4:2:0 4:2:2 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
Ok which of the two is supported by FTA receivers, and the DVB world receiver.

Also I notice that some channels locked in on my Coolsat 5000 have a green distortion of lines and are not viewable. Are these channels that I lock in 4:2:2 ? Thus I would need a 4:2:2 compliant receiver or DVB world receiver w/ Computer.

Is 4:2:2 HD ?

Forum Members that have this setup, would you say that 4:2:2 is more for wild feeds and not very practical, or the trend for future broadcasts and worth having even if its for a computer setup which is more economical.

Please write your experiences, how great the resolution is, is tiling just as prevalent with low quality signal, how much better it is watching pro sports.

Most receivers only support 4:2:0 (There are some very expensive ones that will work with 4:2:2)

The DVB World USB Receiver will work for......

4:2:0 / HD

4:2:2 / HD

Will also play AC3 audio right through the PC speakers.

4:2:2 is ONLY used for wild feeds...

And in my opinion its a MUST have for this hobby, the picture quality after its decoded is just the same as 4:2:0

Whoops.........Green distorted lines usually mean a HD signal......

PSB said:

4:2:2 is ONLY used for wild feeds...

Pete
There are some channels up there that are 4:2:2

The NBC mux at AMC1 for example :)

They are few and far between, but mostly they are feeds

Iceberg said:
Pete

Cool! Will check that out later!

4:2:2 doesn't mean HD....

Just because the video portion of a channel uses 4:2:2 doesn't mean that it is HD. Many channels out there use Standard Definition resolution (720x480 interlaced) and broadcast using 4:2:2. 4:2:2 refers to the color portion of the MPEG-2 video stream. The higher the ratio, the richer the colors that are produced from the video. 4:2:0 does not carry as good color information as does 4:2:2. HDTV, like SDTV can use 4:2:0. Most HDTV does however use the higher ratio to have richer colors along with the high resolution.

SDTV color information 4:2:0, 4:2:2
HDTV color information 4:2:0, 4:2:2

I think there is also one that is in the middle known as 4:2:1, but I don't think it is as common as 4:2:0 or 4:2:2.

Update: 4:2:2 has a much larger resolution on the color portion of the signal than 4:2:0. 4:2:0 uses half aspect ratioed chrominance and 4:2:2 uses full aspect ratio chrominance. This alone improves the color of the overall video portion. Notice that the chrominance (color portion) is not fully equal to the luminance (light/black) portion of the video in sharpness and resolution, but the eye gets most of the detail in the luminance portion of the signal.

mp2format.gif

Attachments

• mp2format.gif
    mp2format.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Iceberg said:
Pete

THANKS for the reminder Iceberg!

Very fruitful!

lilyarbie said:
I think there is also one that is in the middle known as 4:2:1, but I don't think it is as common as 4:2:0 or 4:2:2.
DV video (what most consumer and some pro digital camcorders use) uses 4:1:1 for chroma sampling. DV still looks pretty good...

Thanks for the replies , since I'm still paying off my current set up, I'll wait a while to jump into 4:2:2 , I did have a look at those high end receivers Quali _ _ _ , any chance Motorola would jump into FTA Mpeg 2 incorporating it into 4DTV , that would be a sweet receiver, no slaving, guess thats not going to happen since they're pushing Digicipher 2, still a nice thought and I bet sales would skyrocket for them.

jayelem said:
...any chance Motorola would jump into FTA Mpeg 2 incorporating it into 4DTV , that would be a sweet receiver, no slaving, guess thats not going to happen since they're pushing Digicipher 2, still a nice thought and I bet sales would skyrocket for them.
If there were enough demand for it, I'm sure they would. They already manufacture professional Digicipher II receivers that also pick up DVB and DVB 4:2:2, but no conusmer models that I'm aware of.

""I'll wait a while to jump into 4:2:2 , I did have a look at those high end receivers Quali _ _ _ , ""

What did you think of the QualiTV receiver? It takes a good week to work around the menus to learn them easily.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts