3Net to Launch First 4K TV Series.

Looking forward to this. Having seen 4K 3D is definitely eye candy.

I see only 2 negatives to this progression-
1. After watching 4K, going back to 2K will be like watching HD and going back to regular SD.
2. This will stir up a whole new bunch of negative Nancy threads who will constantly bitch and moan about 4K being dead for the next 10 years.

I'm in the process of changing my HT room to accommodate a 65" LCD LED 4K 3D panel. By the time I'm ready, they should be down to a reasonable price.

I think front projector is the way to go to really enjoy 4K. I just hope more companies will get on board around CES to drive the prices down next year.
It will probably be a year or two before I am ready to buy one though.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

CES2012 had two projectors in 4K. One from JVC and one from Sony. No 3D passive!

I have a Sony Projector now and the 2D and 3D is great but I won't buy another 3D projector until it is in passive format. Active glasses is tiring after 90 minutes of 3D. There are several passive projection systems out but none offer good picture quality. All are washed out.

My theater redesign is to accommodate two screens, one, a 65" LCD LED 4k 3D panel and keep my existing Sony VPL VW90ES. Ideally, the panel behind the roll down 110" screen.

CES2012 had two projectors in 4K. One from JVC and one from Sony. No 3D passive!

I have a Sony Projector now and the 2D and 3D is great but I won't buy another 3D projector until it is in passive format. Active glasses is tiring after 90 minutes of 3D. There are several passive projection systems out but none offer good picture quality. All are washed out.

My theater redesign is to accommodate two screens, one, a 65" LCD LED 4k 3D panel and keep my existing Sony VPL VW90ES. Ideally, the panel behind the roll down 110" screen.

I too would consider a 3D passive projector once they get the quality up. But, I believe you have to invest in a new screen (silver) for it to work.

Yes, Passive requires a screen capable of retaining polarity. Not necessarily silver, but that is one known technology. There was a company last year that had a white looking screen that was demoed for passive. Not commercially available.

I guess I will be one of those doomsayers.

I would love to have a system that could handle this, and would be very willing to do some upgrades to get there. However, it hasn't been all that long since the country in general upgraded from 480i to 1080p. I don't think the majority would see this as a compelling reason to throw away 2 year old sets.

Projector owners are still a very small market segment. In my own case, I spent around $5K in upgrades 2 years ago to set up a nice projector system. 3D came around soon after, and to take advantage, I would need to upgrade projector, receiver and BluRay player (disclaimer: I upgraded the BR anyway). Lets say I had done that. Immediately afterward 4K becomes available, and if I am hearing this correctly, I would again need to upgrade all of the above, plus screen. Not only that, but the 4K components would be at an incrementally higher price. That means tossing the $5k system and spending another $6-8K. Tough to justify.

And if I am in that situation, what percentage of that small slice of projector owners will jump on this? My guess is that it will take some time before enough are ready to allow economies of scale that drive prices down.

The most compelling "need" for 4K immediately is in the 3D Passive monitors market. Regardless of what you may hear from sales and marketing types, the truth is that technically, the passive monitors do reduce the resolution in 3D mode, so given a 4K panel, the reduction puts 3D back in the full HDTV resolution that we get with 2D.

The use of 4K for 3D sounds nice, but there is no need to jump into it for 2D content display since there are no present plans to distribute 2D 4K content. You are correct to assume that when you wish to display 2D 4K content, it won't just be the monitor or projector, but the entire signal path and source content will need to be 4K compatible.

My only reason to want 4K is for 3D passive.

So, will it be doomed? I doubt it. It will continue to develop and as the cost of these 4K sets come down, other parts of the display chain will surface, including content.

To compare where we are with 4K is to make a comparison in 3D to where home 3D was back when the interleave alternate line systems came out for CRT TV's. About 20 special titles were released before it faded into the background. Then the only long term 3D format was anaglyph which never did die off. Then active shutter system broke and 3D has been alive as a specialty viewing format for several years now.

Presently, the 4K $20,000 panels are there for those who just have to have it and have the money. I assume none of these buyers even have any way to generate a 4K signal for display. The time to get into 4K for 2D content is when you see the entire display chain being offered, ie, movies, network channels, players, new bluRay disk standards, and switching systems in receivers that permit passage of 4K content. These panels are the horses that will pull the cart of all the other stuff into the market. We had the same leader in 3D. Unlike audio where we had content in multichannel surround long before the rest of the chain was out.

I don't see folks replacing their newer HD sets anytime soon. I just got a 3D set this summer and there's not that much content other than dvd's. Upgrading anytime soon will be for the techies not the average tv watcher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts