3D Update

johnfw

Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
United States
I was at my sisters house today and she switched from Dish to DTV. Her reason was she just got a new lg tv with 3d and she wanted to have some 3d programing to watch. Watching tennis on ESPD3D was amazing. I just wander how many people like her have switched since they are selling so many 3d tvs now. I was wondering if anybody on here has heard anything about Dish getting 3d channels? Seems to me like I read where they were suppose to get 3d last year. I would like to stay with Dish but this has got me thinking maybe this is what I need to do. :confused:

3D has gone nowhere. I would rather put a fork in my eye than watch Tennis, 3D or not. My point is, there is virtually nothing I watch that is in 3D, not one Network. Even the biggest event on TV, the Superbowl is not in 3D. I am guessing 1/2 of 1% of anyone who switched to Direct TV did so for 3D.

I think you are making a wrong assumption that people who are buying 3D TV's are doing so for the 3D. Not true in many cases. They buy them because they are the high end with wanted features. Even then many times it's a passing fascination when there is an interest. Remember, unless you get a 3D blu-ray player (and sales are not particularly good) then there is precious little to watch in 3D no matter the provider.

This is from just four (4) months ago;
"3D viewership is so tiny that The Nielsen Co.'s methods are unable to capture any meaningful data about viewers' programming preferences."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/09/29/3d-tv-viewership-rate/1602741/

Last edited:
Aside from Tampa8's bilious diatribe on the subject, 3D as the "next wave" is not doing very well. DIRECTV has reduced their own 3D channel (n3D) to events only. Only 3net and ESPN remain as linear channels. The demise of ESPN 3D appears to have been a poor prediction but the content is limited and appears to be very expensive for the amount of viewership it gets.

While some of the new TV buyers are getting 3D capable televisions, they aren't using them much, if at all, for 3D.

I have had my 3d tv for almost a year and have watched very little 3d because there is very little available. I do have a 3d bluray player that came with my tv but it would be nice to have programming to watch when I want it. One thing I have been doing lately is watching Lg 3d Demo SBS on Youtube . That is pretty wild when you see things coming out of the screen into the room.

To me, 3D is more of a gimmick. It's cool the first time, and I'm sure kids like it, but for me, it's just not at a point where it's worth it to pay the extra money for it.

If we could get 3D programming to a level like the holodecks on the Star Trek shows (even without the interactivity), then it would be worth it. But I don't see that happening for a long time.

I have had my 3d tv for almost a year and have watched very little 3d because there is very little available. I do have a 3d bluray player that came with my tv but it would be nice to have programming to watch when I want it. One thing I have been doing lately is watching Lg 3d Demo SBS on Youtube . That is pretty wild when you see things coming out of the screen into the room.
I watch a little 3D everyday, ignore the haters and go with your gut ...

I just got a 73" 3D DLP set this past year and like it just fine. At the time I was with Direct and after looking at the 3D offerings and finding them not so good except for movies that are available everywhere, I switched to get Epix and ReelzHD and to save a few bucks.

I watch some 3D movies, haven't found any sports in 3D that I cared for. I use the 2D to 3D internal conversion on the TV with some movies.

Right now I'd say if 3D disappeared I wouldn't miss it.

Hey John - Isn't it weird how when an owner of a 3DTV, like yourself, makes a perfectly innocent and logical point about how it would be nice to have a little more 3D programming - not a huge amount, or a request for everything to be in 3D - just a simple request for a little more 3D programming, a group of people with a surprisingly strong hatred for 3D programming, and would not be affected in any negative way if there was a little more 3D programming, find it necessary to spend an inordinate amount of time and energy pointing out what an awful thing 3DTV is?

Yeah. it is weird.

Hey John - Isn't it weird how when an owner of a 3DTV, like yourself, makes a perfectly innocent and logical point about how it would be nice to have a little more 3D programming - not a huge amount, or a request for everything to be in 3D - just a simple request for a little more 3D programming, a group of people with a surprisingly strong hatred for 3D programming, and would not be affected in any negative way if there was a little more 3D programming, find it necessary to spend an inordinate amount of time and energy pointing out what an awful thing 3DTV is?

Yeah. it is weird.
Exactly, pretty much any post about 3D gets the same result in the Dish forum and to a lesser extent the DIRECTV forum ... Wait till 4k starts threatening to take away space. ;)

Well, since 4K greatly improves 3D, they're connected.

4K may well drive greater 3D acceptance.

Yeah. it is weird.
You act like you're new here (not). Not weird. Normal. ;)

If a car manufacture offers a new feature, such as Bluetooth, before long there competition will offer that feature. If a television manufacture a new feature, before long there competition will offer that feature. If a cell phone manufacture offers a new feature, before long there competition will offer that feature. I am just baffled why the buffoons that run this company cannot provide a feature that there direct competition has been providing for a long while. Just because my car has Bluetooth does not mean that I will use it but it is there if I want to, same with 3D. Whew, now I feel better.

Many competing companies offer things that the others don't. They look at demand, for example, as one factor in adding it. Odds are, Dish has supporting data that justifies to them that they don't need to add 3D programming. Will they lose a small number of customers ? Maybe.... Will more people huff and puff about it and ultimately do nothing in the end ? Yeap....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)