3D Update

Personally, I'd use the absence of a 3D option as a reason to PREFER that company; having the good sense to reject this new version of "quadrophonic audio" type nonsense is a sign that the company has enough intelligence that I want to be their customer.

Our Vizio passive 3D TV and Blu-Ray 3D player allows us to see 3D movies very well. Being handicaped we don't like 3D at the movie theaters. The handicap locations are way too close to the screen. Dish's limited 3D offerings and their PPV recording rules are very bad. We now have a library of more than 30 3D titles and growing. Dish has lost the opportunity to get our money. Losing sales is not a good business model.

I think the amount of people wanting 3d ppv is very small, but relatively. I would be willing to bet they save as much money, if not more than they would make by adding more 3d and paying for it and giving up that band width to support it.

Our Vizio passive 3D TV and Blu-Ray 3D player allows us to see 3D movies very well. Being handicaped we don't like 3D at the movie theaters. The handicap locations are way too close to the screen. Dish's limited 3D offerings and their PPV recording rules are very bad. We now have a library of more than 30 3D titles and growing. Dish has lost the opportunity to get our money. Losing sales is not a good business model.

You are in the extreme minority however. Dish might actually lose money to add it compared to how many would leave over not having the little programming there is in 3D. (Little programming not just my words, it's in many articles) What you said is what people said about NY RSN's, but Dish has publicly said they looked at how many subscribers would be affected, how many statistically cared about those RSN's, and acted accordingly. They dropped or did not pick up those expensive RSN's. Same thing is in play here. They might be better to lose you than to spend the money to keep you. BTW, that also is exactly what they did about three years ago - did not give offers to people who do not pay their bills and decided better to lose customers who do not pay. (Has nothing to do with you paying your bills - it's an example) The point is that is the Dish business plan, if less subscribers who pay means more profit, that is what they will do.

I'm sure if it looks like it would be a plus to subscribers in general to have 3D they will do it.

Many of us have posted many articles supporting this in this forum in another thread. And I did in my first post if you read it all. You can start with at least 1/3 of subscribers probably do not even have an HD TV as of about one year ago. Then the facts about 3D gets ugly. For all the hoopla, no one statistically cares. Add to that even if you like 3D, does that automatically mean you would switch from Dish? Even if you want to argue yes, the percentage is miniscule.
It's time to ask the question, where's the sources that say there is an abundance of 3D available aside from Blu-ray. Where's the sources that say a large percentage have a 3D set and actually watch 3D with any regularity? Where's any source at all that would back-up Dish needs to get 3D or risks losing any real number of subscribers? Or gain any real number if they had it.

http://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...s-have-hi-def-tv-with-room.html#axzz2L0PMGGpv
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/09/29/3d-tv-viewership-rate/1602741/
http://consumerist.com/2012/10/02/by-the-numbers-why-3d-tv-still-has-a-long-way-to-go/

Last edited:
Many of us have posted many articles supporting this in this forum in another thread. And I did in my first post if you read it all. You can start with at least 1/3 of subscribers probably
Source?
do not even have an HD TV as of about one year ago. Then the facts about 3D gets ugly. For all the hoopla, no one statistically cares. Add to that even if you like 3D, does that automatically mean you would switch from Dish? Even if you want to argue yes, the percentage is miniscule.
It's time to ask the question, where's the sources that say there is an abundance of 3D available aside from Blu-ray. Where's the sources that say a large percentage have a 3D set and actually watch 3D with any regularity? Where's any source at all that would back-up Dish needs to get 3D or risks losing any real number of subscribers? Or gain any real number if they had it.

http://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...s-have-hi-def-tv-with-room.html#axzz2L0PMGGpv
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/09/29/3d-tv-viewership-rate/1602741/
http://consumerist.com/2012/10/02/by-the-numbers-why-3d-tv-still-has-a-long-way-to-go/
And all of the above has what to do with the op's topic?
I was at my sisters house today and she switched from Dish to DTV. Her reason was she just got a new lg tv with 3d and she wanted to have some 3d programing to watch. Watching tennis on ESPD3D was amazing. I just wander how many people like her have switched since they are selling so many 3d tvs now. I was wondering if anybody on here has heard anything about Dish getting 3d channels? Seems to me like I read where they were suppose to get 3d last year. I would like to stay with Dish but this has got me thinking maybe this is what I need to do. :confused:

Easy, I said not many, statistically none, and backed it up. Nice try by the way, you asked me to show sources for a comment to another post, I did, now change the discussion...

