Way?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Seems as if Sony is contracting with another company to manufacture a less featured PS3 for the gamer:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2007...model-made-by-taiwanese-manufacturer-foxconn/

Seems, I read that Gamestop is already listing a new Sku at $449. This for a 20GB PS3:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie_test=1&product_id=020071

My guess is this model will come without the Wi-Fi and the memory stick ports. The only question remains is the hard drive 20gb or 40gb? The drop in the price for the Cell chip, the PS2 chip, the 65n tech and the drop in Blue Diodes with the removal of the above features would allow for Sony to bring this to the market easily at $449 or maybe even $399!:eek:

I beleive it when I see it. I don't see how removing USB ports is saving an significant amount of money you can buy a 4 port usb 2.0 card for $7, but I guess when you cut tons of low cost items you can then drop the price $50-100.

Also something else I just thought of. How in the hell are you going to charge the controllers if they take away the USB ports

Last edited:
I don't believe they will remove the USB ports. But Wi-Fi, the memory stick ports, the PS2 chip, the 65nm on the Cell with the reduced cost of the Cell, the reduced cost of blue diodes , lower cost on the hard drives, reduced cost on the graphics chips -- there are alot of places where Sony can reduce the amount of features and still give you a PS3 that is fully fuctioning and a BD player at the same time.

So, I wonder, does that cheaper graphix card going to be as great as it's more expenive counterpart? It's like watering down a really good drink, like a silver margarita, you know with patron. Not as good if it's water down, I wonder if that applies to this dumb downed ps3...

I don't believe they will remove the USB ports. But Wi-Fi, the memory stick ports, the PS2 chip, the 65nm on the Cell with the reduced cost of the Cell, the reduced cost of blue diodes , lower cost on the hard drives, reduced cost on the graphics chips -- there are alot of places where Sony can reduce the amount of features and still give you a PS3 that is fully fuctioning and a BD player at the same time.

A PS3 without Wi-Fi, Memory stick/card ports, and a 20 GB HD?

Sounds familiar....

I am pretty sure the Gamestop 20 Gb PS3 is the original from 2006 that they have discounted for clearance. I think it is referred to in an earlier thread on this site and I know the Gamestop site has had them for a couple months.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)