Votes: 98 34.8%
  • Be everywhere within 5 years

Votes: 20 7.1%
  • Be a niche mainly for Movies and Sports

Votes: 150 53.2%
  • Other, please explain.

Votes: 14 5.0%

• Total voters
No, I don't care about 3D, and I don't think 3D will catch on enough to justify actually broadcasting it, but I do think it could hang around as a nitch technology for playable media (at least for a while). I'd be more interested in it as a future technology if it was coupled with an even wider screen version of an HD television-- imagine a 12:5 screen (same as 2.4:1 common cinema standard-- 35% wider than 16:9) with 3D capability. That would be the ultimate home theater experience! As the switch to HD has already proven, wider is the way to go, and there'd be no reason to worry about the wasted space on the ends when viewing 16:9 broadcast programming considering the possiblities for internet based widgets and such to take up the slack. I think that as the television industry converts more and more to purely digital cinematography, there will be another opportunity to rewrite the norm when it comes to aspect ratios-- and 3D could ride it's coattails. Maybe then consumers would see it as worth a big investment in new equipment.

I will not watch it if its not HD. I will not watch DVD or Action Movies on Dish(more for sound than picture). I was an early HD adopter and will not look back. But 3D is a niche product and always will be a niche product.

On the flip side the techie in me wants to run down and pick one up. Even more so now that my DVR can do it. If its there you got to use it right;)

I have watched 3D at Disney World that is amazing with people watching from all over a large auditorium and I think without glasses.
If you saw the one I saw, it was with relatively cheap glasses using circular polarizers. This is vastly superior to linear polarizers because you can tilt your head a little without mixing the images. Agree that $150/glasses is a non-starter. One wonders why manufacturers aren't using relatively cheap circular polarizers instead? Obviously projection systems can use it, but perhaps LCDs cannot due to the fact that they already use polarized light to turn on and off pixels. (Just thinking about this casually, you could do it even using LCDs at the loss of 1/2 your brightness.) Maybe plasma displays will make a comeback for 3D.

Don't care. Won't ever care.
If they stop selling non -3d tv's I guess I'll watch everything on my computers. I am not laying out $3k or more plus the cost of those dopey glasses for 3d.
I would most likely get a headache from it anyway.

I don’t think 3DTV will take off anytime soon, and in the end it might be a total failure, but in Spring of 2011 I’ll be buying a 3DTV. My dinosaur of an HDTV will be turning 5 years old in January and it’s time for me to get something new. My TV I have now cost me $2100 so that is my benchmark for price. I’ll go a little higher if need be to get a better product, but not lower. Sony is my brand of choice and pretty much everything at that price level is 3D, so why not buy one? If it turns out 3D is a massive failure or something new comes along that is better, or 3D that doesn’t require glasses, then so be it. By the time that any of that happens I’ll be looking to dump that TV for something new anyway. So I’ll just enjoy it while I got it and take advantage of it while I can.

I played a demo of some 3D video game at Ultimate Electronics, cool stuff and that’s what inspired me to look into 3DTVs. Thing is I hate video gaming, I don’t have the attention span for it, I get too bored with it very quickly. I wasn’t even done with the demo I and was bored already. A PS3 or Xbox 360 would get maybe3 months of use with me and then just sit there and collect dust. Time Warner has some 3D content both live events and On Demand, and I’ll get a 3D Blu Ray player to go along with the TV. Either way even if I never watch a second of 3D content I'll still have one hell of a TV to enjoy for the next 5 years.

I don't sit still when I have the television on, and I'm not about to wear glasses again (having just eliminated glasses with cataract surgery).

So-called 3D won't be important until it is actually a 3D image on a 3-D "display", a 3-dimensional hologram viewable from any angle. That's more than 5 years out.

I'd be satisfied now if all the sports and movies I watch were in HD, never mind 3D.

At this point it is just a gimmick to sell new tv's, because sales are flat. I believe in a couple of years, if it exist at all, it will be glasses only. All that's really needed is two hi res displays, one for each eye. No need to have a tv at all for a 3d effect.

