Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I got home last night with just 3 minutes to spare before the launch of 3net, the new 3D channel from Discovery, Sony and IMAX.

Got my glasses and and got to enjoy the launch.

First show up was a show about the Great Wall of China. Very interesting program with some amazing scenery. A visit to the Great Wall just might be something I may have add to my bucket list to see in person before I did.

It was very well done although I felt that they showed the same thing for too long. They would show a stationary shot of part of the Great Wall for sometimes up to 2 minutes while the narrator talked and told the story at the great wall. To me it would have been better if they showed more varying shots instead of all these stationary shots. The 3D looked good however in most of the shots.

The next show was one that took us underwater. I wondered the entire time how they shot this 3d masterpiece under the water. The colors were amazing and the shots were hard to imagine anyone or a big camera down there as the sea life seemed not to know they were there. The lighting underwater to bring out all the colors under the sea was also top notch.

After that I saw the Bon Jovi video which was filled with Sony products. I have seen this video before in 3D and last night on 3net the sound was WAY out of sync with Bon Jovi's lips. I am wondering if they have a sync problem since it was the first time they showed someone talking and speaking (or in this case singing) at the same time.

Besides the Lip Sync the only thing that bugged me about 3net was the commercials. They showed the same 4 commercials OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. Some people will say to give them a break as its a new network. But my feeling is they knew when they were going on the air and should have had more commercials to air then just the 4 they kept showing. Even my wife was getting annoyed of seeing them over and over again.

But to give 3net some credit they beat ESPN by 24 hours by becoming the countries first 24 hour national 3D network. And some people dont want to believe it but the 3d revolution is coming. 2 national 3D channels in 24 hours time is great news for 3d fans.

Did anyone else tune in? What did you think?

I managed to get through the one on china and the underwater show before I started getting a massive headache. I can only watch fake 3d only so long before my eye freak out and my head starts to pound. I like the content but I am not as convienced as you on the whole 3d is around to say I dont think dish is going ot get into any 3d channels wars.

I thought the presentations were very well done. Into the Deep was spectacular. I didn't watch the BJ video, so I don't know about the sync. The commercials didn't bother me that much as I just FF'd through them. At least they were about the programming on the channel, and not some car, insurance, etc. Who would want to see Flo in 3D?

S~

Watched Forgotten Planet. No lip sync problems. Did catch the Bon Jovi video and it was out of sync.

S~

How long are you guys finding you can watch before it starts bothering you? Most Ive ever done is a 2hr 3D movie at the Imax (which did not bother me at all).

Gotcha, about a movie. I wonder what fball game or nascar is going to be like. Guess you could pull the glasses off for breaks and such.

I wish the TV knew when you were wearing 3d glasses so when you were not you would just see it in 2D until you had the glases on then 3d would kick in. :)

I dig the channel. Cant wait till ESPN go 24/7. The 3D X games is really good!
Given that ESPN 3D will be playing their entirely library of 60 events back-to-back, you'll need to be careful about checking the listings to see what's new.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)