3D Update

The bottom line is that a single 3D channel would be nice. It would satisfy a lot of subscribers. It would be no skin off the noses of the naysayers, other than perhaps their ego's noses.

It wouldn't hurt Dish to try it out. ESPN and/or Discovery might be willing to include it with their bundle at no add'l charge to Dish. Give it a 90 day trial. If there isn't enough viewership, they can pull it, easily enough. Or, perhaps they can offer some ESPN 3D games on a part-time basis, the way they do with RSN HD. There are a number of options.

3D is the quadraphonic sound of the 21st Century. A seemingly good idea, but no traction. 3D is OUT, and 4K is really in. While I am not jumping on the 4K bandwagon, it is clear the HDTV manufactures really believe this to be the future and Broadcom as developed technology, similar to MPEG, to transport 4K (and it can be used for all data such as SD and HDTV) within the constraints of bandwidth limited cable and satellite, although one would expect that to improve over the next few years.

4K is actually not as expensive nor as challenging as the OLED HDTV displays that the HDTV manufactures seems to have given up on, and this is part of the reason 4K probably has a future. Also, as the size of HDTV displays increase while coming DOWN on price, 1080i just doesn't seem all that HD on a 60" Plus size screen a few feet away, and consumers have made clear that there is no HDTV size that is too big. People will buy the 70 and 80" displays as the price comes down, and that gives 4K a home and a REAL purpose. I've com accorss more people investing in expensive projectors for that 100" experience. 4K HDTV's will be much LESS expensive than the projectors and probably with better results. People don't really want 3D (and even at CES a few years ago when 3D was all the rage, the vast majority of those who were impressed with 3D said they would not likely invest in a 3D TV) they want more CLARITY, more DETAIL, especially on that 90" screen people will buy.

There is synergy between the two, DishSubLA. As Don Landis (?) reported from the last CES, passive 1080P 3D sets were not that great because you would see dark lines or blockiness if you got too close. But 4K passive 3D sets looked great. Of course if you want a 100" TV, then I supposed 4K might be needed even without 3D. So... If active 3D gives you a headache and costs too much for glasses, then passive 3D 4K sets are the answer.

Well I looked for 3D news from CES from a multitude of online sources, but nothing was said. The 4K and OLED seems to be this years "in thing". Also read on Forbes website an article http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/10/ces-2013-3d-tv-is-dead-long-live-4k/ about 3D being dead, The Verge also reported the same due to lack of 3D at CES http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852452/death-of-3d . And if you want to take the time Google 3d is dead and you will see pages results.

What I am wondering is will they incorporate 3D into 4K and OLED. Then 3D will stay alive as a feature normal to many TV's.

Why couldn't 3D broadcast just be part of a channel. They do it now, if the program is SD on a HD channel, it doesn't make it magically HD(unless your system upconverts). So say when The Hobbit, filmed in 3D is broadcast on say HBO, let HBO provide it in 3D. The 3D sets will have 3D, the HD sets will have it in HD, SD sets in SD. Everybody can be happy.

4K and OLED are way out of most consumers reach economically, at least for now.
Obviously 3D is not going away as many here and elsewhere predicted.
Prices are coming down and not because of non-interset, 3D is becoming mainstream for makers and will continue to do so.

Everything looks better in 3D. Try viewing life with one eye.

Yes but there is a point where if you overdo 3D as in The Hobbit, apparently the human eyes have problems processing it. From what I read, in The Hobbit "everything" was in focus no matter if it was standing right in front of you or was a mile away. Our brains don't acclimate to this because it is not natural. Try it for yourself, focus on something a couple of feet away from you, without shifting focus look past the near object to anything 10 feet away.

3D is becoming mainstream for makers and will continue to do so.
Becoming? 3D has been mainstream with makers for a long time, even before there were many 3D movies or other content available. I challenge you to find a mid-to-upper range TV set model introduced within the last 2 years that doesn't have 3D as a feature. It was a forced adoption by TV makers (and Hollywood) trying to drive up consumer demand, instead of consumer-driven market demand.

Becoming? 3D has been mainstream with makers for a long time, even before there were many 3D movies or other content available. I challenge you to find a mid-to-upper range TV set model introduced within the last 2 years that doesn't have 3D as a feature. It was a forced adoption by TV makers (and Hollywood) trying to drive up consumer demand, instead of consumer-driven market demand.
Look, I've had a 3D Samsung since 09, I just order a new one, bigger and better......I'm on onboard, 3D for whatever reason is not going away as some here and elsewhere have predicted. :coffee

Sharp LC70LE734U.... I bought one of these last year, didn't go for the 3D model which was $1000 more!

Yup gotta love the 3d trolls :D

My Panny 60" 3D rox

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Sharp LC70LE734U.... I bought one of these last year, didn't go for the 3D model which was $1000 more!

Yup gotta love the 3d trolls :D

My Panny 60" 3D rox

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

No troll from me, I am not anti 3D, just didn't feel like it was worth an extra $1000.... :) Dare challenged to find a model that didn't include 3D, I pointed one out to him.

I love how presenting objective facts is considered trolling. There was nothing pro- or anti- anything in my post. :rolleyes:

The fact is there is a large disparity between the availability of 3D-capable hardware and available content. One was driven by producers, the other driven by market.

Having 3D capabilities included in the TV doesn't make the technology a success. It's probably a "freebie" and part of a common chipset.

Just because one of our cars is Sirius "ready" does not mean we use the service...we don't.

And Sirius will no doubt use the total # of vehicles with that option to their benefit just like people will use "the number of 3DTVs out there" the same way. Take the # of Sirius subscribers as a meaningful number though... Same with number of 3d movies sold or number of 3d channels for true value.

Question: Do 3d versions of movies come as a combo-pack typically or are they normally sold on their own ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)