Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just getting word that AT&T and DISNEY have come to a deal and AT&T will soon be readding ESPN3D to its lineup, after removing it from its UVERSE service last year.

Now that only leaves DISH as the only major outlet not to offer ESPN3D. Even my local COMCAST now even carries ESPN3D.

Scott- what ever became of your friend who was spreading those rumors of gloom and doom for ESPN3D last July? I recall the Executive Producer at ESPN I spoke with was really curious to know who it was that was spreading those rumors. :)

Anyway, the little fat guy that was also spreading Gloom and Doom 3D Rumors from the Dish Network Booth last year was not present. I did speak with a great rep on Thursday at Dish who promised to push for some of the 3D channels, I requested 3Net and ESPN3D. He too claimed he was a 3D enthusiast and wanted Dish to start 3D carriage.
He also spent some time with me pushing the Hopper and after listening to what I currently had ( a rare talent for Dish Network reps "listening to customers") I promised to review my system, billing and look into the Hopper with one Joey for replacing my cureent twin 722K and twin OTA and twin sling. Unfortunately, I would be giving up some OTA capability and one stream of sling ( not really needed) and only save ( according to him) $3 a month. So it wasn't a good upgrade except to have the latest technology. But, I did promise to look into it closer. Maybe this summer. :) If they offer the aforementioned 3D channels on Hopper only, I'll be quick to jump with the Kangaroo!

Don it was actually two people that were telling me that, one in production and one in transmission. I just report what I hear both the good and bad.

I would like to see DISH offer some 3D besides just VOD.

2 722k's should be costing you $7DVR + $17 extra receiver fee. 1 Hopper + 1 Joey should cost you $10 + $7. So, by my reckoning, that should be a savings of $7, not $3. Or... To retain the 2 Sling streams, you could go with 2 Hopper 2000s (with existing Sling Adapters) or 2 Hoppers w/Sling for the same price as 1 Hopper w/1 Joey. That 2nd Hopper remains quite a bargain.

Yeah, I know, but you did little to verify the false accusation. I don't hold it against you but good reporters always try to verify a story with credible counter sources. I guess you heard it from 2 sources and felt that made the story true. I'm no reporter, but the first thing I did when you told me was walk to the ESPN booth and talk to one of the people with a credible title on their badge. He led me to the Executive Producer where I asked about the claim of going off the air. It seemed obvious to me that the EP had heard these rumors too and was not happy and wanted to know the source. She was quite defensive and showed me how ESPN corporate had just increased their budget for production and programming. Based on what I heard, and the general mood of fearing 3D in the industry, I felt you had talked to someone with an agenda or ax to grind on ESPN or 3D or both among the lower ranks. But that was just my gut feeling. It doesn't make sense for budgets to be increased on the eve of shutdown.

As one who worked in advertising, we always had to be able to document the truth in our claims. But it seemed to me there was never any checks on press and stories are published and do great harm if untrue. But the reporters walk away with no consequences. Bloggers and internet press have even less oversight. A local news director for a TV station here had a sign in his office. "THINK RATINGS, Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."

2 722k's should be costing you $7DVR + $17 extra receiver fee. 1 Hopper + 1 Joey should cost you $10 + $7. So, by my reckoning, that should be a savings of $7, not $3. Or... To retain the 2 Sling streams, you could go with 2 Hopper 2000s (with existing Sling Adapters) or 2 Hoppers w/Sling for the same price as 1 Hopper w/1 Joey. That 2nd Hopper remains quite a bargain.

Thanks for that. I printed that out for my files and will keep it in mind when reviewing. Have to weigh in what the upfront cost is. BTW- I have one sling adapter but the Sling HD box on my other 722k. I really only use one, the sling HD now, but was told to ask for the Hopper with Sling or I will not get the latest model Hopper.

If Dish decides to activate 3D channels, that'll be great for the 3D enthusiasts. Just make sure that Charlie turns on 3D for ALL HD receivers. And the reason I say that is because Bell Satellite TV in Canada (which also gets their receivers from Echostar) offers 3D on their receivers and when you look at the pics, their HD PVR looks like a VIP 612 and their HD receiver looks like a 211k. So unless the Bell receivers are using different chips, there should be no reason to just activate 3D for the 722k, 922 and hopper only. Look at page 4 on here ( http://www.bell.ca/styles/tv/en/on/pdfs/channels/channels_ON.pdf ) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Every silver lining has a cloud...

Considering how awful HD is on U-verse, I can't even begin to imagine how terrible ESPN 3D must look on it.

It would be nice if someone would carry a channel with 3D content which is actually interesting, like 3net. ESPN is just about the most boring thing you could pick to showcase the technology.

Speaking of Dish and 3D:

Last day at CES I stopped by the Dish booth and spoke to a rep who told me that Dish has 3D VOD and I should check it out. I agreed to do that. While the web page says it carries VOD in some titles in 3D I can't determine which ones those are. If I scan through the guide on all titles I know are 3D releases, none of these are stated as 3D in the dish guide.

Is there a special channel for 3D VOD? What do they charge for the titles in 3D? I find a range of prices from $4.99 to $7.99 often for the same title on different channels and don't understand the difference. Some say limited recording. Anyone here ever see 3D VOD on Dish? What's the deal on this?

Thanks Scott.

Is this what I look for in the guide?:

DISH-Movies-Now-in-3d.jpg

I found this article that helps explain it a bit more.

One way I think enthusiasts like me need to do now to show the Flat World believers at Dish there are some serious 3D enthusiasts out here is to rent a few of these, even if they cost a buck or so more right now. I promise to do my part.