another nubie question...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bill Dobbs

Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Are the advantages of the Coolsat 5000 worth the additional cost over a less expensive receiver like the Fortec Lifetime? I know it costs about $50 more.

Don't know too much about either, except

Bill Dobbs said:
Are the advantages of the Coolsat 5000 worth the additional cost over a less expensive receiver like the Fortec Lifetime? I know it costs about $50 more.

I think the Coolsat 5000 has component video out and the fortec does not. I am not sure if that means that much since the Fortec has SVHS and we are not dealing with High def stuff with either receiver. Iceberg and Pete will be sure to add!!!
Jeff

In my opinion, if it has USALS, diseq, manual PID entry and the menus are both easy to find and easy to use, go for it. Some of the boxes out there have a better picture than others. S-video out is a plus, and AC3 out capabilities (albiet not absolutely required for 95% of FTA)is an asset. I bought my first box for around 100$ and now have 2 (digiwave 7000 and Fortec Lifetime Ultra), both solid boxes in my opinion and cheaper than those you listed.

The Coolsat has component outputs.

I have both a Coolsat & a Fortec (and a Viacast, Captiveworks, NeoSat, Satworks and Pansat 1500) :) and the Fortec does what i need it to do

-Both will do AC-3 output
-Both will do manual PID entry
-Both have USALS & 1.2
-Both can use a switch
-Both have blind scan
-The Coolsat is faster scan but does miss stuff versus the Fortec.

Tony.....you think you have enough receivers.....LOL

Wholly crap...

14 Free to Air receivers - $3000

22 FTA dishes (various sizes) - $2000

14 HTH motors - $1500

Only having two eyes, the ability to watch 2 TV's max at the same time, but dying with the most toys........Priceless

Can't wait to see the pics of the dish farm at your house in 5 years.

I’m accumulated a few receivers in my time…heck, I just sold my KUsat (Digiwave) the other day.

Only have 5 dishes on the roof right now (well 4 on the roof one on the deck)

To think what it would look like if I lived somewhere with no HOA and a real good southern view :D

the ability to watch 2 TV's max at the same time
nah. Have 3 TV's set up in the same area so on a good night I've had all 3 going (especially during hockey games) :D

Holy crap...

sharris said:
Tony.....you think you have enough receivers.....LOL

Wholly crap...

14 Free to Air receivers - $3000

22 FTA dishes (various sizes) - $2000

14 HTH motors - $1500

Only having two eyes, the ability to watch 2 TV's max at the same time, but dying with the most toys........Priceless

Can't wait to see the pics of the dish farm at your house in 5 years.

I thought I was bad with a Bud, 4dtv, and FTA receiver! I WANT A PICTURE!

With that setup, he could supply the whole neighborhood with FTA! I bet the power company is happy with him:D

jeff

Last edited:
giz
He's exaggerating....my signature has most of my FTA equipment.

Items that I have that are not on the list
-Satworks 3688 (trying to fix it)
-Pansat 1500
-Toshiba Analog TRX1420 (2 of them)
-Uniden 4200 analog receiver

and the 6000 which is up for sale :)

exaggerating

Iceberg said:
giz
He's exaggerating....my signature has most of my FTA equipment.

Items that I have that are not on the list
-Satworks 3688 (trying to fix it)
-Pansat 1500
-Toshiba Analog TRX1420 (2 of them)
-Uniden 4200 analog receiver

and the 6000 which is up for sale :)

Hi Ice....

I believe you, but a question....What has happened to all those receivers, LNBF's etc that you have been kind enough to review?:D
I admit, FTA (and 4dtv) are addictive!!!
Getting warmer here...might hit 60 today and only got down to 32 last night! HEAT WAVE!

Getting all my tools ready to do my spring BUD tune ups!!! I may even have the weather/time to replace my dish mover with the 24" Superjack I bought this winter

I also have a bad habit with this stuff...I buy it and then am too lazy to install when the weather is bad...after all, I have the FTA and 4dtv going just fine....need motivation!!!!

BTW...I have convenienced another friend to dump is pizza and buy FTA...he was over and saw all the retro stuff on G10R!:devil:

Regards
Jeff

Regards
Jeff

The LNB’s I still have. Using the Invacom Quad on one motorized, the Sadoun .4 on my G10 dish and the Xtreme on the other Motorized. The Xtreme II is a backup

Most of the receivers I still have (Coolsat 5000, Pansat 6000, NeoSat, Captiveworks, Pansat 1500, Viacast, Fortec), one went to a good home and a couple I had to give back or were sold.

I’ve got a spare bedroom with so many parts and stuff there its crazy. I’ve got 3 FTA dishes in there right now (40x30 Primestar, 39x23 DirecPC and 32x20 DirecPC) along with lots of Dish 500’s, DirecTv dishes, LNB’s (gotta love yard sales and dumpster diving) cabling, and parts.

I guess I could say “Hello my name is Iceberg and I am a free to air addict” :D

Iceberg said:
I’ve got a spare bedroom with so many parts and stuff there its crazy. I’ve got 3 FTA dishes in there right now (40x30 Primestar, 39x23 DirecPC and 32x20 DirecPC) along with lots of Dish 500’s, DirecTv dishes, LNB’s (gotta love yard sales and dumpster diving) cabling, and parts.

My latest dumpster diving excursions have netted me a bent-up Dish500 (for hardware parts), a Superdish (without LNBs and without pole mount on back), and a square planar microwave antenna (not sure what I can do with this yet, 802.11 wireless?)...

Thats a good one.I was experimenting a little bit last summer with some wifi stuff and I cam across that same site.Pretty interesting.I have also seen pringle cans used for wifi.

Iceberg said:
Everyone together: "Hi Iceberg!"

Then Iceberg would go on to say, "It started innocently enough, I just wanted some free radio!"... :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts