3D Comes To DISH Network

3D is coming to other receivers as well.... its just that the 922 is the first one to get an update to do it. :)

But I do agree, I am not paying $7.99 for a bad movie. DISH Network's PPV prices are too high. If they lowered them I would order more movies, but when its $7.99 for one movie or $9.99 for a month of movies from Netflix guess which one I will choose. (And I am hearing 3D movies will soon be available for rent from Netflix anyways...)

DISH needs to learn that if they lowered their PPV pricing they would sell more, the increase in volume would make up for the loss in revenue.
I wonder what the results were of the $1.99 VOD price Dish tried a few months ago?? I ordered two, the only two I ever have....

I wonder what the results were of the $1.99 VOD price Dish tried a few months ago?? I ordered two, the only two I ever have....
If they do special they need to do it for awhile not just 2 days.

Drop the prices across the board for one month and advertise the PPV Fiesta Pricing and see what the sales are... I bet they go UP.

Dish is playing it safe. Why "invest" too much in 3DTV when it's going to die off ? :D

Exactly... I've checked out a few 3D movies at the stores and I'm not impressed at all. Wasn't really impressed with the 3D effects at the movies either. I don't get what all the hype is about.

Shopping for a new TV myself this holiday season and 3D is not a required feature for me.

So let me get this straight...you drop probably $2000+ on a 3D HDTV with very limited programming available currently, $200 or so for each pair of 3D glasses, but Dish is ridiculous for wanting people to upgrade to a 922? :confused:

I've HAD a 3D capable TV for almost 2 years (Mits 73") and glasses with excellent reviews are available online for $59--less in quantity. Had a HDTV for a couple of years before much of anything was available as well and everyone thought that was a waste.:rolleyes:Got a slingbox that works just fine, have no need for the buggy 922--had all the bugginess I'll ever need with the 921.:eek: Hope this is straight enough for ya, lol. To each his own.

Ed

digiblur said:
Exactly... I've checked out a few 3D movies at the stores and I'm not impressed at all. Wasn't really impressed with the 3D effects at the movies either. I don't get what all the hype is about.

Shopping for a new TV myself this holiday season and 3D is not a required feature for me.

You got to try 3d gaming it will change your mind on 3d as it did mine!

But Scott- first one needs to be interested in games!

I agree with you about PPV cost. They need to compete with Netflix pricing. Do a plan like Movie Pass for $35 per month unlimited and see how many they get to sign up.

3D is way too early to buy a 3D monitor. We do need much more programming. Given that 3D hit the scene about 10 months ago, the number of movies out is far less than the number of BluRay disks when that technology hit. The cost of the monitors need to come down as well as the glasses. I plan to jump on board 3D after CES but I'm torn whether to hold out for the projector technology to settle in or spring soon for the flat LED-LCD 55" er. Currently, the lack of programming is what keeps me away. I want every theater 3D release to be available in BluRay 3D immediately before I'll say this is here to stay.

I'll be interested in 3D when this comes in a bezeless 50" version at a sub $1200 price point. Until then, I could care less...

Local retailer had a bezeless, 3D ready 65" Mitz DLP Monday & Tuesday for $599! I've seen it at others for $799 with a FREE 3D starter kit (by mail).;)If one can live with just a bit more depth than the stand of a LCD or even LED TV you'll have an awesome picture for a minimal investment.:) JMHO.

Ed

You got to try 3d gaming it will change your mind on 3d as it did mine!

I don't game much so.... you'll only catch me gaming with the kids for 30 minutes at the most. Guess I just haven't found that game to draw me in again like the days of the original XBox...or maybe I'm just getting old.

I mentioned in another thread about my friend with the messed up eye. Becasue of people like him, 3D will never take off. Why force 3D on a person when they can't see it. For him the glasses only fixes a fuzzy picture into a regular HD image. There otherwise useless. Also, aren't we still trying to get HD access to all channels? Why try to force 3D now? Let's get HD 100% up and running then focus on lame 3D. The real world is all the 3D I need.

Why don't the 722's get 3D?
I am speculating here, but I suspect it's because of GoogleTV integration. Those of you who have GoogleTV on a 922 anyway should try out this 3D movie just to see what happens. I'll bet that GoogleTV interferes in some way with the 3D, and you will have to take it out of the loop (turn it off?) in order to see the movie as it was intended. I further speculate that this will be fixed in a future firmware update of GoogleTV, and thereafter the 722's will get 3D, while the 922 will finally get GoogleTV integration.

I dont think that it...

RUMOR ALERT... I am hearing that Google TV will be available on the 922 in about a month.

I have also heard that 3D support is being tested on the other ViP DVR's currently and the update (and big splash) for 3D will be made at CES.

I dont think that it...

RUMOR ALERT... I am hearing that Google TV will be available on the 922 in about a month.

I have also heard that 3D support is being tested on the other ViP DVR's currently and the update (and big splash) for 3D will be made at CES.
Well, I don't know why you don't think that's it, because (based on the GoogleTV/3D interference) I made the following prediction:

I further speculate that this will be fixed in a future firmware update of GoogleTV, and thereafter the 722's will get 3D, while the 922 will finally get GoogleTV integration.
I think it all fits.

$7.99 seems a little high for a 3d movie rental. I wonder if the studios are charging more for 3d PPV titles so Dish has to charge more than an HD PPV.

I dont think that it...

I have also heard that 3D support is being tested on the other ViP DVR's currently and the update (and big splash) for 3D
will be made at CES.

That is a dumb move on dish part. Why wait until after Christmas for the 922 integration?

I would settle for HD on several channels which Dish currently provides in SD only and full-time HD on the Regional Fox Sports Networks.

3D when they don't carry HD on so many channels? Oh yeah, it's VOD. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I wonder when (or if) ESPN3D will be on Dish. Probably not for another year or two or whatever time it takes for Charlie to get the price that saves us all money (which we never see). If he really wanted to save us money, he might start setting a realistic price on his VOD's -- currently the highest price in the industry for the customer cost-conscious Dish Network...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts