L670 SD channels stretched

smoeke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Pennsylvania
Help.

since my update to L670 my SD channels randomly are stretched to full screen, i press aspect button and the aspect desciption changes,but the screen stays stretched, i can switch to another sd channel and sometimes it will go back to regular gray bar screen, other time it wont,when it does i then go back to the channel i want and it still is stretched, my HD channels are all fine.

if i go into hd setup and select 480i and then reset to 1080i it will fix the stretch channels for that session, but next time i watch tv my SD are stretched again.

i wish the 2 or 3 channels i am watching in SD were Hd (disney,local CW,local news) but since they are SD this is driving me crazy,its like the old TBS stretch o vision.

anyone lese with this issue?

I'm seeing the same thing on my 722. A similar thing exists on HD channels on the SD output of my 622 with L630. It's pretty crappy software. :down

SD stretch and weird rebooting - all due to L670??

I'm getting stretch on every SD channel I've checked, and it's also stretching SD stuff I recorded before the L670 update. My L670 update happened 12 to 24 hours ago (wasn't there this time yesterday, but was there after a midday "spontaneous" reboot 12 hours ago), but the SD stretch only started sometime in the last 8 hours. It wasn't stretching 8 hours ago when I watched an SD channel live.

I tried the HD setup trick that smoeke mentioned (thanks for that!), but it didn't work for me :(

Not sure if this is related to L670, but that midday reboot was very different from any previous reboot -- the fan usually would run for 1-3 minutes then I would see the Acquiring Signal test 1 thru 4 until the signal returned. Now the fan runs less 1-3 *seconds* and then loses all signal to the tv for about 60-90 seconds, then says something about taking up to 5 minutes but the signal returns in less than a minute after that. Is this a warning sign of hard drive issues, or just an L670 change?

IIRC, the new fan behavior on boot is in the release notes. Just got this update last night. I haven't noiticed a stretched SD channel as yet.

still stretching SD on one tuner

I finally got the beginnings of an answer from a loyalty rep--this stretching is only on the TV2 tuner, but since I'm using Single mode, I couldn't tell which tuner I was watching. No stretching if I tune to an SD station when I swap tuners. The hard reboot didn't solve it for me, so I'm looking for any other suggestions anyone can give please.

TV1 and TV2 tuners are identical and like the OTA and are HD or SD depending on the channel.
The outputs labeled 1 and 2 are HD/SD and SD-only, respectively.
The */format key changes the output shape, differently for the two outputs, not changing the inputs.
Which output and which remote are you using? Press * while watching and check the formats.
It should remember the selected format, separately for SD and HD programs on each output.
-Ken

I'm having the exact same problem with my 722 ever since L670 was installed around 30 Sep or 01 Oct. The SD picture on Tuner 2 is stretched permanently. I operate my 722 in the Single Mode so that I get both tuners on one single TV. In Dual Mode, Tuner 2 can be sent to a second TV which would operate in SD only. I called Dish and reported the stretched picture to them well over a month ago and they authorized a brand new 722 for me. They agreed that Tuner 2 should not be stretched on SD even though Tuner 2 is an SD tuner only when used in the Dual Mode for a second TV. After I hooked up and formatted the new 722, I called Dish to authorize the new 722 and de-authorize the old 722. They authorized my new 722 and both tuners worked properly for about four hours. The SD picture on Tuner 2 was not stretched and responded from the 4:3 Normal Mode to the Stretch Mode to the Zoom Mode and back to the 4:3 Normal Mode just like it was supposed to. Unfortunately, that didn't last. Four hours after the authorization of my new 722, the SD on Tuner 2 froze in the Stretch Mode just as my original 722 did. BTW, the main tuner, Tuner 1, always operates normally without any stretch on SD.

I immediately suspected that the latest software version L670 was the culprit. L670 was on my original 722 and was now it was on the new 722. After I called Dish again, a new rep agreed that L670 might be the problem and that I should wait for L671 to be downloaded within the week and to see if that doesn't cure the problem. Well, L671 didn't cure the problem and I was pissed. I called Dish back again and still another different rep this time tried to tell me that my TV was to blame and not the 722. He said he had no idea what was going on but regardless it wasn't the fault of the 722. I decided to wait one additional week and I called Dish one more time for an update. This rep, yet still another one, listened to my problem closely and after several tests agreed that my TV was fine and that it was definitely the 722 acting up. He asked me to wait another day until he went home and personally checked both his 722 and 722K. The next day, the same rep called me back and told me that sure enough that his 722 was doing exactly the same thing as mine was doing and also that his 722K was acting normal and was not affected by L670. I felt finally vindicated. We both agreed that the culprit was faulty software and in this case it was L670 that was the culprit. He told me that he would turn in a technical report to the Engineering people and that was about a week ago. I haven't heard anything since.

I don't know how much longer I'm going to be patient with Dish. Their customer service with very few exceptions sucks. I am not going to keep paying them my hard earned dollars for an inferior product. Either they get this problem straightened out or I am gone. I've been with Dish almost 10 years and I like their product. But, I don't like being made to feel like a fool when I report a legit problem and I don't appreciate being ignored while they take their own sweet time fixing this problem that is if they are even fixing it.

I had to replace my receiver that was affected by this stretch for an unrelated issue. When it went through setup, it skipped straight to L671. Don't want to jinx myself, but this 722 is working much better. I think that having it skip straight over L670 made all the difference. I worked with several very patient CSRs/Techs while ordering this replacement and doing my own swap-out, and when they saw that I'd had a few issue calls involving L670, one CSR offered to extend the Starz package (I'd gotten 3 months free during the Fox issues) out to a year for free :)

So hats off to the Loyalty department -- they understood that I knew how to do my own troubleshooting and didn't make me do it again, and then offered to reward me for having to have done it. I hope this stretch issue clears up for everyone soon!

I have the solution...

It is NOT bad software or a bad receiver...

Symptoms - (ONLY one tuner affected in Single mode) Picture is in stretch mode regardless of FORMAT setting. When in PIP (side-by-side) one tuner video is always stretched to fill entire half screen.

I had my 722 replaced last week after a hard drive failure, and experienced the same stretched picture issue, on one tuner only, on the new receiver. I immediately suspected the new receiver, of course. I called Dish tech support last night and spoke to two different techs. The first insisted there was something wrong with my Sony TV! Absurd!! I demanded to talk to his supervisor. The second tech kept asking about my "second TV." I couldn't seem to get it into his head that I only had one TV and ran in single mode. He admitted that he ran his 722 with two TVs and was not familiar with the single TV setup. After arguing with Dish for 20 minutes I finally got a new receiver authorized.

This morning I woke up with an epiphany. I pulled up the System Setup (6) menu and selected Shared View (2). Shared View for Single Mode Only was Disabled. I changed this to Enabled, and voilà, problem resolved.

I called Dish tech support back immediately and asked to cancel the replacement reciever (can't do it - need to reject delivery) and then asked why two technicians did not know about this setting. She did some research and found nothing related to this problem. I had her document this as a known issue, so maybe (in six months) it will be in every techs notes.

Please let me know if this fixes the issue for anybody else. I would hate to find out that it only works for me.

Gregg