tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
Anyone using a 3D compatible splitter?
My current splitter does not work with 3D and my Directv HR24. if I want to watch Directv 3D I will unhook from the splitter and go straight to the tv. Then when not watching 3D I will go back to the splitter to watch my other HDTV. Would like to stop unhooking at a good price.:)

Anything that carries HDMI 1.3 should carry 3D. We're running Audio Authority to up to 35 TVs (Through 4s and 8s semi chained.:D

Anything that carries HDMI 1.3 should carry 3D. We're running Audio Authority to up to 35 TVs (Through 4s and 8s semi chained.:D
In this case not true. If the switch does not carry the 3d handshake through, then the DirecTv box may not present a 3D signal to the TV. Support for 3d is not in the 1.3 standard. I haven't had DirecTv for 11 years and so cannot test, but I believe others have said they even had problems with DirecTv and certain 3d TV sets doing the handshake correctly. Also true for some other boxes (e.g. Playstation 3) which doesn't work thru an non 1.4 complient switch.

Aside from handshake issues,It doesn't require 1.4 to pass 3D. We could run as many as 64 tvs through our system. The handshake issue is time consuming, so we always leave our source on, to enable quicker tv startup. Seconds instead of 5 to 10 minutes per tv. We have run a PS3 to 4 tvs using the same distribution box.:D

My current splitter is 1.3 and is not recognized as being connected via hdmi by my Directv HR24.
Message reads:
"Your display must be connected using
HDMI"

It works. Had to try several things before it worked. The kicker was to hook the hdmi while the splitter was still powered. Has been working ever since.
ESPN 3D does not work with the splitter. Says my tv does not support 720p. No biggie. Will run straight from HR24 to tv for ESPN 3d.
Funny how my non 3D JVC 250 fp has no problem showing all of the 3D channels with no problem.

It works. Had to try several things before it worked. The kicker was to hook the hdmi while the splitter was still powered. Has been working ever since.
ESPN 3D does not work with the splitter. Says my tv does not support 720p. No biggie. Will run straight from HR24 to tv for ESPN 3d.
Funny how my non 3D JVC 250 fp has no problem showing all of the 3D channels with no problem.

More than likely it only supports the mandatory formats of 1.4a. Directv broadcasts ESPN3D in 720p SbS, which is an optional format. The mandatory format for 720p is Top/Bottom. I can't watch ESPN3D on my JVC X3, either. Same problem with the 3D PPV. D* uses 1080p SbS, which is an optional format. 1080p T/B is the mandatory format. I'm still going rounds with them, since they are fed both feeds.

S~

teachsac- You nailed it. Before I got my new AVR I used a 1.3 switcher and it never recognized the optional formats. I even have a BD here that has 1080i SBS ( a Holland production) and it will not switch with the 1.3 switcher. However. I could manually put the projector in that SBS mode and the 3D would work. So, I never needed to switch the cables around, just put the projector in SBS mode for any non-standard format. I've heard a lot of issues with DirecTV 3D channels and it seems that the only need is to do things manually. One of these days these optional formats will die off I hope. Do you remember that one of the complaints about 3D is no standards? Well, we have a standard and we just need a few remaining companies to follow it.

The other complaint about the TV not supporting 3D-- I've had that issue here with my latest 1.4a system and it has been sourced to a loose HDMI cable from the OPPO BD-93 to the AVR. I think it may be my cable as I've switched it out now and the problem went away and hasn't returned. I used to jiggle it and it would then connect.

Yeap. A few TVs do handle all formats both optional and mandatory, i.e. Panasonic plasma series, not all do though, like JVC.

S~

I just bought this one. I'll let you know, delivery is today:
For only $46.58 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1X2 PRO Series Powered HDMI Splitter with 3D support (Rev. 2.0) | HDMI Active & Powered Splitters

1X2 PRO Series Powered HDMI Splitter with 3D support (Rev. 2.0)
The PRO Series Powered Splitters by Monoprice are high quality, high performance, High Speed HDMI rated signal splitters for splitting the HDMI video & audio signal from your source device to multiple displays. The HDMI-120E3 provides one input and two outputs on gold plated connectors. It fully supports high bandwidth 1080p video and high resolution digital DTS-HD and Dolby True HD 7.1 channel audio. A built-in powered equalizer ensures reliable connections for longer cable runs. An attractive metal housing shields it from interference and provides years of use.

I have the monoprice one and it works fine. I have it connected to one 3D TV and one non-3D TV and it works fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)