At last year's TCM Film Festival, I had the incredible opportunity to participate in a panel discussion with Douglas Trumbull, the special effects designer for 2001, A Space Odyssey. [Douglas Trumbull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]. The original panel was allocated one hour and Trumbull ended up talking for more than 2 hours. After the panel finally broke, more than 20 of us had the unique opportunity to go one-on-one with him for another 20 minutes.

While the bulk of the discussion was about his special effects work on 2001, and how his ground-breaking techniques, coupled with some of the techniques originally used by Mêlées and the Lumière Brothers, beginning in 1883, with Edison following a few years later - including multiple double and triple looping of the negatives in the camera, masking parts of the film plane/gate, etc; he did talk about his work in the extremely high-resolution, 3D film projects, including IMAX 3D, which he has developed for theme parks and corporate events. Because of his long years of work, and film speeds of up to 120 frames per second, those installations produce unnerving realism on the screen - to the point of not having the audience being able to discern between the actors and props on a stage and the rear-projection behind them.

As part of that work, one of the issues which became extremely clear to him was the fact that both HD and 3D will require much more than 24 frames per second to make them work properly:

• HD, because of the blur effect caused when something moves at an extremely high rate of speed in front of the camera. If there are only 24 frames of data in a second, and the television is attempting to refresh at a rate of 60 or 120 frames per second, it can either blank the frames between the actual data or fill with data from a previous frame - it cannot anticipate.
  • 3D, because the ocular center of the eyes - the distance between the center of the eyes, is only 2.5 inches on average.
    • 3D cameras capture the 3D data because they use two lenses and bring together two data streams of "sight" - just like the eyes.
    • The problem lies in the fact that if an object moves more than 2.5 inches while being filmed [captured] in 3D, at the rate of 24 frames per second, the second lens [eye] never sees the object travel in front of the lens and the capability to capture that 3D effect is lost forever.
  • In order to properly capture and store 3D for future playback, Trumbull stated that the capture of 3D imaging data, either on film, or electronically, needs to be done at a much higher frame per second rate. These rates begin to become efficient when you approach 60 frames per second and max out at the rate of 120 frames per second, which, according to Trumbull, is also the optimum frame capture/reproduction rate for digital projectors.

Trumbull has an exceptional background in digital film technology, including holding the patent for 3D IMAX. More information can be found on Trumbull's website: Special Venues | Douglas Trumbull - Immersive Media and Visual Effects

So, in response to your question, "3D TV, Do You Care?," I see multiple issues blocking its adoption on a large enough scale to be either fully effective or fully profitable:

• I do not believe the technology will be available at a price reasonably low enough for the producers to produce a truly real product that is not just a gimmick;
  • I do not believe the technology will be available at a low enough price for the consumers to enjoy true 3D realism in their homes as true 3D will require an extremely controlled viewing environment.
  • I do not believe that either the satellite or cable companies are, or will be, willing to make the proper investment into their delivery systems to deliver the bandwidth for end-users to properly view TRUE 3D.
This is backed up by the fact that delivery companies like Comcast are now beginning to limit bandwidth to subscribers and Dish Network delivers only HD LITE - even in their 1080i formats.

For the full experience, true HD, at the level of Blu-Ray content delivery requires up to 54 Mbps to deliver full content and experience.

That will soon be raised to 288 megabytes, to wit: "According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps). Blu-ray also has the potential for much higher speeds, as a result of the larger numerical aperture (NA) adopted by Blu-ray Disc. The large NA value effectively means that Blu-ray will require less recording power and lower disc rotation speed than DVD and HD-DVD to achieve the same data transfer rate. While the media itself limited the recording speed in the past, the only limiting factor for Blu-ray is the capacity of the hardware. If we assume a maximum disc rotation speed of 10,000 RPM, then 12x at the outer diameter should be possible (about 400Mbps). This is why the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) already has plans to raise the speed to 8x (288Mbps) or more in the future." Source: Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray FAQ

SUMMARY: At this time, there is no possible way that either Dish Network or Direct TV will be able to provide enough satellite bandwidth to honor the new 288Mbps Blu-ray specifications when it is released. Both Comcast and AT&T - even after fully upgrading their delivery networks to fiber optic to the set-top box, will be hard-pressed to allocate that kind of deliver speed as well.