If you are also asking my source that 1/3 probably do not even have an HD TV, I gave it to you in the links. I don't fault anyone for wanting 3D if they want 3D, just don't make it sound like Dish is dropping the ball and droves are leaving or will leave over it or even lose any money over it. At least not at this time.

Last edited:
I can vouch that I'm also in the category of not caring about 3D. Yes it's cool, I would probably watch a movie or so in 3D just to say that I did, but I am the type of person that likes to watch movies more than once, and I would loathe the idea of wearing 3D glasses every time I wanted to watch the movie again. I would rent a 3D bluray, but I will never buy a 3d bluray. As for TV's, I will buy a 3D TV if it has other features I want and 3D is just an extra, I will not spend the extra money to get 3D over a regular HDTV.

Cheap passive glasses, and more content, will drive acceptance. No glasses required at all would create an active desire.

This and more bandwidth. I'd rather have more "life-like" 2D HD than 3D with the same amount of bandwidth (split in half.)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Many competing companies offer things that the others don't. They look at demand, for example, as one factor in adding it. Odds are, Dish has supporting data that justifies to them that they don't need to add 3D programming. Will they lose a small number of customers ? Maybe.... Will more people huff and puff about it and ultimately do nothing in the end ? Yeap....
I wonder what kind of data DirectTV has that made them decide to provide 3d programming.

That's a great question, which I don't know the answer to of course. Maybe just took a chance to be ahead of the curve? Maybe they and ESPN have a financial arrangement for the ESPN channel? As simple as someone with a say at Direct TV likes 3D? There are times companies do something that statistics don't support but they go ahead with the concept anyway. I'm not comparing 3D to desktop computers, but there were several companies that balked anyone would ever want or need a computer in their home. Of course there are concepts brought to market where the statistics were correct and it never should have been......
Sometimes what's right and works for one company just doesn't for another for various reasons.

Last edited:
dfergie, I know it seems like some are "smashing your toy". But, I know you just pretty much depend on 3D BD. I think you really know the reality of the matter otherwise.

I wonder what kind of data DirectTV has that made them decide to provide 3d programming.
They may do it simply because Dish doesn't. No one knows.... As I understand, D* even changed ESPN3D to a part-time channel. They wouldn't do that if it were wildly popular ! How many 3D channels does D* offer ?

An article I read a few months ago said that the ratings company Nielsen can't measure 3D viewer number because the number is so small.

29 years ago I sat in a darken cinema waiting to watch the 30th anniversary re-release of “The Creature from the Black Lagoon” in all of it’s 3D glory. By the end of the movie I had a headache and my eyes hurt from the strain. I have NEVER watched any 3D content since. I honestly hope they can make this 60 year old technology more relevant, but for now I believe it is only a scam to bilk more money out of customers, while adding little to story substance or quality.

Lol, it's not a scam, marketing maybe. Some movies do benefit from being in 3D. And the LG passive system to me is not bad and may solve the headache problem for some. It's a niche at this point however, that does have followers. Problem is the amount available especially non movie and non blu-ray and that many movies or programs really don't benefit from being in 3D. My premise is as a provider there is no reason for Dish to put resources towards it at this time. But Avatar as one example does look great in 3D.

Last edited:
3D ticket sales tanked the last half of 2012. (Which actually started Q3, 20110) The ticket cost keeps increasing. People are choosing the cheaper alternative, as they are realizing it's not worth it. Hollywood is already starting to pull the plug again...and shortly thereafter, won't be much BD.

Last edited:
The last movie I saw in a theater was The Hobbit. I very purposefully went to the 48fps 3D showing. I was much more interested in the 48 fps. I was not all that enthralled with either...

I went out and bought a 3D Blu-Ray movie just to experience the 3D. It was OK but i'm not about to go out and buy 3D movies because they're costly and i'd probably only watch the movie once or twice. That said, i would appreciate Dish providing some 3D content in some fashion. A part time channel or the capability to download a movie periodically would be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts