3rd hopper?

jeffcustom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
I currently have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I want to replace 1 joey with another hopper to get more tuners. I have spoke with 2 dish reps and both told me that I can not add another hopper, that 2 hoppers are the max. I have seen post where people said they have 3 hoppers. How do I get the 3rd hopper if dish will not activate it on my account?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thats what I thought. The rep said that I could not activate the hopper at all.

You can activate a certain limit of joeys per hopper, a certain number of 211's in a hopper setup(2), and can only have 1 hopper if you want a super Joey. But you can do multiple hoppers without issue(i don't think dish will install them for you, but will activate them).

That's a ton of hoppers! Do they all talk to each other?
Yes, they are all integrated. You just select one of four playlists at each Hopper. I have one Joey too, it is integrated with all four Hoppers as well.

Say you have a Hopper w/Sling on your "home" system and you wire it (as recommended for two HWS) in with a Hopper w/Sling you brought back with you from your "cabin" system. Each HWS belongs to a different DISH account. Will they play nice with each other?

Say you have a Hopper w/Sling on your "home" system and you wire it (as recommended for two HWS) in with a Hopper w/Sling you brought back with you from your "cabin" system. Each HWS belongs to a different DISH account. Will they play nice with each other?
I have done this on a two hopper setup and the answer is no. They will still work, but they will not work together. Joets cannot link to hoppers not on the account either(I forget the error message it gives but it is along the lines of "not on same account").

I assume that at best, the "cabin" HWS will be able to receive a signal from the satellite(s) and record shows. But those shows won't be able to be watched on "home" devices for the reason ChadT41 mentioned. Thanks for the input ChadT41.

Not a problem. If it helps, that was actually a 4 hopper 4 Joey setup with 2 of each from the account.

Charles Shell should be here in a while. He's got 4 Hoppers activated... :)
Sorry I missed this thread. I am having trouble with SatGuys forum for some reason not receiving email notifications for new threads and replies. Email notifications works but intermittent for some reason.

Yep, my 4 HWSs worked great and they all can see each other including my 2 Wireless Joeys and regular Joey. I have reduced down to 3 HWSs now since my kid moved out. The only problem I have that started a while back is the occasional remote control lockup. The issue is if you have two or more Hoppers in the system and rigged up so they can all see each other. Remote control lockup started after one of the software updates. Hopefully DISH will fix it sometime.

You can activate a certain limit of joeys per hopper, a certain number of 211's in a hopper setup(2), and can only have 1 hopper if you want a super Joey. But you can do multiple hoppers without issue(i don't think dish will install them for you, but will activate them).
When I switched to Hopper/Joeys from VIP722s the DISH technician installed all four Hoppers and Joey. I had two purchased Hoppers waiting for him when he arrived and also three OTA modules. Technician installed everything. I already had installed two DPP44 switches and two Dual Nodes before he arrived. He was surprised all four HWSs could see each other.

Reactions: Troch77
I currently have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I want to replace 1 joey with another hopper to get more tuners. I have spoke with 2 dish reps and both told me that I can not add another hopper, that 2 hoppers are the max. I have seen post where people said they have 3 hoppers. How do I get the 3rd hopper if dish will not activate it on my account?

jeffcustom, purchase your 3rd Hopper and then PM a DIRT member to help you with the activation if needed. Here is my diagram of a 4 Hopper setup if it helps you any. Also a diagram of my 3 Hopper system since I have reduced down to 3 HWSs.

Attachments

• 4 Hopper Diagram PTAT MoCA.jpg
    4 Hopper Diagram PTAT MoCA.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 3 Hopper Diagram PTAT MoCA.jpg
    3 Hopper Diagram PTAT MoCA.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 135

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)