3D will be a niche item with some 3D elements being delivered to sporting enthusiasts - at the expense of sub-channels and content for non-sports interested viewers by those stations delivering such content.

TRUE 3D will be an experience deliverable only via the new 288Mbps Blu-ray format and will require either a new generation of theatre [ala IMAX 3D - which Trumbull holds the patent to], or dedicated home theatre rooms affordable to only the very wealthy, die-hard television and home theatre fans - with content being delivered via fiber optic or dedicated satellite sources.

I find 3D annoying in the theater and in the stores where it is being demo'ed. The "industry" has been playing around with this since the 50's and it still hasnt caught on in any meaningful way. This is the next big thing for television makers to sell new "sets" as the market for new flat screens matures after the digital conversion.

My understanding is that 3D TV technology today is not done with polarization, but with alternating images synched with the glasses so your left eye sees the screen when the left image is there and the right eye sees the right image when it is there.

This method MUST use glasses, and they will never be $2.00 a piece, because they must synchronize using bluetooth or some other RF communication protocol.

The 3D at Disney World and Sea World is done with polarized glasses using 2 projectors, simultaneously projecting left and right images each polarized to match the left and right lens in their $0.25 glasses.

I do not see how this method can be transferred to flat screen LCD type TV's.

A home projection system could work using 2 projectors with proper polarized lenses and the cheap polarized glasses.

With the current LCD system, it is just too fast for you to blink eyes alternately in sync and see a coherent picture without the expensive glasses.

3D tv's are too expensive. I can buy 2 regular hd tvs of the same size for the price of one equally sized 3d tv and a pair of glasses.

When the nfl, nba and mlb start broadcasting the games in 3d, I might consider buying a 3d tv, until then it's a no on 3d tv for me.

Avatar was great in 3D, but it was purposely designed in it. 2 cameras providing the required lateral displacement and the whole 9 yards. Animation looks good too because lateral displacement can be programmed in. But everything else looks like crap because it's all done post-production. I don't see ESPN setting up 2 HD cameras (they don't use 1080p ones now) several feet apart at every shooting angle of every event they broadcast plus adding in the equipment to broadcast those separate images (probably only at 30 Hz per eye due to coat anyway). That means software somewhere will be attempting to figure it out, and it will look like Clash of the Titans, not Avatar. Me, I'll just wait for a Holodeck!

3D does not use 2 cameras, it uses a special 3D camera with parallel reception tubes placed approximately 10 inches apart, wider separation would make the 3D effect look hookey.

ESPN showed their 3D cameras on a Boise State game several weeks ago. They look like the little android from Short Circuit, two big eyes.

3D does not use 2 cameras, it uses a special 3D camera with parallel reception tubes placed approximately 10 inches apart, wider separation would make the 3D effect look hookey.

ESPN showed their 3D cameras on a Boise State game several weeks ago. They look like the little android from Short Circuit, two big eyes.
Bingo, they had a 3Dcam at CES this year where you could view on monitors real time what it was viewing at the Panasonic booth (with the glasses)

+1 for the above statement. It will not be going away, and just be another feature available on ALL tv's in the future. Something you can tyurn on/off at will within a TV menu.
yep, it will be just like picture in picture or some other rarely used feature on TVs. It will neither be a failure or success. Just another feature.

My feeling is that TVs were already evolving to the point where the hardware met the technical requirements for 3D without much extra effort on the part of the manufacturers. So now the TV manufacturers have found a new gimmick to market.

EXACTLY! Another gimmick to market. Just look at history. Color tv, Stereo tv,480p for dvds,HD first in -720,1080i,then it was 1080p, 60 hz,120hz and now 3-D! A progression of tech gimmicks used to get people to keep on buying at the store. Although in the beginning, there was a larger amount of years between each gimmick. We went for about 10 -15 years before stereo tv came after color tv. Then about 15 years before hd came in after stereo. And now ten years after the debut of hd , we have 3-D. So maybe if they waited another 5 years, people would of wanted this new tech gimmick. But instead they rushed it to the market, right after most people upgraded to hd, because of the digital transition. So it will stay a gimmick that will fade away or will be included in basic hd tvs and will be rarely used, unless they invent 3-D without glasses. Then I bet video gamers will be the ones who will use it the most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)