3TB EHD

Ok, so I have a 500gb that I want to replace with 2 separate 2tb units, once I transfer all the stuff off the 500gb how do I get the Hopper to not recognize it as the #1 EHD?

If you can't see them how do you transfer items to or from them?
You selectively power up the ones you want. Label them, because Dish WON'T!

And you can't count on one always being EHD 1 instead of EHD 2.

I hope to finish a project one day to catalog each EHD.

And it would NICE to be able to transfer from EHD 1 directly to EHD 2!

Reactions: Woody469
Just thought of another stupid question, can't you only physically connect one up at a time? Or is there more than one USB port? Sorry if that's a stupid question, just never dawned on me to use mor than one till I learned the max capacity was 2tb...

You will know the 500 GB from the TB ones because it will show the available space, and size capacity to use on the transfer screen.

Reactions: Woody469
Just thought of another stupid question, can't you only physically connect one up at a time? Or is there more than one USB port? Sorry if that's a stupid question, just never dawned on me to use mor than one till I learned the max capacity was 2tb...
Woody,

You've got another two ports on the rear panel. Also, you can add a powered hub to any of the ports.

Dave

And there is that 999 recordings limit per EHD to be aware of.

With a 3TB drive that would be 999 3GB recordings to just about fill it up.

Pardon my butting in, but I'm considering switching from DirecTV to Dish.

Do the EHD's combine with the internal drive on the Hoppers? So 2TB EHD = 4TB total capacity?
Are the recordings shown on a single playlist with the internal drive?
I understand the Dish uses USB instead of eSATA. Any issues with speed over the USB?

Thanks.

No the EHD stays separate and is used as an archive.

No the EHD has its own list.

It's USB 2.0. The drive itself may limit the speed but I have not had any issues.

So, just to make it exquisitely clear, you keep the internal drive AND you also have the EHD. And EHDs can move from one receiver to another. Tied to account, not receiver.

I'm guessing the archive vs replacement question is because with DTV you can add an ehd but it disables the internal drive. Is my assumption correct? If so, that is not how Dish does it, it is in addition to the internal drive and you can use multiple(2 at a single time, but unlimited amounts of drives) with the Dish system. Also, don't forget, if you go the Dish route, and you want to save an additional $50, message one of the pub members here and get a referral code from one of us. I would recommend one of these fine gentleman that want a Xbox One, and although I'm happy to give you one of my codes, I would receive limited benefits from it, since I already got one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)